Broadlink RM IR device api

how do I install it? new to go stuff

Can please post instructions for building and installing this Rpi2 - never done and go stuff and your github page assumes knowledge of rice and go

1 Like

@rob121 could you please let me know what file I should use in a raspberry Pi 4 (ARM v8)? Tks

Ditto this. Instructions would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

doesn't look like he is into sharing with ordinary users, its probably a geeky bragging/showoff thing, not for people not in the club.

Anyway I did something slightly different and got Broadlink working with my echo system. I am mostly Homekit and use it with homebridge. There is a Broadlink plugin for Homekit. There is also a web based config plugin which lets you control Homekit via web, and there is an Alexa plugin for homebridge with those three things you can control devices with iPhones etc and use Alexa to control things. So while I cant use it directly with Hubitat it doesn't really matter

That's a pretty unfortunate way to look at it.

There is some troubleshooting and setup discussion in this other thread: Hubitat and Broadlink RM Pro + WIFI + IR + RF Remote Controller - #54 by rob121

Setup is not too bad if you are using one of the platforms that builds are pre-supplied for. I recommend Raspberry Pi personally, because it was easier to setup a startup service using the supplied systemd service file.

1. Grab the appropriate files from the latest release: Releases · rob121/broadlinkgo · GitHub

2. Transfer files to your Raspberry Pi and extract everything. Set file permissions to be executable if necessary, and then make sure you can invoke the main service from the command line. Just use default options (i.e. ./broadlinkgo)

3. Verify everything works on the server side by browsing to http://(IP of Raspberry Pi):8000/ . Test drive some of the functionality described in the readme, including capturing commands from remotes (you'll need this to try anything out with Hubitat): broadlinkgo/README.md at master · rob121/broadlinkgo · GitHub

4. If everything works in the web portal, try it with Hubitat. Install this driver code (or similar), and create a virtual device of that type. Then enter the onURI and offURI options to match the URL format for commands described in the broadlinkgo readme. HubitatPublic/examples/drivers/httpGetSwitch.groovy at master · hubitat/HubitatPublic · GitHub

5. If all of that works, you can use the supplied broadlinkgo.service file to get things running automatically at startup. Be sure to edit the .service file if you changed any options and to reflect where the main broadlinkgo program is stored on your Raspberry Pi. Here's a useful systemd intro if needed: systemd/Services - Debian Wiki

1 Like

On Github under releases there is already a raspberry pi version compiled! You don't have to do anything special

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated!

Sorry all - I've been absolutely consumed with work for the last few months (talking mostly 18-20 hour days and 1 very fun 26 hour day!) I've pushed through on those projects and so life is slowing down now with the holidays over.

1 Like

I wish I was that snarky, in reality I've just been so busy I haven't had a chance to come in here. My hub was acting up as well so the whole home automation thing really fell by the way side. I've been turning on my lights manually (gasp)

1 Like

EDIT

This is the v5 arm version for most raspi's

https://github.com/rob121/broadlinkgo/releases/download/1.08/broadlinkgo-linux-arm5-raspi

This is the version I just compiled for raspi 4 (untested)

https://github.com/rob121/broadlinkgo/releases/download/1.08/broadlinkgo-linux-arm8-raspi4

1 Like

New Release with specific support for RM Mini 3 (most people were fine with the RM Mini support, but this adds the device signature for RM Mini 3 specifically)

I've gotten a couple PM's about RF support, I didn't add it because I don't have a RF supporting device, I only have rm mini 3's - if anyone has a spare they want to lend me I'll try and look into it.

Can you clarify this with more details to a newbie please? I downloaded the latest release, broadlinkgo-linux-arm8-raspi4, but am not given any opportunity to extract something. It simply asks me to "Select an application to open 'executable' files."

Thank you.

@rob121

I'm not sure what I meant with the extracting step. It looks like the executable is directly in @rob121's release, but the .service file is in the source code archive so that was probably it.

Regardless, I'd recommend executing this from the command-line rather than the Pi GUI. Open up a command window and navigate to the directory where you stored the broadlinkgo executable. You may have to 'sudo chmod +x <filename>' to make it executable.

Check this out

@tomw I tried that. No dice. I have to chalk it up to linux ignorance.

@Rxich I found that. Unfortunately, the developer pulled the code and it's no longer available.

You need to do 'sudo ./broadlinkgo-linux-arm8-raspi4' to invoke the executable.

I think I'm going to try the Node Red option that I found. if I struggle to get past the first step here, that's probably a good sign that I shouldn't continue. :slightly_smiling_face:

@stephen_nutt I would just point out from your screen shot that you spelled the program name wrong (omitted the k). Of course use what you please but you really were close!

2 Likes

i tried again with the "k" then used what @tomw suggested and got a Syntax error.

I am sure that I am doing something newbie-ish so i am going to examine other option.

That syntax error leads to a possible error in the file. I will be hopefully trying to load this up on my pi 4 tonight, and I'll try and grab screenshots of the steps, if I get the same error I'll also try and see if I can debug the file, unless if @rob121 has already replied about any of this by the time I get the moment to start playing with it.