C-8 Hubitat Unresponsive (can't find hub in app)

Hi,

I’ve very new to the hubitat world, I’ve historically used Samsung Smartthings for all my WiFi and Smarthome needs. After several years of subpar WiFi speeds I finally switched to have a dedicated mesh router (Asus AXE-1800) and smart home controller (Hubitat C-8).

The issue I’m having is that when the Hubitat C-8 is on Wi-Fi it keeps disconnecting and I can’t find it in the app. To reconnect to it, I have to reset it through unplugging and plugging it back in.

I have set up the WiFi connect on the Hubitat and it works fine until it glitches and it no longer works. Then I have to reconnect it to Ethernet cable, power cycle it, and start over. Any help would be appreciated.

This may not be that helpful but in my opinion (35+ years IT pro) I would strongly advise utilizing the wired connection as a permanent solution. If you want your Hubitat and therefore your whole home automation system to be highly reliable, then using a wired connection and keeping the Hub on a UPS are probably two of the most fundamental steps. This is especially true when using WiFi or LAN connected devices.

5 Likes

Have you reserved the IP in your router so the Hubitat is always at the same address?

Agree.

3 Likes

I did not, or at least I don’t think I have, do you know of any good docs or vids that could walk me through it?

I know that it’s better connected but it’s meant to be usable via WiFi it was one of the solo purposes for me buying the C8 over C7. It should be getting disconnected and needing a power cycle either. Never seen a device work like that…

Certain wifi connections do the way they tend to clean up at night can knock hubitat off wifi. Personally I prefer hard wired... Now that said for your DHCP reservation, simply log into your router via the gateway address using a web browser. You should find settings for DHCP in the network settings of your router (difficult to know since we don't know make and model). In there you will find a reserve ip option. You will put the ip of your choice in there along with the MAC address of the hub (found on the bottom of the hub) and save it. From that point on whenever it reboots it will use that address.

1 Like

For ASUS, Once you log into your router through a web browser (you CANNOT do it through the ASUS router app on your phone), go to LAN setting in the left colum, the then DHCP Server tab. Go to the bottom section and you can manually reserve the ip address that was assigned by the DHCP (I would NOT recommend giving it your own address).

The highlighted field in this picture are what you need to do. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Is it running the latest firmware? We made some relevant improvements in 2.3.6 update.

1 Like

I have seen other devices doing that on Asus mesh network, more than one manufacturer (Kasa, Tempest Weatherflow, Flume, etc). I run my Hubitat Elevation via Ethernet, but I could never solve the Asus problem for other clients, so I replaced it.

1 Like

I’m running the latest firmware.

I have my Hubitat connected to Ethernet now for a few days and it’s still giving me problems with disconnecting. The way I fix it is through power cycling it, so you have any other suggestions?

I don’t have any unusual level of drops from my other WiFi connected smart home devices (bulbs, locks, etc.)

I’m running on Ethernet and still having issues with my hubitat. I don’t have issues with any other WiFi connect smart home device in my house, just hubitat.

You said it's disconnecting on Ethernet as well. That indicates it's more at hub level then the network level. What color is the light when it crashes? What integrations do you have running? Can you post your z-wave details page in its entirety? (use windows snip)

1 Like

Hi,

The light is green, it doesn’t crash per se but it’s just disconnected from seeing my Zigbee devices. I don’t have z-wave connected to anything.

What lan integrations do you have? Do you have power metering on any of your devices?

I don’t know what you mean by lan integrations or power metering. I would expect I have neither…

If you have any cloud or local tcp integrations those are LAN... If you have any plugs likely they have power metering....

If you didn't already, is worth creating a warranty case by visiting the following page:

1 Like

I don’t think I have any local tcp integrations and no smart plugs are currently in use. All my smart plugs are also WiFi. I really only use Hubitat for 2 zigbee light switches and 5 zigbee light bulbs

I would put in a support ticket at support.hubitat.com so they can look at your engineer logs

Can you share brand and model of above?

And also, I have no idea why you would want these...but here are mine:

1 Like

Yeah sorry man, I’m not against learning stuff but I’m definitely a novice as I’m sure you’re well aware of. I appreciate you trying to help but you almost have to tell me like I’m 5yrs old with this stuff.

1 Like