Buttons, Scenes, Action - need some help

So I am going to pick one room and maybe asking this will get me rolling in the right direction.

I went with Hubitat because I wanted local processing as much as possible. But if I have to go IFTTT or out to web to do this the best way then I am fine with that.

I'm trying to avoid just hacking together my house with smart home automation items but setup as easily managable Smart Home AUTOMATIONS as possible.

So if I can have someone get me going and explain how things work for one simple room that should probably get familiar with what I need to do going forward.

Lets take the room "Office"
1 Wall switch Lutron Caseta Wired to an overhead light
1 Pico Remote Wall switch paired with Wall Switch
1 Pico Remote on desk paired with Wall Switch
1 Floor Lamp with Hue Color Bulb
1 Desk Lamp with Hue Color Bulb
1 Iris Motion Sensor

I would like to setup some "scenes" where I can have a Bright scene, Work scene and Relax scene (not hue scenes) - I would like those to be triggered by my Desk Pico (ie hit different buttons to trigger different scenes. I would also like them trigger based on time of day with my motion sensor. Ie morning starts at work scene, and evening Relax scene.

What steps are required to do this. I assume I have to create a button, that triggers a scene and attaches a number of devices to that scene. Also - how can I have my wall dimmer and pico's also control the hue lights .. ie turn down on pico - turns down the room.

Sorry if it is a noob question - but I figured there are many ways to do this and then here is how it works. Any details would be great - I haven't installed many apps and will probably have to.

One of the reasons I went to Hubitat is I don't want to deal with fragmentation...

Assuming your Lutron and Hue devices are already added to Hubitat the easiest first step is to add the scene. Set up your office lights how you want them for the first scene. Next in the Groups and Scenes app you'll want to create a new scene, select your devices, then capture the scene (It records the devices as they are currently set). You can repeat those steps and create additional scenes, set the lights, then capture. One thing to note will be if you have your Pico remote tied to any lights in the Lutron App you might want to disassociate them as it will fight with Hubitat when you press the button and conflicting commands are sent.

Once you have created your scenes you can set up Button Controller. You'll need to 'Create New Button Controller' for each Pico. In that there are a variety of options that you can use to program your buttons. You can assign scenes or actions to each button, you can even assign two functions to a button, one for held and another for pushed.

For your motion sensor you can set it to run different actions either through Hubitat Simple Lighting, Motion Lighting Apps, or Rules Machine. There you can select different lighting options based on the mode of the Hub (Day, Evening, Night, etc). I have a couple of light sensors that I use to determine my light levels.

Are these Pico Remotes 'paired to the wall switch' via the Lutron Caseta App/SmartBridge? If so, I believe you will need to un-pair the Desk Pico from the Lutron Wall Switch. Then, use the Lutron integration within Hubitat to have the Pico show up as a Button device. At that point, you can use the Hubitat Button Controller App (or @stephack's Advanced Button Controller App) to trigger different actions based on the various Pico button inputs.

Christopher - thank you for that run down - this is what I was looking for.

Ogiewon - Ok so don't pair the picos in general? If so don't I need to have the Device ID to add it in the Integrator. Maybe I am not getting something - I deleted my desk pico from the Lutron app - so how does hubitat now find it?

Whoops! Didn't mean to imply that. I meant to remove the relationship between that specific Pico and that specific Lutron Wall Switch. Perhaps that does require the removal from the Lutron App? But, you must add the Pico back to the Lutron SmartBridge Pro, but do not associate it with any other Lutron switches.

Then, you can use the Hubitat Lutron Integrator App, which will create a Device for the Pico. Once you have that Pico Device working in Hubitat, you can then use it in any Hubitat App that supports the "Pushable Button" or "Holdable Button" Capability.

Ahhh I get it ... just go through the manual add device in the Lutron app and not pair it. Doh ... makes sense now.

1 Like

Lutron pairing must be done to the Lutron Pro Bridge, naturally.

Functionality is done on Hubitat.

A Pico button press hits the Pro Bridge, then Hubitat sees it and via a Button Controller App, determines the long (or short) list of what to do.

You don't want "competition" with a button push doing something inside the Pro Bridge AND Hubitat a fraction of a second later. Eventually you'd forget about the Pro Bridge setup and be angry that Hubitat is doing something it's not programmed to do. :smiley:

2 Likes

Once you have your scenes defined in Groups and Scenes, use Motion Lighting for this part. It has Scenes per Mode. You should also set up Mode Manager, for the overall control of your modes, when they start, etc.