C5 hub [didn't] upload over 1.5GB to where and what?

Hello,

Thanks all for chiming in! This is exactly why I ultimately chose Hubitat. The community and company support is next level.

@james7 thanks but took off all of it. If you look at the above graphics showing what's getting routed, you can see that Amzn services although not nill is very small. I have no idea if that's Hubitat's AWS/S3/Route66 etc but something is being sent to Amzn albeit small but not insignificant at 620KB which if compressed is quite a bit of data.

@bcopeland @bobbyD thanks guys! Again iterating why Hubitat is a great product; people behind it.

To answer your question about DPI, actually that's the graphics I'm showing you. The topography is: WAN->Modem->DPI gateway->Router->HE(C5)[static IP] with an AP->IoTs off of the Router. So HE has nothing in between it and WAN. The 1.5GB is getting uploaded through if not by HE since the DPI inspections I assume would be IP. So will contact Bobby aka Support@ and see if you all can sniff out the culprit.

PS> My ulterior motive is to get a complete understanding as I want to gift multiple working turnkey setup of HE/sensors/switches/outlets/custom dashboard to technologically challenged where administration should be minimal to zero and setup braindead simple. Oh and lastly, no cloud dependency...period. Almost giddy thinking of possibilities. However, I'm also looking at an avalanche of work converting 20+ wifi outlets onto Tasmota.

1 Like

After the first it only takes a minute or so to do the next. Should go really quickly.

thanks for the encouragement to stop procrastinating :wink: I would actually paid more if someone resold already hacked wifi outlets although one of the reasons why I have so many and I think I may be pushing over 40 actually is they were all bought at $5. I started down DIY ESP8266 path but then all said and done. A simple outlet looking home made kludgy costed me over $25/piece so then why DIY when they are selling at $5! I say let's keep the chinese trade deficit :wink:

The price is nice but I find the zwave or zigbee ones report better generally. I spent about 1800 bucks though for all the switches. Could have gotten wifi for just a couple hundred. We use a lot of wifi devices in the house though so probably worth it so there isn't as much interference or saturation.

@greglsh re-reading over some comments and found yours to be a bit disturbing because I found my Alexa to be the same. However, not through HE.

I have Echo's and Goog Mini's throughout the house but in one location where I spend most of my time, I found that particular Echo used 2-4 times per day uploaded to Amzn over 300MB in 3days!??

And yours is even more unacceptably large. Let's be frank, it should in reality only upload the command, hopefully digitized, compressed and anonymized, but 2-4 cmds/day over 3 days equals 300MB??!! Clarifying: your "Amazon" may be more than just Alexa but may be Amzn's backend services like S3/AWS etc whereby I'm measuring it directly from an Echo.

Here's the odd thing. The same period similar cmds and frequency of 2-4 times a day I have Goog's mini uploads are only around 1-3MB the same period! Same # of cmds and frequency. I've actually never seen Goog upload nearly as much as Alexa even though I use Goog more.

On a tangent; when I installed the Ring doorbell. I never really paid much attention to network however, 3wks later I noticed it was streaming out to WAN 24/7 the entire 3wks. It was almost a 1GB/day ! Then coincidently an article came out stating Amzn engs were serendipitously eavesdrop w/o authorization. And my Ring's 24/7 upstream? Stopped even though Amzn stated they weren't doing such thing.

Now if I was a bit more neurotic psychopath then I am. I got a doorbell streaming 24/7, voice device in every room listening all day/night, my phone also uploading who knows what, my PC is uploading who knows what. I'd go bat sh*t crazy. :wink:

PS> as for uncapped fibre sounds great but that should be on your terms and conditions where you have the ability to chose what gets upload Yeah, having the USG doing DPI is a curse and a clarity I'm not sure I wanted. I'm beginning to comprehend; ignorance is bliss :wink:

Back when I used Alexa I always found it amusing when me and my wife would be having a conversation and then log on amazon and stuff we were talking about would pop up in my recommendations.

Yes, you're right. 2.5GB wifi doesn't penetrate as well as lower freq Zwave/zigbee's. I find it amazing that a tiny temp sensor running on a button battery can be read through 3 floors and through a closed door no less! But since I'm scaling out and trying to turnkey a few completed systems. Cost is a factor.

Also found out one negative Zwave issue. My Zooz 4-1 motion temp sensors all lost connectivity when I had the HE disconnected for few days while all of my zigbee's reconnected albeit did had to press reset a few to reconnect. For the Zwaves, I tried everything but ultimately go to each one and do Zwave forget and reinitiate. I can't have that happen once I let go of these turnkey systems. They all need to reconnect seamlessly. Wifi is so far has been very good as well as superficially the zigbee devices but the Zwaves are not or at least the Zooz or maybe of the HE's driver for them.

I guess what this is telling me is I'll have to have a battery back for the HE so it can never lose power. I cannot have it lose connectivity just from a cold power down.

I don't have many zooz devices, just 3 power strips but I've never had any zwave stuff fall of the network. Had a power outage for about 8 hours when a tree took out some main lines feeding the neigborhood and everything came back normal.

yes, when i surf funny how I get a zillion Amzn ad's and when Googling, the topic I was to someone talking about not surfing the web for comes up as my first search suggestion. Yeah.. a bit creepy. When i worked for FAANG's I was never part of this aspect of it. But not surprising, since highly targeted ad's and searches are their holy grail so they think.

This is a good idea regardless of what protocol you use. There are some good DC UPS systems that will run it for days on a single charge for about 60 bucks.

then it must be either combination of or the driver for the Zooz's 4-1 sensors. Sad bc although not really accurate, I'd say +/-5 degrees F I like them.

Pretty sure there is a driver update in the works for the zooz 4-1.

Actually thinking a bit cheaper by using a USB phone battery backups. Cheap, lotsa power and should be good for a full day at 10,000mAh and can be continuously trickle charging.

This is the one I use. It's 2700mAh

amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLD32RP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks. will check it out.

It easily handles running two hubs at the same time too.

Interesting, what would require two HE's? Or how/why would you use two or more HE in a given env? And/or is there a "limit" to # of IoT's per HE?

Zwave supports like 232 devices per zwave network and i think zigbee is around 65535 devices. Both cases assume you have an appropriate number of routing devices. The device limit isn't usually a factor though. Typically its detached locations or per floor preference. Could also be to isolate a device type like bulbs since they make crappy routers. Some put bad acting IoT cloud stuff on it's own hub.

4 Likes

Reasons for doing so vary quite a bit. Here's mine. I have one Hubitat devoted to Xiaomi Mijia/Aqara non-standard zigbee devices and zigbee repeaters that work with these devices. My other zigbee repeaters, and all my z-wave devices, are on another Hubitat.

4 Likes

Interesting... so you got them separated by protocols. Hum. Does HE not do so well if protocols are too mixed?

Did you all determine you needed to separate them out and/or provide "redundancies" by floor like @lewis.heidrick ? All that you've outlined Lewis makes total sense but administration of such setup will be asking for nitemare maintenance.

because HE needs to be wired, having it on diff floors and/or locations makes it inflexible. I thought the idea of repeaters built into certain Zwaves/zigbees should be able to provide for the distance? no?

Humm..more I dwell, more things are getting a bit more foggy and less flexible than I thought. :frowning:

Lastly, if multiple HE's, I guess having a consolidated dashboard wouldn't be possible.

So far, not looking too great. Or need to move into a studio apt.