C-8 WiFi loses connection when WiFi router reboots

I have always had a regular weekly reboot scheduled for my Deco WiFi mesh. I noticed that the c-8 regularly goes offline exactly at 5am when the reboot occurs. The light is still green but I cannot reconnect without rebooting the C-8. Autoreconnect on the hubitat is set at the default 300s but that looks to be only a wired ethernet seeing.
I've now removed the scheduled reboot to prevent reoccurrence, but is this a known issue?

What firmware. I saw this with older fw?

1 Like

There is a Hub Rebooter app that you can download using Hubitat Package Manager that will allow you to reboot the hub on a schedule. If your router is rebooting at the same time once a week, you could set the hub to reboot a couple of minutes later.

While temporarily disabling the reboot of your router is probably OK, leaving it that way permanently might cause issues.

1 Like

This is a little off-topic, but wondering why are you having to reboot your router weekly. I've never had a router that required regular rebooting like that, and I've owned/used a lot of different routers, stand-alone router/built-in wifi, mesh systems, routers w/APs, etc.

Tagging @gopher.ny as I think I saw discussion of a similar issue w/Wi-Fi reconnect recently.

A very good question...

2 Likes

I'm running the very latest firmware 2.3.5.125

It's just a default setting I've had on the decos for years, never had an issue with anything else until the c-8. I've disabled it for now, but obviously it highlights an issue here with the hub not restoring connectivity by itself.

Correct...that's what it seems to indicate. Just wanted to confirm there wasn't some other known underlying issue w/your network that you were rebooting to avoid, that might be contributing to the hub reconnecting issues.

1 Like

I suspect the rebooting default has to do with the Deco being a mesh router system rather than a stand-alone router. The reboot might insure that all the satellite nodes are properly synced with the primary. However, I do not have a mesh router, so I am not certain.

I have a TP-Link WiFi6e router. The interface allows me to reboot daily, weekly or monthly at a specific time, but it is turned off. I am not sure whether it came that way or if I turned it off when I first set up the router.

Yeah, I don't know about the Deco, but I ran both Orbi and Eero mesh in my house, and never rebooted either on any schedule. For a while the Eero was my primary network and the Orbi provided my IoT network, and both worked w/out any rebooting. So I've never seen any need for scheduled rebooting on my mesh networks. Very infrequently on the Orbi, and almost never on the Eero, I would have to reboot to clear up some odd behavior, but that was it.

Same

It was off by default on mine. It isn't a Deco, but likely all TP link are similar regarding defaults.

I vaguely recall it being an option as part of the installation wizard asking me if i wanted to set a time for it years ago. Never really gave it another thought as it never created any issues until now. I was initially perplexed why the C-8 was regularly "dying" at the same time each week. Took me a while to find the root cause on the routers! I've switched it off now and all should be okay until I really do need to reboot them for some reason.

2 Likes

This issue has a fix coming in the next build.

5 Likes

@gopher.ny, sorry to hijack the thread but will this fix only affect the C8 with built in WIFI or also older C5/C7 with a WIFI dongle, I have this problem also but added a RM ping routine that reboots the hub if the hub can't ping the router for more than 15 minutes testing it every 5 minutes 3 times in a row after losing network connection.

I don't understand why the C8 should ever need to be rebooted if it loses connection with WiFi or the AP / router reboots.

I have countless wireless devices that have both reserved and non reserved IP addresses and all of them recover from a WiFi AP / router going off line or being restarted.

What state is the C8 getting into that it needs a reboot to recover?

3 Likes

Should work on earlier hubs, too. There's nothing C8 specific in the reconnect logic.
The fix is in 2.3.5.131 update, released last night.

The update should take care of it.

5 Likes

@gopher.ny looks like this problem has come back again in some update. My router rebooted due to a firmware update and the WiFi connected hub went offline and stayed offline all day. This isn't good.

Can you PM me the hub id?
It's running the latest 2.3.6 firmware version, right?

1 Like