C-8 Hubitat Unresponsive (can't find hub in app)

Hi Bobby,

I have ran the C-8 on a hardwired connection to my ASUS mesh router and it still had issues. Are you suggesting it be connected to the modem instead?

Also I have a new C-8 on the way from Amazon and will be returning this one to see if it helps. How do I reset the current C-8 in order to return it?

go to my.hubitat.com and deregister it, then reset both zigbee and z-wave radios, then do a soft reset

1 Like

When the new hub arrives you may want to start w/wired connection, set an IP reservation on the router for the hub, to verify if things are working normally via Ethernet.

Then you can move to a Wi-Fi connection and verify if you have any problems w/that.

...while remembering that the MAC address of the hub changes. One MAC for wired (printed on the bottom of the hub) one MAC for WiFi.

1 Like

Yup, I remember all of this from doing the first time. I started out wired the first time, we'll see how it goes. Not looking forward to having to re-set up everything again. Is there are way to save some kind of back up?

If you sign up for Hub Protect you can do a complete restore from your current C8 to the new C8.

I'd do it regardless, it's a great capability to have full restore available and free hub replacement if you ever have a failure, and cheap as chips, as they say.

Honestly man, I appreciate the upsell but I'm kinda frustrated with the product and the support. It's hard to want to spend more money on it, I think you can understand that.

Not trying to "upsell" but did want to make sure you were aware of all of your options after you asked about backup. Unfortunately, as a fellow HE user I make zero on any Hub Protect sales... :slight_smile:

The way I see it, if getting Hub Protect saves x hours re-doing everythng on a hub, then the math regarding whether that's worth it is pretty straight-forward: Is value of x hours personal time saved >= cost of Hub Protect? Each of us has different values and other considerations, of course. :slight_smile:

I get what you're saying but spending more money on a product because it doesn't work as advertised/per design doesn't make sense to me.

I get that you're not making money on it, but surely you can see my point here. If the product is going to cost me that much more money and hours then I could return it all and go back to a SmartThings hub until it figures itself out.

Here's the thing. You are in a very small percentage of users having issues out of all the hubitats sold. What you see here you equate with a lot because people come here for support. As I said thought, the percentage of people having issues like this is extremely low. Personally I've had no issues with 200 devices and I was in the hardware beta. I have a good mix of Zigbee, z-wave, clear connect, and WiFi. I've had 2 major issues. One was caused by a bad device, the other was a lan integration and one recently which is a know bug squashed in the next release. Support here from both staff and community are fabulous. Staff has also reached out to you to try and help things. @bobbyD replied to you several times.

1 Like

There are two issues I take with your reply:

1. You say I'm a small user base but the issue impacts a large number of routers. ASUS products are highly regarded and a big name in the networking space. A number of users have found solutions by not using the WiFi feature on the device which some are upset by AND that's understandably so. Messages from Support and Community reflect that ASUS routers are an issue and it's not listed anywhere.

2. @bobbyD replied to me several times and I've appreciated his support. However, he was under the wrong assumptions for most of it, which happens and I'm not against the community or support but if you've are missing / have incorrect information on your website you owe it to your customers to correct that. What I've been told thus far by the community and support is that my bulbs don't work with the product (though they're listed in compatible devices) and that ultimately, Hubitat has issues with ASUS routers (again not listed though a known issue).

So pardon my frustration but again I hope you'd see where I'm coming from here.

They are. And the majority of users with such products don’t seem to run into the networking issues that you have encountered. So there’s either a subset of products, or a subset of configurations, that are incompatible with Hubitat.

1 Like

As noted, I just wanted you to be aware of the Hub Protect backup option. I have no dog in this hunt. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I'd like to think that what you're saying is true but literally I've been told by support:

"Unfortunately, I had experienced similar issues with Asus routers and couldn't find a solution other than not using Asus to manage my Wi-Fi network..."

I hope it works with Asus as they are new and not returnable, I want to believe it's possible I just haven't seen evidence of it yet and no one is talking as if it is.

Yeah you're fine, I appreciate the recommendation but I've already spent $400 dollars to get a smart home up and running, the idea of spending more just... tilted me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It does, but perhaps not with your configuration. My system was just dual band.

In absence of anything obvious in your hub's logs, I was going by what details you offered:

Nothing that was said about Zigbee (bulbs) is incorrect, and if you experience issues with Zigbee devices, those could be the root cause if Zigbee devices go unresponsive.

Also, I pointed out early on in the thread that Asus router could be your problem: C-8 Hubitat Unresponsive (can't find hub in app) - #8 by bobbyD

1 Like

Well, that's on you :slight_smile:

You cannot account for every single combination of things, For instance, using a POE splitter with a unifi POE switch and a C8 pooches the z-wave. Tell me, how are you supposed to account for that? You can't..

Not all ASUS routers as a lot of people have asus routers and the c8 works fine. There is an underlying combination of hardware and settings at play. Again, not something that can be accounted for.

Also are you still using those cree bulbs? They are also zll 1.2. And while compatible with hubitat, they too should be isolated to their own mesh not on the same mesh with ZHA devices... (Though to be fair, cree is horrible)

2 Likes

You’re right, I’m not saying that information was wrong, that was just not the issue I was experiencing. Again I don’t fault you on this, misunderstanding happen. I was just saying I’m still having issues with the C-8 being unresponsive. I can’t ping it, can’t access it through the app, nada.

That would not happen because of the Zigbee devices right? Currently, the feedback I’ve seen is that the issue is chalked up to the Asus network. For what it’s worth it’s essentially an out of the box configuration. I have two networks one for guests and one for myself, and the reserved DCHP as suggested earlier. I’ve not done anything else with it.

Can you un-reserve the IP? Also, most of my Asus problems started after assigning clients to specific access points. Have you done that, by any chance? If so, can you unbound the Hubitat hub?