Off-topic rant about security

I sure hoped I had missed something, but no

I am a brand new HE user. I have a LOT of Jasco/GE in wall switches and dimmers. So far, I have been able to exclude and re-add them to my ST V1 hub. I have yet to have any of these to pair with the HE C-7 despite having them excluded from the old ST hub.

My inclination is to send the device back to Amazon. This appears to be beta software and not ready for any serious application. I got my Philips Hue devices working, but that is only 25 over my over 200 devices. Oh well, back to ST for now.

What version of the Hubitat software do you have?

Things are generally getting a lot better every release (and they are very actively working on things--it's not like they are letting things stand still by any means).

I've found it is helpful to put the hub on an extension cord (or solid USB battery) and a long coax to get it near the things I'm including/excluding.

And, if you've had them on another system, I'd "Exclude" them on the Hubitat first.

Then, add them. I've seen it take more than one try-if it's not working, reboot the hub (and always shut it down before unplugging it from power).

At the rate they've been going, I expect things to be working pretty well shortly.

Also, not sure if your switches are Z-Wave or Z-Wave Plus. The Plus devices generally work better (in that 1) They have the patent so the hub doesn't have to waste bandwidth polling and 2) they are supposed to generally have better/more powerful radios).

Good luck!

I am running 2.2.3.142 on my C-7. I came over from a SmartThings V1 hub. So far, I have successfully moved one Z-Wave switch and no Zigbee devices after six hours of trying. The one Z-wave switch I moved is 8 feet from the hub. It appears that the radio in the HE is very weak and will never handle devices 70 feet across the house which the ST hub did.

I decided to move to the HE hub after I was forced from the classic app to the new app in SmartThings. At that time, my Smart Home Monitor went toes up and the replacement in the new app does about 30% of what I need.

I am security conscious. I was forced to move my HE hub, my Philips Hue Hub and my Sonos off my IoT VLAN back on the main VLAN because HE cannot access anything that is not on the main LAN despite having a proper route. That reason alone is getting me to go back to ST.

ST is no longer going to support Echo Speaks and I have 45 Webcore pistons that speak through my Alexa devices based on changes to the environment. My nine echo devices used to be useful but are now relegated to speaking only when when spoken to. Not cool.

It appears HE has no way to support my MyQ Chamberlain garage door openers which were supported with a community written smartapp and custom device handler in ST. it also appears that HE will not talk to any of the 100+ GE/Jasco and Leviton wall switches/dimmers I have. I can exclude them in ST, be HE never finds them. Then, I pair them in ST again and they are fine.

All my Philips Hue devices work great in HE, but to be honest that is all in the Philips Hue hub. I also see nothing in HE to support my Logitech Harmony hubs for my three entertainment systems.

I think what I have planned is to pull all the wall switches and go wifi. My goal will be control from Alexa and go hubless. The reason is that a local execution hub will never really be local because I use voice commands 100% of the time for everything unless I am outside the house. I don't like what I have read about Home Assistant and OpenHAB because of the overwhelming work to do simple things, plus I have no interest in paying for Alexa integration.

I thought HE could fit the bill. However, with the lack of maturity in the software and apparent limitations to the hardware, I will go back to ST for now. My goal will be to eliminate as much ST reliance as possible because their lack of configuration control and their cloud server changes result in some type of outage at least once a week.

I was hoping to bring everything into the house and under my control with HE, but I just can't spent months trying to pair switches. So, I guess my only choices are go dumb home or Control 4. I'm retired with a complex network of over 200 nodes and four VLANs, but I'm just seeing way too many red flags with HE in terms of really basic stuff that has worked for years not working at all.

Bummer.

I had a bunch (~30ish) of GE/Jasco Z-Wave switches and dimmers, of all generations going back to the original "pig tail" ones.

They didn't always pair on the first try--but when I put the hub nearby, I was able to get all of them paired.

2 Likes

That’s just not true. Hubitat supports MyQ garage door openers fine. You have to add a contact sensor so that the driver can know whether the door is closed, but that’s because Chamberlain doesn’t provide a way for drivers to access its sensors. Works for me and many others.

Sorry you are having such trouble.

1 Like

Now that its had all night to do its thing I have a couple devices with some strange routes and slow speeds

This one is directly under the hub yet it going to the far end of the house then to the other end of the house and up to the hub. (Aeotec Smart Switch 6)

These lights are side by side (GoControl Smart LED Bulb LB60Z-1)

I do think one issue is with the 7 Leviton VRPA1 Appliance Module's they are not plus devices and Hubitat seems to dislike them. I plan to replace all of them this week.

This one is also perplexing as it still shows no routing yet it works fine

Its a Aeotec ZW078 Heavy Duty Smart Switch Gen5

All of these Zwave devices worked without issue on ST v2 hub, surprised to be having so much trouble on HE with them.

From what Brian and @danabw mentioned earlier - you can do an individual repair on the node and that might resolve the funky routing. You have to wait a bit - I usually open a tab to the log screen and watch the process.

1 Like

In my on the C7 currently only the GE Enbrighten switch is showing a route the Zooz Toggle dimmers & switches are showing nothing. I tried a repair / refresh on an individual node but that did not update the routing information on the ui - looked okay in the logs..

Edit: Now on .142, was getting routes in .135 with the odd A5 thing.

1 Like

I also moved from a v1 ST hub, while I don't have the same number of devices, the only ones I had trouble with was my schlage lock. I have 4 older GE/Jasco switches that paired just fine. I did all of this before the 2.2.3 firmware though.

1 Like

If those are Z-Wave Plus devices, AFAIK you can't really do anything about the routing they choose. My understanding from gurus here is that Z-Wave Plus devices choose and update their routing independently. If you want to try to force them to choose different routing you could take some nearby Z-Wave devices offline to try to get them to choose another route. Sort of like putting a detour sign up on roads you don't want them to use. But who knows, they might choose them again later when you put those devices back online.

If they are regular Zwave devices, a device-specific Repair may improve their routing.

They are plus devices, I am thinking there is something going on with some unseen ghost devices BUT I will have to wait till Friday when the UZB7 is supposed to show up.

At least this morning the lights turned on and off correctly...got a little closer to happy wife happy life. But for some reason the dashboard didn't register a couple modules and one light correctly. ST and action tiles did this all the time as well I think the old Leviton modules may have something to do with that.

1 Like

Send our regards to your wife, and reassure her that we promise that you will make everything perfect, or else. :wink:

There, that helped, didn't it? :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh I am good until she finds out I just spent over $200 to replace the Leviton modules...luckily the new ones look the same so if all goes to plan she wont notice :crossed_fingers:

Now do try to sell the old ones on e"pond" or drop them in a dumpster under the cover of the night :grin:

3 Likes

Congratulations, you are now an official member of the UUC.

A t-shirt and coffee mug are on the way, and you of course will need to get the tattoo, either back of the neck or left forearm. :smiley:

Not yet anyway. The zwave spec certainly has an option to set routes from the hub (has for a long time, actually). Whether it will make it into the Hubitat software long term remains to be seen.

Might, might not, as it takes quite a bit of work in terms of protections from users doing stupid things, UI for it, and back end logic to do it right. It is not a trivial task.

1 Like

How did you know I need protection from myself? Has my wife been talking w/you?! :wink:

Unfortunately it is people like me that THINK THEY KNOW what they are doing (but don't always) that need the most protection. :wink:

4 Likes

Unsure if this is helpful, but I am currently having extreme trouble migrating any of my Aeotec z-wave devices over from ST to HE. I have been trying to pair two Smart Dimmer 6 plugs and 3 Door / Window Sensor 6 contacts. I have been able to get one of the dimmers to act as if it was included successfully, but nothing shows up on the initiation page during inclusion. A phantom device does sometimes show up on the zwave details page, but that's it. The contact sensors always get detected, but then I never get a contact state (doesn't show open or closed). I somehow got one of them working after it was connected in this bad state overnight, I excluded it this morning successfully, then re-included it. Suddenly it would register a contact correctly.

I'm still new to HE, but migrating non-Aeotec devices has been rather painless so far.

I think I've seen other posts about issues w/some Aeotec devices, and IRRC they were also "6" devices. Maybe there is something going on there?