C7 and S2 security

That's what he said...I'm confused.

1 Like

I had some time to play around with SmartStart this weekend. While far from consistently working for me (I had to reinstall the app on my iPhone in order to even get it to something) I was able to make it work for all my SmartStart enabled devices after a number of attempts. And, they paired with S2 enabled using this method. There were some weird hiccups - the Honeywell switches paired but device type was incorrect and had to change later and for all SmartStart devices added to the queue they would get stuck into a pending state even if the devices actually paired fine. GE switches and dimmers and Ring extenders worked better overall. Overall I think the experiment was a success even if at some point when I rebooted the hub it decided to go back in time (including database state) and loose all changes I made for the last 2 hours or so since the previous reboot.

I still wish things would work better and consistently with SmartStart or without but other than my ZEN30 which is not SmartStart enabled apparently everything thing else that supports S2 is paired properly.

These are different screens in the app...

First one is from the documentation at the link you provided (thanks).

The second one @SmartHomePrimer posted clearly looks like an Edit page after the device has been paired.

Beats me. I remove devices from the provisioning list after they are paired. I don;t like the devices/hub being able to handshake/pair post initial pairing.

I’m with you. That’s the way I understood the statement and I disagree with it if it means what we think it means.

The only want to change security level AFTER including the device is to exclude and re-include as far as I understand.

You can not change security after a device has been included..

2 Likes

You’re misunderstanding how it works actually. If you join via SmartStart, you can change the security afterward. You cannot do that otherwise without excluding and joining again.

I guess if you leave it in the provision list, though, you can fairly easily exclude and re-include it though. What use that is, is beyond me.

1 Like

Nothing easy about that when it’s in a bunch of rules

1 Like

Except you can't change the security after it is paired??? You may be able to change the check boxes in the smartstart provision details - but it doesn't actually change on the device/hub until re-paired.

Or am I nuts???

So what about the app "EDIT" screen that @SmartHomePrimer posted showing an option to change security from the app...how is that different? Thanks.

Something I worry about (me, not you) all the time... :wink:

2 Likes

I thought that is what it would do NEXT TIME it is paired via the smartstart provisioning process. Which doesn't happen until it is excluded or factory reset.

That would fit w/@bcopeland's statement.

But I can't say I've ever tried it/verified any of that. So I could be wrong. I'll try it/verify it next time I'm on my dev hub - I have some smartstart devices on there.

All I know is that I would be pretty pissed if I changed the checkbox and blammo - stuff starts getting changed on my device/hub...

But again, I don't normally leave devices in the provisioning list, so that wouldn't happen to me anyway. I think ;).

2 Likes

FWIW, I've tested the Ring gen2 extender extensively, and I am not able to reproduce the "doesn't report battery/mains status when paired insecurely" issue. Works every time for me.

3 Likes

Glad it works w/out security. I've passed mine on to @lewis.heidrick for testing and general abuse in his mesh. Giving it to Lewis was revenge for it NEVER (well except for once, very briefly) repeating any of my devices. :wink:

1 Like

It just didn’t like the Piano Light.

1 Like

I know, right? All that bitching about "when do I get to sit next to the piano?!" and "Why does he get to be in the living room all the time?!" bullxxxx. Sheesh...can't we all just get along?

:wink:

FWIW, I've included 30+ Z-wave S2 devices on my HE C-7 to date. 100% of the time the dialog box appeared showing the two S2 security checkboxes and I left them default checked.

My question, these devices are working perfectly fine with S2 enabled. Is there any value in going back and excluded and included them again with S2 unchecked (aka none)?