C7 hangs on a daily basis after latest updates

Could you please grab 2.3.8.123 and see if it resolves the issue?
If not, please PM me the hub id, I'll check the engineering logs on the hub.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes. I agree, however other than platform updates, I've not done anything to the hub.
All the changes in drivers / apps and were done afterwards as a means to resolve the issue...

I'm not a programmer, so I don't write those drivers / apps. The best I can do is keep those drivers and apps up to date...I'm using either internal drivers for Shelly if available, or Shelly released drives, these are now however 4 years old at least...

I've been thinking of upgrading my hub to C-8 Pro now, but untill these are resolved, those errors will just take a bit longer to chew throught the bigger memory...

Doing so now, thank you!

So are you saying that you have frequent errors in the logs?
If you share them we might be able to tell you what the issue is.... (screenshots of logs please)

If they are system drivers staff cannot fix errors they do not know about. For custom drivers you would want to post about it on the thread where they are posted. The dev or other users may have fixes or solutions.

1 Like

No, not at all, up untill the update I didn't have errors or very seldom errors usually resolved by updating apps / drivers...

Now the only error I have is this morning:

The device is Shelly RGBW White.

After the update to 2.3.8.123, no errors and no hangs!

1 Like

@gopher.ny may have win in his pocket. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would seem that way!

I think it has resolved the issue, many many thanks!

Although I'm still getting some errors I didn't use to get, those are most probably driver specific errors:

dev:550 is again shelly that I'm polling every 10 seconds for power consimption on a dashboard
dev: 430 is a tempest integration using weatherflow

Anyway! Thank you all for the help! I will continue working on getting error free now!

The Out of Memory error could be a significant problem. Could be that you are polling too often on that device or it could be from something else totally and that driver is just running into the limit.

1 Like

The JVM Out of Memory error is a bit of a concern, but if you’re still functioning the GC must be freeing some back up.

Who's driver are you using?

I'm using Snell's driver v 0.4.8 at the moment, updated based on some issues I've had...

1 Like

@DrRomca for a simple way to see your memory history you may want to check out this (new) app:

Only drawback is that it gets reset if you reboot, but it might be useful so you can see how fast your memory is getting low, and if it is gradual or all at once in a big chunk.

2 Likes

@snell any thoughts?

The JVM Heap memory isn't available from an endpoint (since 2.2.8.x ~June 2021)

1 Like

I assumed you would see an overall decline in free memory though and that's what would be causing the heap to run out of room? Or the heap filling up would cause the hub to run low overall? I don't really know much about JVM memory managements so I could be totally wrong.

The JVM should be able to pull from the free memory as needed for app/device load/execution but the error seems to indicate that may not be occurring efficiently or that something is grabbing big chunks at a rapid pace. (I had a hub with over 300K free memory give me that error just before locking up on .122) The fact that it doesn't crash the OP's hub would imply that either garbage collection is freeing up some space (GC should actually run before the exception is thrown) or that the allocation of more memory occurred in time to resolve the error.

2 Likes

I do not see how mine could be causing any of the memory issues. That error is because it received a response but no data was included with it (something I have noticed recently and have a fix being posted on the driver thread right now).

2 Likes

I’ve seen much less free memory across all 3 hubs since somewhere around .117. My C-5 took the biggest hit and is running around 150MB less than it used to.

I was only talking abut the error for weatherflow, not the overall memory issue.

1 Like

Ah! Gotcha. Hopefully the driver update takes care of that. Although I wish I knew what changed on WeatherFlow's side that they started returning responses with no data...

1 Like

So, just to report a few weeks back, now running the 2.3.8.128 and no more hangs :slight_smile: Snell even updated the driver (using 0.4.10), so everything works!

Thanks again guys ! :slight_smile:

1 Like