C5 hub [didn't] upload over 1.5GB to where and what?

I prefer to keep it simple and keep them all on one but each person has their own preference. There are also some people regardless of what anyone say's they're going to do what they want good or bad. If I had interference or range issues I'd probably opt for a second hub if a repeater was inadequate.

Roger that. thx.

There are people here with 3 floors and a basement and only one hub. It's really up to the user. With the new hub mesh feature you could mush up all the hubs into one and only need one dashboard. Although I'd still recommend breaking up dashboards into smaller chunks as your system grows.

Hub mesh feature. Kool. Now we're talking. Lot to look into. All in all, Hubitat simply rocks.
Thanks men!

Zwave is limited to 4 hops not counting it's self or the hub. So you could find edge cases where a second hub would be greatly beneficial. Also consider that zwave hops adds some latency. It's not much but it is there.

If you do go with multiple hubs try to find some way to physically divide up the house and keep your rules and devices local to that hub as best you can. It will help with the maintenance nightmare situation. It will also help with cases where one hub is down for whatever reason and not bring down everything, just the affected devices and rules on that hub.

Nice. Thanks for the extra details! May have saved some hair pulling!

One thing I've noticed about trying to follow some FAQ's I've found on Hubitat is they aren't always insync with what I see. So there must be a lot of UI changes between builds, apps.

Although I haven't looked, looks like it be good to have a typical, advanced and "enterprise" level setups so one can see how they all may fit and work including may be a turnkey setup w/ dashboard etc. Also using multiple protocols and commercial devices. However, admittedly much functionality comes from good Sam's work of drivers and apps not necessary sanctioned by Hubitat.

Wonder what's the current the deployed inuse # of HE's by geo and demo aka personal vs business.

I actually never heard of Hubitat, even when I was looking, was the reason why I ended up with Vera.

This grassroot device and community really needs some daylight. Forget SEO, even respectable blogs/companies don't even mention Hubitat.

Hubitat matter of fact, doesn't even come up on the first few pages of DuckDuck and Google. Clarify used search term: Home automation

I only found Hubitat by accident reading through some frustrations with Vera to resolve on some random personal blog buried in nth search page.

Wow.. if I only had the time, energy ....

They have some special in house tools for enterprise deployments but I don't think they're available to us mortals. Hubitat is much smaller than ST in terms of scale and that's probably why it isn't the focus of a lot of news outlets but they've been adding people in huge droves. Iris and then ST when they announced they were killing off DTH's. A lot of Vera users lately as well.

They have evolved a lot even over the last year or so. It's hard to keep documentation up to date when they are progressing everything so fast. I have to update documentation for stuff I do every 3 years and thats still a pain in the butt.

And make sure any repeater your devices are using are also on UPS or battery.

Hey, sorry to take up so much of your time but you're a bottomless info intel! :wink:

One thing that does seem like a barrier even though I'm not all that naive but a newbie to Hubitat, is that Hubitat is little overwhelming. It's so feature rich it's like... Most want "Woman" but ultimately inside all they really need is ""Man." Not stating man/woman but choices, just thought this image was funny but poignant

People love having options, choices and freedom, so they think. When I was in sales, what I realize what they want is really a single need.

There is a reason why every VCR on earth blinks 12:00 and no one on FB knows anything about their own security settings.

I'm spending about 30mins a day on HE but it's taken mons of trials, random IoT purchase and integrations and still don't have a working solution that is even 5% of what I want/need.

Again, trying to use what I got which is a glut of wifi outlets. I now need to setup a rPi w/ wifi and get moving. Again at 30min increments.

My goal: move all of my tuya chinese cloud dependent IoT's, and other onto HE. I need it to be completely local w/o the cloud dependency and want full control. I can clearly see that path forward with HE but lookson the surface so overwhelming. Not just "work" but having to have yet another dependency I didn't anticipate which are the good Sam's app and drivers.

Also a bit apprehensive of maintenance, again as I'm building out multiple turnkey's that cannot have even minimal admin unless it can be done remotely and nothing physically. Like me having to go to each Zooz sensor and initializing them. Yah, my requirements are rather high.

@njanda Yeah, roger that. We've had black outs recently due to CA fires. So I've placed the entire network including cams on UPS. Of course, no www but at least my RTSP's can still stream. However, all of my Tuya aka Smart Life chinese cloud dependent IoT's or any cloud dependency made home security.. ZERO that sucked. So my wifi door lock can't work, windows/door sensors useless, that sucked.

So one key reason why HE is a CLEAR winner.

IF I can truly migrate them all. Or maybe a hybrid but at least remove the cloud dependency.

Iā€™d be opting for Zigbee products over Zwave or Tasmota / WiFi devices, in that order, if my goal was to minimize setup and any on going maintenance.
Iā€™m not lazy, just time poor ! :joy:

2 Likes

@njanda copy that, but I unfortunately have a glut of wifi Iot's and want to experiment with various protocols. I've learned one thing; never to depend fully onto single protocol. What if zigbee loses or gets bought and trashed? Capitalism and competition works up to a point :wink:

One other thing to note about my setup going forward as it is currently is I have redundancy to everything.

Case and point: I forgot to close my garage door (don't like to use the timeout) so thought no biggie, I got this. I've put in a remote wifi controller. Well, wouldn't you know it. the ONE time I needed it to work, it didn't. However, I had another remote hooked into it in parallel and that worked. So I found whether it be sensors: door/window/temp and controllers. I found out there is no such thing as good enough. Redundancy is the only safety recourse and that redundancy at least for me includes not being dependent on a single protocol. Call me paranoid :slight_smile:

[EDIT] I just realized my case for a need for 2nd HE hub!

ha ha 2 hubs - yeah I'm not there yet....
def, no harm in experimenting and I'm pretty sure we're all doin it. LOL
I guess I just focused on your requirements to be LOW maintenance.
We're all still searching for that "#1" solution.

1 Like