C-8 Locks Up - Hard Crash - Every 4 to 9 days - Diagnostic Port DEAD too

We would be too, however, a hub freezing has only been observed when jumbo frames are enabled in the network. In most cases similar to yours, the problem was traced back to a local network issue. In very rare situations, a hardware malfunction was the problem, but those cases can be counted on one hand out of thousands of hubs of all models combined, not only C8, for example.

Historically, isolated incidents when an update such as 2.3.6. has been out for months, can't be corrected with a software fix, unfortunately. But never say never, right?

2 Likes

Roll back to a previous stable release until you feel comfortable updating? In the diagnostic menu, you can roll back to a previous release. There are limited numbers of update rollbacks (3?) but you might find a more stable version that way.

Not sure if you can get to 2.3.5, where you imply things were better (i.e. not crashing before 2.3.6), but might be worth seeing how far back you can go.

2 Likes

You can pick the last stable version of an older update by downloading to your hub from the following end point:

hub/advanced/downloadPlatform/xyz

*where xyz is the update version E.G. 232, 233, 234, 235 and so on.

5 Likes

My last action was to soft-reset the Hubitat and restore a backup configuration file.
I'm going to run that experiment for two weeks or until it fails.
Given that there is a suggestion that I do in fact have a rare hardware issue, I'll let that progress too.
I'll hold off on the option of testing a previous software release until one/both of these options play out. My experience is that Hubitat does a fine job of testing software for release and there would be many more complaints if it were the latest Hubitat release.

I have also checked to ensure my Raspberry Pi's cannot use jumbo frames without serious patching. All the other wired devices on my network go through a GC110P switch which has the MTU at 1500 so they cannot be a problem. Also, I'd think my Hubitat would suffer far more frequent issues if any device used jumbo frames. And none of them has a any reason to send packets to the Hubitat.

Thanks.

@kutoroff - Are you by chance tracking your free memory? While I expect the hub should be able to run longer than 9 days before getting tight on memory, I have, on occasion seen where a single event will cause a drop in memory availability and require a reboot earlier than normal.

1 Like

The only times I reboot my Hubitat, until very recently :-), was for software updates. It would run for weeks with no apparent or reported issues. Until this post and some replies, I knew of no method to view Hubitat resource use other to watch for alerts. I only see update available alerts.
A quick Google search turned up the "Hub Information Driver. Thanks for this.
I'll give it a try soon.
I think my Hubitat is lightly stressed, if at all.
But am curious and I want to know.

Thanks for the message and the handy driver.

SK!

1 Like

There was also a recent issue that came up with 2.3.6 where some sort of database issue was causing rapid memory decline, which a backup/restore (or soft reset) would fix.

So possibly that was all that was going on until it crashed, and you have just fixed it.

1 Like

...and that is the typical use of Hubitat Elevation. We don't expect users to need to monitor their environments, nor to schedule reboots - the hub should just work. Any departure from the expected use requires further investigation to identify and correct the problem that's driving the less desired experience. Monitoring an environment should be used to aid troubleshooting not as an ongoing effort to maintain hub's proper functionality.

5 Likes

Thanks for submitting the warranty case. I checked your hub and I don't see signs of hub been under much stressed. Sure, your Konnected integration appears to be somewhat hyperactive, but I don't see any critical errors. In absence of any clues in your hub's engineering log, I am leaning towards a hidden hardware problem. Please let me know the next time your hub appears locked so we can check it on the spot.

Yeah, the wired motion sensors via Konnected.io are hyperactive right now with continuous kitchen activity for extra family for the week.
I started frequent Hubitat monitoring after the last event.
I'll post ASAP when/if a lockup happens.
Prefer it just goes away.

1 Like

Received the replacement hub.
I was going to wait until at least 9-10 days passed since last Hubitat freeze to install it, but somehow the GFI circuit for my network popped yesterday and I didn't notice until a device became unavailable when the UPS power ran out.
Once I recovered, I canceled my wait and installed the replacement Hubitat this morning using the migration restore and all is well.
Only issue I encountered was with my Konnected Pro board. The new Hubitat came up on a new IP address as expected. Once the new Hubitat was running, I set DHCP to give it the old Hubitat IP so my links would still work, In the interim, the Konnected Pro became cozy with now defunct temporary IP. Took a bit of fussing to get everyone happy again. Hubitat was not a problem in all this.

Now, back to why I am posting.

1. Thanks for prompt and over the top support.
  2. How do you want the old Hubitat returned? I assume you want it back.
  3. Do you want me to reset the old one before returning it, or return as it was configured?

Hope you and everyone else had a great Thanksgiving.
SK!

2 Likes

The replacement Hubitat has been flawless for 10d and a while.
I've now found device Hub Information is very useful.
I'd be happy to return the original Hubitat. Please advise.
I'd also like to have my Hub Protect account transferred to the replacement.
How do I request this.
Thanks for the support.
SK!

2 Likes

You can transfer the hub protect yourself, in the subscription maintenance screens.

Check out this post:

2 Likes

Indeed. Easy to find when you know it is there.
Looked before and either didn't see it or didn't believe what I saw.

My offer to return the dubious suspect or otherwise now idle Hubitat C-8 remains open.
Just ask and provide any instructions needed.
Cheers!
SK!

2 Likes

You and I must wear the same glasses... :wink:

2 Likes

You don't need glasses when you have a list of bookmarks handy LOL

1 Like

Yeah, I was replying from the rental car counter (dropping car off for repairs after I was rear-ended) and the Enterprise agent was dagger-eyeing at me to stop playing w/my phone and pay attention to her. :scream:

1 Like

Dagger-eyes are kind SOP for car rental counters.
Sorry for whatever horrors await you in processing the accident claim.

1 Like

Thanks, but actually the insurance side has been perfect...we expect and get that w/AAA, and they are just great. Claim was processed/approved the day after I reported it, and our deductable waved. We have a local body shop that does excellent work and they turned out to be an approved AAA vendor. AAA does all the back and forth w/them. We've had several car repairs w/them and they don't scrimp and the car always looks like nothing ever happened.

AAA also contacted a local car rental company to set up a car for us, and had them call me to let me know and confirm details. Rental car folks picked me up at the body shop this AM after dropping my car off, so wife didn't need to follow me down to drive me over. So aside from the dagger eyes it's been a perfectly pleasant process. :slight_smile:

Frankly (as you can see), I'll sing AAA's praises all day long...we're long-term members and insure cars and home w/them and they have been excellent in every interaction we've had w/them over the years - unlike many insurance companies, they are proactive and helpful when we contact them for claims. :smiley: Highly recommended.