C-8 Massive Z-Wave Issues

C-8

I migrated to the C-8 yesterday and everything seemed to work fine. I did this in advance of adding a dozen or so new switches, which also seemed to add find. I also attempted a Z-Wave repair but let it run and it seemed to have a number of bad nodes. Also, now many devices do not respond although some do. When looking at Z-Wave Details, I somehow jumped from 84 devices to 148! Many of these are blank but aren't really the traditional "ghost" you get from a device not adding correctly. I also don't seem to have a "remove" option even when I refresh the device. Not sure exactly how to go about cleaning this up or if my z-wave database is somehow corrupted.

Screenshot of my devices attached...

Looks like you have some devices scanned into SmartStart that are trying to join as Long Range and keep failing, causing those extra nodes.

First thing I would do is shut down the hub, unplug for 30 seconds then boot back up. That itself might make those dead nodes go away.

Might also want to check out this app and make sure you dont have extraneous entries in your SmartStart data. [APP] SmartStart Manager for Z-Wave (Long Range support)

Once that is sorted out to prevent more new nodes, you could then try one at a time refresh those LR nodes which should then give you a Remove button.

Check the live logs while doing this, if you are getting a Z-wave busy error then those nodes may not actually be there and the shutdown unplug for 30 seconds, as I said above, should make them go away.

I also noticed a lot of timeout warnings in the logs from running a repair...

That probably doesn't bode well for the mesh self healing.

I will take a look. Thanks!

Yeah any time you are getting a bunch of those Busy errors shut down the hub and unplug for 30 seconds. It is pretty rare to see on a C-8 but there is something going on with the new Long Range support that can make this come up when trying to clear out dead nodes.

1 Like

Strange, I did reboot and they disappeared. I thought I had rebooted just before that but maybe not???

Anyway, trying a z-wave repair and most nodes are failing. Not a good sign.

I also tried the SmartStart app but I don't have any smartstart entries so it doesn't really show anything.

Ok, not the best results from the repair ...

Stage: Idle
Finished Z-Wave Network Repair
Completed Nodes: 0F 15 16 1B 7A 18 13 14 21
Failed Nodes: 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 10 11 17 19 1A
 1D 1E 26 28 2A 2C 3B 3E 3F 49
 4F 50 52 56 62 67 6B 6C 6D 72
 75 76 77 78 7B 7D 1F 20 2B 3A
 3C 3D 4A 4B 4C 51 57 6A 79 40

Hopefully things heal/improve.

If you migrated the ZWave radio data, I'd let it self level/heal for a good 48 hours before worrying about routes, etc. as it will be doing quite a bit of rediscovery depending on what the prior platform was, internal/external antenae, etc.

1 Like

I also thought that it was generally suggested not to do a full Zwave repair but one device at a time. Did that change recently?

2 Likes

Did you reboot, or do a shut down and unplug the hub for 30 seconds as I specifically suggested? There is a difference, the unplugging is needed to fully power off the z-wave radio so that it also reboots. A normal reboot only reboots the hub platform and not the underlying hardware.

Not sure how you had Long Range ghost nodes then? The only way to pair a LR device is with SmartStart. Did you possibly scan something into SS on the mobile app and then delete it via the mobile app before trying my app?

This was only due to horrible z-wave firmware (from SiLabs not HE) on the C7 launch.
Now I do reccomend a full repair in some cases but it should not be done repeatedly.

It can be helpful to speed up healing after a migration, if you move the hub, or move/replace a lot of devices.

Another one of those myths that I am still trying to combat (like powering off the entire house to remove a ghost node).

4 Likes

Thought I would give an update on how things worked out. First, I guess I didn't realize you shouldn't do a full Z-wave repair so I was probably some part of the issue. After several hours things started to settle down and work again. My guess is either the Z-Wave network and (or) the C-8 were so busy rebuilding the mesh network that things were just busy/bogged down while this was happening.

Things are working smoothly now. Although 69 ghost "LR" devices did show up again this morning ... not sure what caused that to happen. I did a normal reboot of the C-8 and they all went away.

Will post an update if I have further issues. Thanks again for the help on this!

Check your SmartStart list, if you have anything in there that is not showing as paired, disable it. If there are any "pending" devices in the SS list the hub will look for anything that is trying to pair every 4 minutes. Could be finding something in pairing mode and failing over and over again, creating those ghost nodes.