C-8 power requirements?

That switch should 100% have enough power output for all of those devices.

Take a look at this that just got solved today..

1 Like

Strange. Maybe I will switch to the provided adapter.

1 Like

Yeah like I said, no one has been able to explain it. I assume it's some kind of RF interference with that combo and the c8 high gain antennas. My guess anyway.

Any idea if this affected anything on the Zigbee side? I'm curious if it had any bearing on why my 2 KONOz thermostats had issues with the C8.

1 Like

I had also some issues regarding zigbee, and have just verified that I can add zigbee devices also. So it might be that the PoE affects both radios?

I don't remember anyone connecting POE to Zigbee issues w/the C8. @rlithgow1 may have more/better info, but AFAIK it was only affecting Z-Wave. They use two different channels so it kind of makes sense that both would not be affected by an interference issue.

The C8 has had some general Zigbee issues for a small % of users that haven't been tied back to a clear root cause. I had to have my C8 hub replaced under warranty to fix the issues I had w/Zigbee.

1 Like

Is there a different PoE adapter that has worked with the C8/Unifi combo?

You're probably right, it was a couple of weeks since I last tried to add a zigbee device. So it can be something else. Maybe because I placed the antennas differently.

Not that I'm aware of. Could be possible. I don't have a unifi switch to test that theory on.

1 Like

Not that I'm aware of. YMMV... You could certainly try others and report back...

I had Z-Wave issues using a PoE splitter with a Trendnet switch too. It may not be limited to UniFi. :man_shrugging:

This is the splitter I have:

GeeekPi Gigabit USB-C PoE Splitter 48V to 5V IEEE802.3af Power Over Ethernet for Raspberry Pi 4B/3B+/3B,Tablets, Dropcam(48V to 5V 2.4A) https://a.co/d/e0wwekA

2 Likes

I thought I'd chime in and share my experience. Using a PoE-to-USB-C splitter, my Z-wave radio on my new C-8 was completely non-functional without any warnings or anything else in the log. I'd try to pair to a device 3 feet away and nothing. Exclusion didn't work either. I was pulling my hair out until I decided to give up and try eliminating the PoE splitter and powering directly with USB-C (after seeing this thread). BOOM, instant, everything works. After that, it took me less than 10 minutes to pair 10 switches, when not a single one would pair with the splitter. Pretty disappointing. I wish there was a way for the Hubitat to warn you that it's not getting enough power (that's the only thing it could possibly be).

FWIW: I was using this splitter on a UniFi Enterprise 48 switch. Power consumption on the switch is 84 watts of the 720-watt budget, so I wasn't switch-limited. Power consumption on the port was less than 5 watts with the splitter in-use, so I wasn't port-limited. Something about the way the Hubitat talks to the splitter over the USB-C connection, either the splitter doesn't provide enough power on the Hubitat doesn't draw enough power.

I doubt that’s the only possible explanation.

3 Likes

I suspect a radio interference (RF) issue between the splitter and the hub.

3 Likes

Believe there is another thread that points to this as being the issue.

3 Likes

This is the POE switch I have. @rlithgow1 had recommended it to me and it works fine with my C8, 2 C7’s, a Hue Hub and Ecowitt GW2000 gateway all on eithe the Utronics or POE Texas splitters.

MokerLink 8 Port PoE Gigabit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5KPHVJM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

2 Likes

The issue seems to be only with unifi switches.

2 Likes

And some TP-Link switches.

1 Like

Ahh, I hadn't seen a tp-link issue.