C5 hub [didn't] upload over 1.5GB to where and what?

[UPDATE] I realize this is rather an alarmist post without indepth investigation. I will try to look into this and report back. I will clarify by stating I cannot for sure state this is what happened and I'm going strictly by what my inline packet inspector is telling me. Clearly this is out of the norm from what I can gather by everyone's input.

[ORIGINAL POST]
I believe this is over a period of less than couple of weeks. I serendipitously checked data usage and found my C5 Hub had already uploaded to over 1.5GB to .. where and what??

||Category|Application|Down Bytes|Up Bytes|Total Bytes|Down Pkts|Up Pkts|Total Pkts|
||Unknown|Unknown|100 MB|1.36 GB|1.46 GB|768078|1059917|1827995|
||Network Protocols|SSL/TLS|39.9 MB|194 MB|234 MB|164237|206598|370835|
||Network Management|DNS|592 KB|210 KB|802 KB|3370|3370|6740|
||Web|Amazon|496 KB|123 KB|619 KB|920|1026|1946|

I only have 4 temperature sensors and 2 motion sensors, no cameras and a tiny background image in dashboard being loaded from imgur.

New to Hubitat, can anyone explain what in the world is the hub uploading that is 1.5GB over a period of 2wks?? and what??

Any cloud connections such as Alexa or Google? Using HubConnect? Have any dashboards open all the time on a tablet or something like that?

I am also running the unifi system and mine is showing that Amazon is using most of the data between my Hubitat, so it is probably either the Echo speaks or the Alex integration. I am on uncapped fibre so not really an issue.

Hey thanks guys for chiming in so quickly.

no Goog or Alexa integration, I couldn't get it to work. And as for dashboards, yes I do have a tablet but it's locally addressed directly via IP. Nevertheless, the dashboard and sensors are so modest I cannot imagine what it could uploading in just few weeks time that is over 1.5GB???!

Here's my modest dashboard, again addressed locally and the background pulled directly from imgur. I have no other dashboards (drivers: Ziaomi/Aqara and Zooz)

Just ungodly amount of data...

the only data I would suspect being sent to the clouds are some JSON.

I think it sends a collection of error logs also to support so they can look into issues when you send in a support request.

A couple of gigs is just noise on my network...

Heya @lewis.heidrick thanks again for chiming in.

Well here's what i don't like about the data being sent especially that much. It isn't necessary and it's unwarranted. No company should be collecting that much data, particularly without my explicit permission...Goog not withstanding. They suck up everything probably TB level.

And few more issues about "unwarranted" data usage:

1. Needs my permission to do so. Don't remember giving that permission.
  2. I paid for a hub to do what it's currently doing and nothing more.
  3. I'm testing this out.... TL'DR version: my ageing mom is in a location with no internet connectivity so I want to setup a perm hotspot for IoT/automation so data usage control is paramount. No way in hell I'm setting up a hub that reports on 6 temperature and one door sensor uploading 1.5GB in few weeks when all I get for hotspot is 1GB for the entire month. And bc I need to monitor her, I need www access. So local only and will need to do dashboard scraping and mirror it while isolating the hub.

That amount of data upload is just not right...period.

I'm still very much a noob with hubitat so still learning. Unless it's encrypted, I'll have to waste my time sniffing the network to find out what is being sent. Even if err logs, omg..1.5GB?? I certainly don't see that level of err msgs when I review my devices.

[EDIT] PS> sorry forgot you mentioned support request. I've made no support request...ever.

The traffic is encrypted but it's easy enough to block it with a firewall if you don't want it going out. @bobbyD can chime in on specifically what's collected. Add an NTP time source on the network if you do block everything though.

Yeah, but what a pain if need to go firewall route. I specifically moved over to Hubitat from Vera due to being able to be local only. There has to be some mistake in what my USG/Unifi is reporting. It just aint right.... so weird. I guess I'll put another sniffer specifically on the Hubitat to see if that's actually true. thanks for chiming in!

The UniFi might be associating other device traffic to the device if you haven't assigned a static to it and the address changed. I haven't used any UniFi gear for a few years and even then it was just the edgerouter poe 8 port. I haven't played with any of the USG gear. The pretty interfaces are nice but I needed more powerful equipment for some goofy stuff I do on occasion with work.

Good point, but sadly I've already placed all "important" nodes on static but also if that's true, Unifi has a major bug in their sw. then no way their reporting is anywhere near accurate? yikes.

I put everything on a static. If it's on my network I want to know what it is and what it's doing. A lot easier to spot if a weird device manages to get on my network that way. I'd talk with BobbyD and see what the traffic is and just block it so it doesn't eat up your data plan. I have 219 devices and I don't see hardly any traffic going out.

Just went through all the outbound and only thing I see is an NTP and my custom apps for sleep number bed, honeywell thermostat, aws, googleapis, and life360.

Found one entry for service.cloud.hubitat.com thats probably the error log upload.

1 Like

I both envy and cringe at the thought of setting up static for everything. So far my network has been a musical chair of sorts trying to stabilize on a working stable, dependable IoT/automation setup. So far with mix of various commercial devices of over 80+ devices. I'm coming to the conclusion of having to get all of my devices onto Tasmota / direct RTSP and localized including making my own IoTs. Hate the chinese cloud dependency.

Man..if I can write up a good biz plan and get VC funding....this industry needs a leader. So far it's chaos with a line of dead bodies. Just look at Goog screwing up nest/home chaos.

I like Hubitat bc of people like you and so many other good Sam's but it's a "hackers" world. Not suitable for every day folks. you know?

I've had this hub for months and the best I got is 6 temp sensors and one door sensor all partially working. Endlessly drunging through forums and various configurations. Fun but not really.

1 Like

Well I've helped a ton of people here on the forums. If you need any help just let me know. If I don't I probably know who would. I've done a lot of tuning on my personal network to get things really dialed in so I know a lot of tricks. I'm also in the beta builds so can help with those type of problems.

2 Likes

weird sending you " :heart:" I don't really "love you" but want to thank you. later man.

lol take care.

I 2nd this. If it's HE or anything trying to connect to HE it needs to be reserved and fixed at a IP. You need to be able to point to a IP to be able to talk to the hub. Other devices will work much better/faster if they don't have to work out where it went to first, before it can then talk to it.

I plan it out and put different devices in different places depending on what they do/are. It's usually very simple once you know your routers UI.

1 Like

Honestly, I wish that was the case, it would make things so much easier for support to trend issues at larger scale, instead of individual basis. We do not collect any data automatically. Support can request the error logs to be downloaded if a support case is opened and the hub is connected to the cloud.

@Gimbop if you'd like us to further investigate what might be using so much of your data, please send us an email at support@hubitat.com.

@Gimbop just my 2 cents, but if you tried to integrate amazon but it didn't work, did you remove all parts from the hub, there may still be something trying to communicate, as your unifi screen shot shows amazon as being the biggest player?

Keep in mind.. This will also show you lan traffic.. Any sonos or chromecast etc.. And since it doesn’t pass through the DPI on the router, it would be unknown

9 Likes