C-8 Hub and Zooz devices

To elaborate on what @rlithgow1 and @jtp10181 said, The zen25 has a tendency to overload the Zwave mesh in some way. The ways to mitigate that have been found to turn off power reporting or minimize reporting. The catch is that some of the settings do appear to be set when going to the device. When validating the configuration you want to look at the settings on the configvalues show in the state section and not what is already selected in the space were you set values.

The biggest problem with the Zen25 is misconfiguration.

2 Likes

I can't add too much other that what I previously added before except that all 13 ZEN25 and 2 ZEN14 devices were initially deployed to my two C7 hubs without any issues where they ran for about 1 year in both a local and mesh configuration.

They were then re-deployed to two C8 hubs without any events and have been working fine. The ZEN25 devices have a combination of their factory configured V1 and V2 firmware installed (see below).

If anyone needs me to look and and provide any other information let me know. Would be more than happy to do so.

Don

ZEN Firmware V1

ZEN Firmware V2

1 Like

!

Not doubting your experience, but it is really well documented on these forums users experienced issues with the device. Especially with security enabled.

But not everyones setup is the same either. My setup worked pretty well except for one device that just tends to be very picky and prone to breaking if anything is off. I would certainly suggest upgrading to 2.1 firmware if at all possible now before deploying a new one.

Yep, My comments were only to provide my personal experiences as so many others have done, including yourself. As you indicated, the configurations can be vastly different and even one could be a contributor (such as never have upgraded the firmware), who knows for sure. Just looking to contribute to the thread in any way I can.

Don

1 Like

Thanks to those who have replied. I have some different (or additional?) problem and will keep researching or start a different thread. I think this is related to the troubles I had attempting to include my new zooz plugs.

A lot of my zwave devices are pretty unresponsive. They can't be controlled through the Google integration (my most common use), nor via on/off commands in the app. However, if I physically turn devices on off (like a receptacle (hkzw-so01) the event log shows me that it knows the device was turned on/off.

I tried a zwave repair (because I thought "what can I lose?") and it seems most (all?) Of my powered zwave devices couldn't be repaired (a list of 14 nodes failed to repair on the first or second try).

Do a proper shutdown from settings, unplug hub for 10+ seconds. Reboot. This will restart the zwave radio.

Also, check zwave details list for "ghost" nodes, basically nodes that are not attached to an actual device. If you have a lot of those it can cause issues as well.

I'll probably fork a different topic if I can get some isolation over whatever's actually wrong (because I don't think my setup is completely fixed).

1. The zwave radio restart (reboot, unplug to power down, restart) might have helped. Immediately after doing this a lot of my stuff was in a similar state: zwave devices weren't responding, Z-wave repair reported the same list of nodes that couldn't repair, and I couldn't include the zen14's.
  2. About 20ish minutes later, I started to be able to include zwave devices and the zen14's are now in my network
  3. However, hub UI based on/off commands are still unreliable (to the Zen14's and other devices) and Z-wave repair still shows a large number of devices as "Failed" (the list is now 21 devices, though). The node IDs are for definitely-valid devices on my network. I don't see devices in the Z-wave Details section of the UI that appear to be ghosts / things I should delete.

I'm moderately concerned / annoyed about this and want to bottom out on it. I ran SmartThings for 5+ years and had almost no administration I needed to do or hub restarts or device re-inclusion. I suspect there's some user-error involved and more learning I should do now, but I never worried about ghost zwave devices appearing in the past and never needed to restart. Hubitat's been pretty reliable in the ~15 months I've been on it and I don't regret moving to it, but I gotta figure this out.

Anyway - as far as the zooz device thread goes, this all seems pretty OK!

You need to stop trying to do a full repair while it is in this state and just let it settle down for a while. You may need to do another 10 second shut down and then let it sort itself out for a little bit.

If you have any extra chatty sensors or power metering devices you could power them off during this time as well.

The user error is you are hammering the zwave chip/processor while it is already on the ground crying.

2 Likes

Disagree.

My hub and home automation has gone from "basically working" to "really pretty non-functional." When it's in this state, I disagree that it's ridiculous to attempt to use the most obvious thing in the UI to help fix it. I'm not hammering it with z-wave repairs, I've done this a total of three times over a couple days because it's the only diagnostic tool that's readily available to me that tells me which devices that the hub things are problematic (other than the fact that they don't respond). I would prefer to do more targeted attempts to do device-level refreshes, etc (but that doesn't give me feedback that it's working, nor does it appear to have any impat). If running that a couple time over days is breaking this, I feel pretty strongly that's a problem with the diagnostic tools made available through hubitat, which should help me see which are hurting in some way other than "they newly don't respond" or help me see what (if anything) is chatty. I've seen the staff documentation that this will basically saturate the zwave network and it's discouraged unless you have problems.

Anyway - this is off topic from the general zooz thread so I'll leave this thread alone...

ST had/has problems but ghost zwave devices, weekly reboots or database corruption were never anything I've had to worry about. I run both ST and HE for that and many other reasons.

Did anyone try to update zen25 from firmware 2.0 to 2.1?

I have firmware 2.1 on my Zen25. I updated it after i saw the update posted.

So far it has been fine after a exclusion and include after the firmware was updated.

@mavrrick58 I did the update but I have white lights in both ends. I tried to exclude it but I was not able to do it. I tried to factory reseted it but it doesn't seem to work either. I used the community Ota tool to upgrade it and it did seem to work fine. Did you get the white lights I'm talking about? Any problems to exclude? The button doesn't seem to work anymore. I can't control it even manually. I don't know if my device is bricked.

I got white leds to. I then excluded and included it. Are you triple tapping the button to initiate the exclusion?

Yes, I tried multiple times. I put the plug just beside of the hub. I don't get any reaction from the plug. Did you remember if yours was blinking while you tried to exclude? Mine keeps the white lights and it doesn't change no matter the amount of presses I did. I tried the factory reset but as there is no feedback I don't know if it's even registering my presses.

Try unplugging it for a few min. Then do a full power off including removing power of the hub so its radio clears. Now do a exclusion and immediately plug the device in and press the button 3 times.

If it excludes follow the inclusion process.

I tried what you said and it didn't work. I guess my unit is bricked :cry:

What does it do exactly when you plug it back in. Does it flash at all or just go solid white.

Solid white. If I tried to factory reset it, if I disconnect power and reconnect it, both lights will be turned off. If I click the button, both lights will turn on but never flashing or being a different color than white.