Broadlink RM Mini3, Wifi password

Is there any way to change the WIFI password for this device using IHC?

I really don't want to remove the device from the IHC app and the Broadlink app

Response from Broadlink

With reference to your concern, we would like to inform you that any changes in the SSID or password of the Wi-Fi router, it will result in losing the entire configuration on the BroadLink device and you cannot recover the database. And, in this case you need to re-configure the BroadLink device and re-add all the compatible appliances.

1 Like

well that really stinks and is poor engineering on broadlink's part. But in HE it shouldn't matter if device is reset, all the codes are in HE, and HE uses the MAC & IP to communicate with the device.
Right ?

The cause for my original inquiry is my UPS plugged TP-Link router had DHCP issues after power was restored from Hurricane Isaias. It seemed a bit weird prior to the power failure.

Believe it or not, TP-Link's support "solution" was to change the Wifi network password. Strange as it may seem it fixed the router's problem. I could easily adjust most of my WIFI devices, but not the RM3 Minis that were offline in both IHC, and Hubitat using the Broadlink app.

My next step was to restore the original network password. Devices connected to 2.4 band worked, but anything using 5ghz once again got stuck in "Obtaining network connection" . So I shut down the 5ghz band and everything including the rM3 Minis worked, and continues working on 2.4.

Time for a new router. Take a drive to my local Best Buy store, it's got power (again) but their sales and payment system is down due to Hurricane Isaias. So no new router yesterday, and with everything working it gives some time to make a rational decision for the new router. I have a long narrow house, with some masonry walls, so I'm considering a mesh system.

I have been using the Google Home and Google Nest Mesh and have been very happy with it. The only thing for me though is that all the nodes needed to be hard wired (So I bought the Nest Wifi on Amazon where they sell a set of two, but no "Points").

There is something odd with my house (maybe because I have plastered sheetrock?) that blocks Wifi signals. I have two hubs in adjacent rooms. If one of them is unplugged, it reports a poor network connection. It is also just 6 foot or so off from being line of sight to another one that is 30 feet away...

I suspect that if you have masonry walls, you may run into similar issues.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. Getting a hardwired connection to the second router is real challenge in my house.

Is this what you are using?
https://www.amazon.com/Google-Nest-Wifi-Router-Generation/dp/B07YMJ57MB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nest+wifi&qid=1596730343&sr=8-3

Yes, that’s the one. It has two devices that can be hard wired. That said, if you can’t hard wire both, it may not be the best option. They also sell 2 or 3 packs at Best Buy, with 1 hard wired router and 1-2 points. You could test it too see if that works in your house.

On the mesh front, we have an old cottage, built in the 1500s. Stone walls average over a meter thick, this can be challenging for decent wireless connectivity as you can imagine. After much thought I decided on an Orbi setup, while it's definitely not cheap I've been impressed overall. Not exactly "prosumer" in it's options but it supports the basics, vpn etc.

I forgot to mention, one of my deciding points was the satellites are wireless - no need to hardwire. I'm running cat 6 to a central cabinet while we renovate but there is currently no way to route a line without some serious humbuggery.

Prior to receiving your response, the Orbi was at the top of my list, and now I will likely purchase a three device package.

Those 1 meter thick walls put my ~30cm(1 foot) walls to shame. Was it part of a castle defense system?

It was initially a Reiver's stronghold, the "Castle" came later and is half a mile down the lane :wink:

Basically it's a stone built cottage, with thick rubble stone walls. It would initially have had a thatched roof for ease of replacement but it's been slated since the early 1700s (the slate came from quarries closed in the 1750s). They were built to be defended, reivers were outlaws on the English/Scottish Borders throughout the Middle ages and rather unpopular with both sides. Basically you had to defend what you stole, this rather affected the design of your accommodation. It's obviously grown and changed over the years but the basic footprint is still there.

Addendum - The orbi mesh can be a little temperamental, getting it stable may take a few days but it's been solid for me for over a year now. I particularly like the fact you can plug something into the satellite for a wired connection if required. Just beware of wardrobes, for some reason the only bad dead spots I've noticed are where I'm shadowed by rails of clothing. Odd, but there you go. Good luck!

Your house certainly has an interesting history! Reminded me of an English Country dance tour, called Playford Dancing in the UK, I did in the early 90's as part of a US based band's UK tour. One of my fondest memories was spending some time drinking (very hard) cider at a pub originally built around 1450. Not all was controlled dancing. The "Barn Dancing" at the Sidmouth Festival was fantastic! Returned to the UK a few times for that festival.

Just wondering which Orbi model you are using, and if i has a built in VPN? If you are using the VPN, can it get into HE?

Sounds like a fun time was had!

It's a couple of years old so may have been superceded by now, it's the RBR50 router with the RBS50 satellite.

It's an openVPN setup that I use specifically for accessing the hub and my internal network, it means if something critical goes down while I'm away then it can be dealt with as long as there is an Internet connection available. It wasn't a huge chore to configure and has been rock solid - I haven't touched it since the initial setup.

1 Like

you can use google nest wifi mesh system or even the older version in pair with the new ones the older versions are way cheaper and have internet outlets i have one nest mesh router one nest point and to google wifi to bring internet hardwire into 3 rooms

Well thats just not true. I have a TON of home automation products and recently went through a situation where I needed to remove someone's access who no longer lived here. I decided to change both the SSID and password. I have TP-Link smart light switches, Broadlink RM Pro, August Deadbolt, Ring Doorbell, SmartLife Plugs, on and on. There is an easy way to change over almost any wifi connected device including all the ones I just mentioned except Ring which was a bit trickier.

Open up the respective app for the device and find the "add a new device" button and have it handy. Press the reset or power button on the device until the light starts blinking, usually about 5 seconds. Go through the setup in the app just like it was a new device connecting it to your new wifi. When the app says successful and asks you to give it a name or add it to a room or some such, force close the app. The device wifi has been updated but its settings and registration are intact. I did this with about 15 devices in a row with no issue. When you reopen the app it will "see" the device on the network and think it was there the whole time. The RM Pro did sit there for about a full 5 min before it finally connected but it did work the first time.

The only exception was the TP-Link wall light switches which were so thoughtfully designed it recognized what I was doing on its own and said "do you want to wipe the device or leave it alone". So easy! Love that company.

1 Like

I tried to follow this process a year ago and failed. I tried again today and it partially worked. Using the "Broadlink App" signs you into your account and makes trying to time correctly and quit out very tricky. I was stuck attempting to get both devices connected, multiple resets, with nothing to show for an end result.

Downloaded "e-control" broadlink app. (Did not need to open any ports, or allow through firewall) It asked me to sign in, be sure to skip this step. Be sure your ready device is flashing fast blue. Click plus to add advice, add WiFi info and configure. Configure success. Fast blue stops. Back button to quit app. Done in a few seconds for each device!

1 Like