C-8 Hubitat Unresponsive (can't find hub in app)

I put in a ticket, I found another post with a guy having the same issue. Also new to the platform interested to see where it goes. I’m following his thread to see where it goes.

I checked your hub's engineering log and it doesn't appear that you are dealing with a network issue, nor a Zigbee radio malfunction. Based on your hub's log, the problem appears to be related to one or more Zigbee repeaters that may not work properly. Do you mind sharing the make/model of your Zigbee devices?

Hi Bobby,

I’m not at home so I’ll have to check specifically when I get back. In general it’s two ThirdReality light switches (I think Gen 1 & 2) and 5 Sylvania A19 dimmable light bulbs.

There are no repeaters. Would one Zigbee device cause the hubitat to go down/require a power cycle?

If these are zll1.2 they will be problematic on a mesh when combined with ZHA devices (sensors and what not) and should be isolated on their own mesh using either a hue bridge or another hubitat. It's because ZLL 1.2 bulbs make horrible repeater/messengers.

Any mains powered device will be a repeater so all those bulbs and the light switches are repeaters.

The light switches are battery powered so would they be considered repeaters? When you say repeater is this something that "extends" the zigbee range?

Hi Bobby,

Here are the light bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Smart-Home-74768-SmartThings/dp/B07576J38L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Here are the light switches:
https://www.amazon.com/Reality-Starter-Control-Required-Compatible/dp/B07HGXMFJ3/ref=sr_1_10?crid=JAF5YLWURNYP&keywords=Thirdreality&qid=1697163553&s=hi&sprefix=thirdreality%2Ctools%2C81&sr=1-10&th=1

I have one Gen 2 and one Gen 3 light switches.

Some additional information, when I say it's unavailable, I can't find it using the IP address, even though the light on the front is green it's not responsive unless I power cycle it. It's happened twice this week.

Battery powered devices are not repeaters.

That is correct, they allow other devices to connect through them to the hub, in a mesh network.

1 Like

How do I know if the bulbs are zll1.2?

Oh Dana.. Dana... Dana..... DOH!

1 Like

No, I automatically assumed they were mains based. Mains based devices are always repeaters. So your only repeaters are those bulbs and they do not make good repeaters.

1 Like

Look up the model numbers... If they don't say zigbee 3.0 they are likely 1.2

Hi Bobby,

I don't think this is the case because I can't see my hub. It's not accessible via IP address so it seems like hub itself is malfunctioning at some level?

Pretty rare, generally connectivity issues are due to problems w/settings on the hub or the router, or general networking problems. I can't remember seeing a case where a networking problem was determined to be a HW failure/issue on a hub.

That's what I'm guessing as well, another person stated that it could be the bulbs that I don't know how a device would cause my hub to be unresponsive. I can't find it via the app or IP. It's happening daily at this point.

I tried using this to see if it'd work, do I use the IP that's assigned within Hubitat or do I use the one assigned by ASUS?

You can use any free IP in your network that you want.
If you do set an IP on the router make sure you put the hub back on DHCP to remove the static IP settings on the hub itself.

Then you may need to reboot the hub so it picks up the IP from the router.

Thanks for that, I did a little googling and found out the MAC address changes if you are on Ethernet or WiFi so that helped me assign an IP to it. I'm gonna run it via WiFi and see if that changes anything with the disconnects since IPs are dedicated.

Yup - that something that catches people out often. :slight_smile:

Just to confirm...you did the DHCP reservation for the hub on your router, correct? If you have the hub on Wi-Fi you can't set a static IP using the Hub's Network settings:

Yup! At least I’m pretty sure I did following the instructions above.

2 Likes

Hi @bobbyD

Will you be able to respond to this message? My Hubitat keeps becoming unresponsive and will not be found in the app unless it’s power cycled. If there’s no reasonable explanation for the issue, then I will be returning it if this is it’s how it works. SmartThings (as old as it was) never gave me this many issues.