Burned C8, restoring to a new hub

Just a thought as I read through you issue.

• I understand you are connecting your C8 to the router with a cable (i.e. not wifi)

• Is your C8 power adapter plugged into the same circuit (and physically close) to your router?

• Does the old C8 Power adapter still work?

• Do you have the ability to connect the new C8 via Wireless?

( in the below the use of "likely" and "probably" is because high voltage spikes are not predictable.)

I ask these because to damage the C8 there is likely the spike was different on the router and on the C8 power supply. Else, the damage would probably not make it through the C8 power adapter.

If you could get your new C8 to connect via WiFi (normally not suggested if cable is possible) there would be one less path for future spikes to enter the C8. Oh, also don't have your C8 sitting on a metal cabinet.

I don't know anything about your internet provider and their router. My guess it is a cable modem/router in one device. Have you considered purchasing your own?

John

The C8 was connected to the Konnected UPS with USB. Most likely similar to below.

So if the Konnected is plugged in a distance away from the router, the same spike path exists.

Hello. I was able finish most of the programming on the C8 and everything was working well including integration with Alexa. The last point was to set up the Static IP. Set up the IP Address and Default gateway and I think a set up the wrong DNS server (set up an incorrect address). I am able to discover the hub via MAC address, but can't connect to it. I pressed the network reset button on the HUB for 10 seconds and it restarted, but after that it's not connecting to the internet. I am able to access the dashboard via cloud, but now hub does not connect to the Hub (light flashes green and red). How can I connect back to the hub so I can fix the DNS or any other problem? Thank you
Image 01-11-24 at 4.26 PM.jpeg

Green / red flashing means its not getting a connection at all, no link. If it is still wired via ethernet, may need to shut down the hub, pull power for 10 seconds then restart it, or possibly restart the router or whatever it is connected to. Could be a bad ethernet cable as well.

For the network reset, you hold the button then let go, LED should flash blue a couple of times and then it restarts. This put the hub back to the default network setup with DHCP.

1 Like

I was able to connect to the hub again , but I haven't able to set up a Static IP. Today I came back to the property where the hub is located and wasn't able to connect initially. I had to unplug if for a few seconds. Everything was working well but couldn't connect to the hub. I entered the Static IP Option and deleted all information. Don't know how to get the DNS server name from the router. Thank you

If you connect a phone or PC to the same network you can see what DNS server it is getting via DHCP. Or, if you use the Hub Info Driver x3 that will show the DNS servers from DHCP.

You can also just set some other DNS servers, such as the example the hub gives.

Tip: use multiple DNS servers run by well known providers, for example 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, 9.9.9.9

A few weeks ago, I made changes to C8 and switched to a static IP because the property has a commercial modem that doesn't provide access to DHCP. It seems that the switch worked okay since there haven't been any problems. However, yesterday, I received a call from the property indicating that the system is not interacting with Alexa. Automations are working well, but there's no interaction with Alexa, which has been functioning correctly for months.

The property experiences power failures and power spike issues. The system is equipped with a Konnected UPS and a Leviton Surge protector. While the surge protector seems to have resolved the spike problem, power failures occur approximately 2 times a week, lasting for 20 minutes or less.

I assume that when there is a power failure and the internet reconnects, this could affect the interface with Alexa. Is there a way to fix this? Your insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If the hub stays running while the internet it out it might be giving up on reconnecting after a while. I am not sure how that works exactly.

The Hub Info Driver v3 has a option you can setup on it that checks the DNS and/or a cloud URL periodically. You could use that to then trigger a hub reboot if it fails for a certian time limit.

Another thing you could do is get a power monitor plug [DRIVER] Zooz ZAC38 Range Extender (and Power Outage Monitor), and when power is restored then trigger a hub reboot like 5 minutes later, that will force it to reconnect.

The hub stays running since is connected to the UPS Konnected when there is a power failure and there is no internet that might be happening. I'm not familiar with driver V3, or how to set it up. Do you have a link on instructions on how to do that? I'm interested on learning

The option of Zooz ZAC38 having the device reboot after a power is restored can be simpler. Is there any risk when you rebooth the Hub periodically apps or configuration get affected?

I'm looking to use the hub to do some projects for customers but system has to be bullet proof against this kind of situations. Thank you

See: [RELEASE] Hub Information Driver v3 and holler if you get stuck.

1 Like

Not really, only if it reboots right in the middle of rules running, you could get stuff in like a half baked state. But no harm to the hub or anything when rebooted through the Reboot button or endpoints on the hub. Just the approx 2 minute down-time it takes to reboot, but better than not working at all.

Thank you for your feedback! After considering your suggestions, I've decided to purchase the Zooz ZAC38. It seems like a simpler solution for me. Appreciate your input!

1 Like

Hi I finally got a hold of a ZAC38 Range Expander. Downloaded via HPM the Driver and Power Outage Manager (great app by the way). Is there any documentation that explains each selection? If you could comment on the image below thank you. Also, I've set the "Reboot the Hub" option with a 2-minute delay after a power outage. But I'm wondering, does this mean the hub will restart 2 minutes after power is restored?

Additionally, after shutting down the hub (180 minutes after), is there a way to power it up again once power is restored? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Your first purple question = those # indicate the respective number of selected devices that are currently on mains vs battery power - it's just telling you that your 1 Z38 is currently on mains power. I have 5 power-reporting devices (all on diff. circuits), so I want (at least) 4 out of 5 to agree before taking action about declaring a widespread outage.

Your second question = yes, that's the # of minutes it'll wait before sending alert and starting the clock for the "outage" actions you specify below. I'm not certain if that time delay also applies to power restored, I always just assumed restored stuff happens with no delay, but it's a good question.

Your power-outage setup isn't quite complete - you haven't specified what rule you want it run at 60 minutes. Next, I'm not sure if this is actually required or not, but as the instructions say, I'd set "0" for the options you're not using.

If you're not using the 120 min / Queue 2, I'd just change that one to 180 and blank out Queue 3, but probably no big deal either way.

1 Like

Thanks.. I’ll make those changing on my settings. Does a regular zwave dimmer or switch can act as a secondary or third trigger to declare power outage? Can you please also comment on the restore option? I want the hub to reboot after power is restored.

This program can only leverage devices like the Z38 or the Ring v2 repeater that are mains-powered but have an internal battery so that they can report either condition about how they are being powered - mains vs battery. I also have a battery backup on one of my Zooz Titans, so it can do that same thing too. Most z-wave devices do not have this capability though.

If you want the hub to reboot at restore, then select that option in the "Power Restored Actions" section.

Hopefully you have this covered, but all of this hinges on your HE itself being on a UPS that can handle at least 3 hours of up-time -- if it's not (and its circuit goes out), then all of this is for naught.

Thank you. I have a Konnected battery back up that I believe lasts more than 3 hours. What happens if after 3 hours after power outage I program to shut down the hub. Can the hub turn back on once power is restored?

If the power truly reaches zero for several seconds and then comes back on the hub will restart. Problem usually is, at least for me, that the power gets restored just prior to the UPS shutting down so there never really is a loss of power that the hub sees and therefore no restart.

I have Konnected B300GA that probably will not shot down either. I do would like to restart my hub after a power restore. Sometimes it looses connection with Alexa so setting up - Rebooting the hub should solve the issue (app by @jtp10181).