C-8 will not stay connected to network

I have to admit, I’m a Hubitat user from 2019 and this C-8 has been the worst experience I’ve had with home automation since I began in 2012.

Alright, so first it was the Wi-Fi issues. Both of my hubs are back on Ethernet with statically assigned DHCP addresses.

After a few days I experienced the same disconnect and required reboot to get them connected again.

Then I turned on the ping router function that pings the router every 30 seconds.

Then I went out of town for a few days and was surprised that I had not been receiving notifications as I normally do.

Checked my router and both have been offline for two days.

I’m a network engineer / developer and my career has been in DevOps. I have nearly 100 devices connected to my router at any given time. This is not an issue with my network and I may move back to my C-7 and send these C-8s back. Never had issues with my C-7.

This is the third thread of problems I’ve created where before I never had done so.

I hope an engineer contacts me and we can debug this together. At this point that seems to be the only way I’m willing to keep these units.

Tagging @support_team from Hubitat.

One of the recent updates has a fix for Wifi disconnects due to power management settings.

Have you done a network reset on the hubs since switching back to ethernet? Small hole on the bottom of the hub. If you have not done that I would try it just to clear out and reset the network settings. That has helped some other people with connection problems.

Also, if you have any sort of DNS blocking or restrictions on your network, it has been suggested to use the DNS override on the network settings to specifically set your allowed DNS server. I guess in some cases the hub is not using the DHCP DNS server, and reverting to some sort of default, which if getting blocked may cause issues.

Other than that not sure why they would be disconnecting.

1 Like

I just noticed v2.3.5.117 is available. I'll give this a go.

After the upgrade to latest, still disconnects. Wired.

Have you try doing a network reset yet?

In addition to all of the other great comments, I would advise to make sure jumbo frames (or other MTU settings >1500 + header) are OFF.

Some people get away with leaving jumbo frames ON, but in my experience my hubs would lock up regularly if I had jumbo frames on. Stopped immediately after turning jumbo frames off on the network.

Obviously that would not have been your problem when on WiFi, though, as there aren't jumbo frames on wireless.

None of that helped. Same issues. Only began with C-8. The previous versions have no issues.

What router/switch are the hubs connected to?
This shouldn't matter, but it's worth a shot to set Ethernet speed (in Settings - Network info) to the opposite of whatever it reads now.

1 Like

As Gopher noted...on the Hubitat Hub, in Settings>Network Setup. If it says Auto change it to Fixed, if it says Fixed change it to Auto.

Then try again...

1 Like

eero pro 6E via ethernet.

As stated before, C-7 never had this issue. I still have both my C-7 and can plug them into the same router. C-8 will disconnect after a day or so, and C-7 is solid.

The only change is C-8 vs. C-7. Same network and the same config on the habitat device (presumably since I restored it from backup).

All of my eero devices are hardwired. If you want me to do the C-7 vs. C-8 test, I can plug a switch into one of my eero devices so that it continues to stay hardwired while I test both habitats.

I take issue with this, given the last time I solved a problem turning off auto-negotiation was in the early 2000s.

No modern-day device should have issues with this unless they're using legacy old devices and must turn off auto-negotiation. The network stack in the Linux kernel is solid and well-tested.

I mean you can take issue with anything you want to. But I don't really have a horse in that race, Just trying to see if we can help you to get things connected. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I understand your point, but disabling auto-negotiation exists for a purpose, and it's not because you are connecting to modern-day hardware. If it was an auto-negotiation issue, C-7 would have the same problem.

Here is the network setup. Note: Everything is connected via ethernet

Firewalla Gold Plus
 |
 --> NETGEAR 5-Port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Network Switch (MS105)
     |
     --> eero Pro 6E
     |
     --> eero Pro 6E
     |
     --> eero Pro 6E
     |
     --> eero Pro 6E
         |
         --> C-8

So you ask for help and then when one of the devs asks you to try something very simple you refuse to try it? Ok.... good luck.

I do agree that it should not matter, but for whatever reason the hub has issues with the connection rate sometimes which is why that setting exists. Sometimes auto works better for people and sometimes the Fixed 100Mb works better. Typically the issue is a slow UI and not disconnecting but it wont hurt anything to try it.

8 Likes

both my C-4 and C-5 hubs have had different issues that were resolved by switching to fixed, which yes, seems wrong... that said my network issues disappeared after making the change.

3 Likes

So, just a thought but do the eero devices function just as AP's I thought they were intended to be a Mesh system that also function as a router.

I don't know why that would be different between a C7 and C8, but when i see that diagram above it looks like the C8 is behind the Eero and as such could possibly be hidden from the firewalla. What device are you looking a to see if the C8 still has a connection. Is it the Firewalla?

1 Like

Just to exclude the possibility of bad cable, can you try use a different Ethernet cable to the hub?

I purchased two new cat6 cables that will arrive tomorrow. I'll give it a go. However, given that it's both C-8s and the same cable used with the C-7, this seems very unlikely.

I can keep trying everything but looking at the logs (because I can't access them). I do get annoyed with ruling everything but the software when the C-7 operates just fine, but the C-8 doesn't.