Broken Hub Mesh

We lost power yesterday for about an hour. When the power came back on neither my C5 or C7 would reconnect to the hub mesh. I have tried disabling hub mesh then re-enabling, removing shared devices and re-adding them. I also did a soft reset and reloaded from backups but still nothing. After disabling the mesh network, and turning it back on it does not give me the option to input a new mesh token. It just shows no hubs in the connected hubs section. I have a lot of rules that I need to keep so that everything functions correctly. I really have no idea what to do next. I saw something about making sure that the mesh runs on TCP and not UDP, but I don't see where this setting would be. I am currently on platform version 2.3.9.136.

PS: I also have both hubs network names unique. I use static IP's for both hubs.

have you tried rebooting your router?

It’s recommended to use DHCP reservations on the router, rather than doing a fixed IP on the hub. But if rebooting the router doesn’t fix it, you might try holding the network reset button on the bottom of the hubs until they reboot. I believe it’s the square hole amongst the field of round holes, or vice versa.

2 Likes

My router is just a Firewall. No DHCP and No DNS. Everything runs off my Servers. I did update my DHCP server to reserve the IP I Assigned I will check to see if I need to reset the network on the hubs.

That option was changed a LONG time ago, you can no longer select that.

I agree with the others to do the address reservation on the router instead of the hub, and reboot your router. I would also do a full shutdown and remove power from the hubs, instead of just a reboot. A full shutdown with pulling the power does different things than a simple reboot.

1 Like

All has been done. I've disabled hub mesh then restarted again. Still the same thing. It won't even give me an option to input a new hub token. It still says reconnect then nothing. Is there someway to clear the tokens and start over with the hub mesh. Even after disabling nothing much changes except for it giving an option to re-enable. It still displays the hub token to the right. Once I click on enable i only has the options for reconnect and disable. After each settings change I reboot the device. I've done all options that were given above. I even restart my HW firewall. My router is an enterprise router not a home unit. I use MS servers for all of my network services, and I did add the two hubs to the reservations with the same IP's.

Really!? That's what you got from my response. Please reread my posts on my configurations.

I decided to try something different, instead of restoring my c-7 I went ahead and left it clean then tried to add the hub mesh. I got the same issue, it is still not seeing the c-5. These all worked perfectly before the power outage. Next step I will try a clean config on my c-5, so then both the c-7 and c-5 are fresh.

To be clear, you mean "Hub name on LAN" and not just "Hub name," right? (It technically shouldn't even matter, but some people have reported it to help...)

Do you have Hub Login Security enabled? This option is irrelevant if you don't.

It seems like you have a fairly complicated network setup. I would make sure you are not inadvertently blocking mDNS, TCP over port 8083, or anything else that might be causing these problems.

I'm not sure if a network reset on the hub was one of the "options that were given above" that you tried, but if not, that would be one of my recommendations. If you have a static set on the hub itself, that will clear it (along with other settings) and would need to be set again, but network misconfiguration on the hub is a common cause of problems, and this is an easy way to eliminate that as a possibility.

2 Likes

I do have UI login security enabled. Network names are different. Tried the network reset, also did not help. On the internal network nothing is being blocked. So how would I block mDNS on the HE's if this is what you are stating? It would have to be intentional wouldn't it? As I did state my last post, I did do a soft reset on both, so they are clean units.

I do find it interesting that, both of my HE's worked for two years without issue before the power outage. Now all I have tried to do is get to a point were I don't have to wipe out all ofy rules and start over. What is the issue that my hubs are not functioning properly after the power outage and there has been no change to my internal network functions, and my infrastructure has not changed.

A soft reset does not clear network settings, hence the specific recommendation for a network reset.

I am not talking about on the hub but rather on own network. (Overly complicated home networks with accidental misconfiguration are strong contenders for #1 cause of "network problems" on the hub that are actually something else. Not saying that it is here, just that these are two things to look out for since your setup probably has the capability to accidentally change this behavior. :smiley: )

EDIT: This does remind me, autonegotiation on the hub does have occasional problems with certain models/brands of switches. You'd probably notice more things too, like slow web UI, but switching to Fixed 100 Mbps in Network Settings (or back to auto if you are there now) might help if you are affected.

This is not the actual name of any setting so I again want to make sure you mean "Hub name on LAN" and not "Hub name," which are the two names you'll find.

Still not sure about your actual problem, as that is certainly odd. If you haven't tried completely shutting down both hubs and bringing them up in a specific order (try one first and if that doesn't work, repeat with the opposite order -- wait a few minutes for re-connection to be sure), maybe that will help rule out some oddity?

1 Like

Well, I have completely done a soft reset on both. I had done a network reset as someone requested above. Originally I had changed both the Hub Name and the LAN name on the hubs, each hub was completely different from the other which is common sense in networking. After the boot-up from the soft reset I only did the bare minimum to bring them up (ie; Hub & Network name changes, accepting the T&C, etc.) then I enabled the hub mesh and rebooted again. Just to be clear I did not enable UI Security during this procedure. Once It booted, I went to the hub mesh and saw nothing listed where the other hub would be listed along with the IP address, still nothing. I am at a loss. The network configuration is now configured with via IP reservation. The network speeds are auto negotiating. mDNS is not turned off or disabled or even blocked on my network.

Should I try down rev-ing my platform version? Could this be an Issue. I had just finished updating about 12 hours before the power outage.

Another question. After enabling the hub mesh, It has only two buttons "Reconnect" and "Disable". The question is why would reconnect be there as an option and not a connect button if this is newly enabled? Is there something stuck on the config that it keeps looking for something?

Another thing I want to make clear. All network servers are on UPS's, Small devices like switches, AP's, HE's are not on UPS's. So all network configuration is done by the servers which did not go down at all or shutdown gracefully during the outage. Main reason is because all server run on RAID 5, and because of mission critical configurations and not wanting to lose any data or configurations or application corruptions (ie; Exchange Server, DNS, DHCP, etc.).

I may have forgotten, but don’t you have to “share” a device before the other hub “sees “ the sharing hub?

This I do not know. But I would assume if you can enable it the Hub should still be seen. I went and rolled back to version 2.3.6.136

I went ahead and restored a previous backup from about 17 months ago. It has all of my devices and rules that where all working at that time along with hub mesh. After restoring the backup I went ahead and rebooted. It still says reconnect, and does not have an option to put in the token because the UI security is on.

As I stated, I might be misremembering, but why don’t you share a device from each hub and see if they “linkup”?