Burned C8, restoring to a new hub

I have a C8 installed on a project where I just found out there are considerable voltage spikes. Project had installed a Konnected UPS Backup Battery - 12V DC Power Bank Portable and a HE C8. Apparently there was a voltage spike that burned the power supply of the Konnected UPS and also affected C8.
I replaced the power supply on the Konnected UPS and HE C8 does not start. Connected the C8 directly into an outlet and it did not start.

If I replace the C8 with a new one can I upload the latest backup file of the property and everything will be set up or I have to start from scratch
Surge Suppressor is on its way to protect the project from future voltage spikes

Did you have hub protect with a cloud backup?

Only the cloud backup has the zwave and zigbee radio info to do a fully functional restore to a new hub. The local backup only has the hub database (devices list, apps, and automations).

2 Likes

It depends. Only cloud backups contain the radio database information needed to seamlessly join z-wave and zigbee devices to a new hub.

ETA: ninja’ed by @jtp10181 :ninja: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just curious, does he have to start actually from scratch, or can he use the local database backup somehow? Replace each device, something like that, so that the rules are still there. I'm fuzzy on this.

A local backup could be used to restore the hub database. Zigbee devices would drop into place when paired again. All old Z-Wave device entries, the DNI would need something like _OLD added to them to avoid conflicts when pairing the devices to the new hub. Once devices are paired, Swap Apps could be used on the Zwave devices to move app links to the new device and then the old ones could be removed.

3 Likes

Have you tested to see if the issue is with the C8 or with the C8 power adapter?

I've just set up the new C8 in our community and decided to start with a clean slate by doing a factory reset on all devices. However, due to some power quality issues in our area, I had to install a surge suppressor. Now that the new C8 is up and running, I've run into a problem. Whenever there's a power outage, I struggle to reestablish communication with the hub. The hub, which has a Konnected B300GA, works fine, but after the power comes back on, I can't seem to connect to the hub.

To fix this, I need to go to the advanced page and manually add the MAC address for the hub to make it visible. Despite putting the MAC address but sometimes works and others don't. It seems like the hub either gets a different IP address or can't find the hub. Any feedback will be appreciated

Is it connected via Wifi or ethernet?
Is router losing power, but the hub stay up due to the battery backup?
Do you have a reserved IP set on the router?

Is the hub actually getting a new IP or are you just guessing?

I have the hub connected via Ethernet to the router. Although the router occasionally loses power, the hub remains operational thanks to its backup system. Unfortunately, my Internet Service Provider, who provided the router, doesn't grant access for me to assign a fixed IP to the hub. Consequently, I don't have a reserved IP.

During a recent programming session, a power failure occurred. When power was restored, I noticed that the IP address changed from 192.xx.xx.2 to 192.xx.xx.3.

Something to highlight is that I had set up basic on/off lighting schedules. Unfortunately, during a power failure in the middle of the night, the lights did not turn off as scheduled for sunrise.

Thank you

You might be best off in this situation setting a static IP on the hub itself.
Can you access or see what the DHCP range is on the router? I would be good if you can set a static IP outside of that range. Otherwise use 192.x.x.254 and hope the router does not assign it to anything else since its the last IP in the full range.

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. Before I get myself in trouble. Is this the section where I need to set the static IP? I will get the Ip range and DNS name server to complete and have a static IP

Thank you

Yes. If you run into trouble, there is a hidden network reset button on the underside of the hub.

1 Like

Thank you

I’m using this

I have my Linksys router, AT&T gateway, network switch, and 3 hubs connected to it. It keeps everything running smoothly for at least several hours during power outages. I also have a smaller backup power supply in the garage where the fiber comes in. I have been using them for a few years now without issues. The simulated sine wave hasn’t caused any problems.

1 Like

Same here. I think I've used it since about 2012-2013. Changed the batteries out a year or two ago.

2 Likes

Just a thought as I read through you issue.

• I understand you are connecting your C8 to the router with a cable (i.e. not wifi)

• Is your C8 power adapter plugged into the same circuit (and physically close) to your router?

• Does the old C8 Power adapter still work?

• Do you have the ability to connect the new C8 via Wireless?

( in the below the use of "likely" and "probably" is because high voltage spikes are not predictable.)

I ask these because to damage the C8 there is likely the spike was different on the router and on the C8 power supply. Else, the damage would probably not make it through the C8 power adapter.

If you could get your new C8 to connect via WiFi (normally not suggested if cable is possible) there would be one less path for future spikes to enter the C8. Oh, also don't have your C8 sitting on a metal cabinet.

I don't know anything about your internet provider and their router. My guess it is a cable modem/router in one device. Have you considered purchasing your own?

John

The C8 was connected to the Konnected UPS with USB. Most likely similar to below.

So if the Konnected is plugged in a distance away from the router, the same spike path exists.

Hello. I was able finish most of the programming on the C8 and everything was working well including integration with Alexa. The last point was to set up the Static IP. Set up the IP Address and Default gateway and I think a set up the wrong DNS server (set up an incorrect address). I am able to discover the hub via MAC address, but can't connect to it. I pressed the network reset button on the HUB for 10 seconds and it restarted, but after that it's not connecting to the internet. I am able to access the dashboard via cloud, but now hub does not connect to the Hub (light flashes green and red). How can I connect back to the hub so I can fix the DNS or any other problem? Thank you
Image 01-11-24 at 4.26 PM.jpeg

Green / red flashing means its not getting a connection at all, no link. If it is still wired via ethernet, may need to shut down the hub, pull power for 10 seconds then restart it, or possibly restart the router or whatever it is connected to. Could be a bad ethernet cable as well.

For the network reset, you hold the button then let go, LED should flash blue a couple of times and then it restarts. This put the hub back to the default network setup with DHCP.

1 Like