C-8 power requirements?

I have a C8 connected to Ubiquiti US-24-250W via Anvision POE splitter.
5 Cameras, 3 RPI, 2 Hubitat hubs and 3 Ubiquiti AP's.
No issues.
Add/remove devices just fine. Does not appear to affect Z-Wave or Zigbee.

You're lucky. Most people do.

2 Likes

Not discounting that the problem may exist, I just find it odd that the switch would be causing the problem. If I was a betting man, I would be looking at the POE Splitter instead. My hub is located about 7 ft from my rack (open rack) with 2:24port Ubiquiti switches installed, one being POE and along with a multitude of other devices. If there were any RF interference it would most likely rear its ugly head.

1 Like

I agree. I had my C8 hub connected to a USW-Lite-16-POE (45W) for quite a while without issues. Out of an abundance of caution based on everyone saying don't use a POE splitter with a Unifi switch, I moved back to a standard power adapter and USB cable. I wonder if those with issues were using POE switches with ports putting out a higher voltage, like POE++ vs. POE+.

2 Likes

The problem is not the UniFi switches. I had a C-5 and currently have a C-7 working on UniFi switches with PoE splitters. The C-8 was the first time I ever had a problem. It seems to me that the problem is either the splitters' giving off FCC-disallowed interference or the C-8's somehow not drawing enough power when on a splitter.

1 Like

I also had C5, and C7 connected the same way, and no problems. As for power, Ubiquiti does show how much power is drawn. While I have not tried the splitters referenced in this thread, I do know that the Anvision splitters have worked for me.
I would also suspect if the splitter was not providing enough there would be other issues with Hubitat device.

It's the combination of the poe splitter, with unifi only on the C8 (c7 and c5 are fine) . I run them fine with my cisco catalyst 3750 switches. It's only in combination with the Unifi switches that seem to be a problem.

I have used PoE splitters with UniFi switches to power C3, C4, C5, C7, and a C8 hub with no issues whatsoever.

While I am not a big Z-Wave user these days, I did successfully include and exclude a few devices on my C8 as a test when this issue was originally reported.

4 Likes