Broadlink IR/RF remotes integration (RM3 Mini, RM Pro, RM4 Mini/Pro)

I just posted v0.9.6, which includes:

• A workaround for @wogfun's browser hanging issue (clear the code attributes on Initialize/reboot, so at least the device page will load)
  • Improved error handling and an activity message that alerts the user when a locked device is encountered (FYI @telf8283 and @wogfun)
1 Like

Hello! first of all thanks @tomw for the integration!...This is my first day with HE, sorry if my question is dumb...I created the virtual devices for the remotes, generated couple of codes, tested and saved them in to the virtual devices, everything great so far...now the big question is HOW I use those codes outside the virtual device... :sweat_smile:

Do I need to use another APP to the pull the codes?...
how can I push the codes and create a virtual switch into the HE Dashboard to control the devices?

EDIT:
I managed to create a remote using the Broadlink virtual remote into the dashboard and naming the "Button Number" as the code previously created, my question now is there anyway to label each button differently? my final goal would be to control everything through Alexa if possible

EDIT2:
I pulled an all nighter, was fun. finally managed to get my devices working as I wanted. I created a virtual switch and use it as trigger for a rule made in the Rule Machine.
Thanks a lot for the Integration worked like a charm :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Sounds like you had a fun night. :slight_smile:

If you haven't already found it, take a look at the app I included in my integration (Broadlink System Manager). It allows you to sync and replicate codes between your virtual devices and also has some additional capabilities to import codes in other formats. There are installation and usage instructions in my readme on GitHub.

One other feature that may help simplify your automation routines is thesequence feature that I described here: Broadlink IR/RF remotes integration (RM3 Mini, RM Pro, RM4 Mini/Pro) - #50 by tomw

Thanks for the info, honestly everything is new for me. First hub and I went straight to the deep end of the pool with HE hahahahaha...yesterday I learned about installing the apps, creating virtual devices, creating the dashboard, learning about basic rules and rule Machine...the learning curve is STEEP but fun for me.

Here is the simple rule I made to turn my dumb AC and turning off the light by pushing the code from your integration by name no idea how do it with the codes.

It looks like you are using it exactly as I intended. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :slight_smile:

You could also combine the multiple commands like this, with a 1/2 second delay between them just for demonstration:

push('sequence: code=On Aire Acondicionado; delay=500; code=Luz del Aire Acondicionado')

1 Like

I have installed the App and Driver. Created a device called RM-3 Mini #3. Learned a few codes and saved them Floor LEDs On, Floor LEDs Off, Floor LEDs Red, etc. I cannot figure out how to send commands. Does each command need a virtual device. I have been all over Rule Manager and am not seeing a way to do it. ELI5

You need to use Run Custom Action in RM to send the codes that are saved in your virtual devices.

You can do it with either of these custom commands (which are described in more detail in the readme linked to from my first post in this thread):

• Use the sendSavedCode command to send a code by name that you previously saved.
  • Use the push command to send a saved code by name. Enter the code name as the button number parameter.
1 Like

I just stumbled on the Run Custom Action in RM. your info on using sendSavedCode and Push info just saved me some time though. thanks

Currently the driver & manager app are failing to install via HPM v1.8.7

Hubitat Package Manager

**Error Occurred During Installation**

An error occurred while installing the package: Failed to install driver https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tomwpublic/hubitat_broadlink/main/broadlinkRemoteDriver. Please notify the package developer..

If I choose to include the System Manager app with the install, the error is similar, but points to that source URL (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tomwpublic/hubitat_broadlink/main/broadlinkSystemManagerApp).

Both URLs are valid.

Attempting to install the driver itself within HE by Driver -> Import correctly downloads the source, but it fails the syntax check with:

library not found on line 654: #include tomw.broadlinkHelpers

Following the steps listed on Github manually worked just fine. I suspect that HPM wasn't importing the bundle (hubitat_broadlink.zip).

1 Like

Are you certain that you are on HPM 1.8.7 and that you only have one version of HPM installed? It is odd that people are having issues with this bundle and HPM, because it has always worked well for me. I'm glad that you got it sorted out manually, regardless.

Are you certain that you are on HPM 1.8.7 and that you only have one version of HPM installed?

Yes, and yes.

@tomw - another awesome integration here - thank you!

I got a new RM4 Mini now integrated and working great here as virtual device and I have a second one arriving over the weekend (both will be used to control the same model window fan in 2 different locations).

I tried using the System Manager app to capture the codes for my first remote here, but System Manager crashed (Unexpected Error) every time I selected the remote device...

I tried a couple uninstalls & reinstalls and I'm certain I'm following the directions OK... I had debugging on, but the only thing the logs for System Manager ever mentioned was a mysterious blurb: "code not found: Toggle All On/Off". (I don't have any codes like that programmed).

So I just removed the System Manager app from my Apps list - the truth is I don't really need it - my second device will be super easy to set up anyway (just a couple commands to capture), so I wasn't going to get much mileage out of it anyway. That being said, I see the huge potential for its value in other use-cases!

As long as the virtual remote devices are working totally fine, is there any potential problem with not having the System Manager installed as an app?

Thanks again -- much winning here!

1 Like

As long as the virtual remote devices are working totally fine, is there any potential problem with not having the System Manager installed as an app?

Nope! It is only needed if you want to share codes between different virtual devices (which may be useful to you if you're using the same device in different places) OR if you need any of the advanced code import features in the app such as Pronto codes. With that said...

What browser are you using? I found and reported a few bugs to @gopher.ny with the "Toggle All On/Off" behavior in apps with Hubitat platform version 2.3.2.xxx. This is a built-in part of the Hubitat UI that is relatively new.

I found that it worked in Chrome but not in Firefox (on my Windows machine), and there were other random browsers that had some trouble. I would be interested to see if there are any improvements in the next version, but I'm not a beta tester. What version of the Hubitat platform software are you on, and what web browser are you using?

1 Like

Sweet - thanks for confirming that first question!

I'm using Edge on Mac (all of that up to date with latest [non-beta] versions), and I'm running the latest HE beta (2.3.3.116) currently.

At some point over the weekend, I can try some other browsers for giggles on my Mac -- I'll let you know if a different browser yields other results.

Your BL integration here is awesome... I tried a couple RM4 Minis ~1 year ago and wasn't happy with their range so I went with SwitchBot (your integration there worked really well!). But since you brought this BL integration back to life, I got the itch to try BL again... Started off with one here as an experiment and it's working great - no range issues. Maybe I just got duds earlier or the firmware improved or who knows what. But I'm a big fan of the relative simplicity of this BL integration over the SwitchBot. So far so good - thanks!

ETA -- The "sequence" trick = totally brilliant! My window fans have this maddening thing where if they are on, any single button press just wakes them up, so any change command requires two back-to-back presses. But with sequence, super easy-peasy to work around-- that kind of awesomeness makes your stuff a cut above :+1:

1 Like

I have to be a bit pedantic -- only because the licensing for the "withdrawn" integration was ambiguous -- but this wasn't a revamped version of that in any way. I wrote this code from the ground up using different references and did not re-use or reference any code from that integration.

Thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm. I didn't know if anybody other than me had even tried the sequence feature. :wink:

2 Likes

Right on -- that was a bad choice of words on my part-- I know this is all new under the hood. I just meant to say that you resurrected BL as a viable option for the community once again - that's a big win.

2 Likes

Nice work @tomw , I just found this driver / app. My old RM3 Mini app was starting throw errors.
Couple of questions, is the App required if I am just using one RM3? Or will the driver do what's required and the App comes into play if i setup more RM3 Minis. From reading your instructions on Github, I think the latter is the case.

Currently I use the RM3 Mini for an electric fireplace, only 4 functions, Power, Temp up, Temp down and Mode. To do this I have created a virtual device called Fireplace to act as the switch to Push the code through, so I can use Alexa. It would be kind of streamlined if you could add more commands to your driver with typical Heater, HVAC, AC, Fireplace commands such as the ones I mentioned above, then they can be controlled directly from RM or a voice assistant. For example an On and Off button that we can store the codes to and be actuated directly from the driver, most all devices controlled by IR / RF have power. We could then name the Virtual Device (RM Mini) the device it's controlling and use some functions directly. Make sense? Possible?

Correct, you only need the app if you need to share codes between multiple virtual devices. No need for it if you only have one remote.

Your suggestion on common device commands is technically possible, but it would complicate things quite a bit and I want to keep this driver to be as simple and remote specific as possible.

The use case you described is better served by custom integrations built on top of my driver. For example, there's an HVAC specific app that is popular which works with my driver serving the specific IR remote functionality that it needs along with the HVAC specific functionality that it adds separately.

2 Likes

I am new to this Forum and Hubitat, but not new to smarthome or IT stuff. I am having this exact same problem, just got the NEW Hub and updated the firmware, just installed HPM, and just gave it a test ad i am really interested in the Broadlink IR/RF controlling. Here is my environment for duplication.

kicking the tires on Hubitat.

Platform Version: 2.3.3.121
Hardware Version: Rev C-7
Tried in both: Chromium: Version 105.0.5195.125 (Official Build) (64-bit)
and
in Firefox for Linux Mint: 105.0 (64-bit)

The interesting thing is I can get to the url and see the code in the browsers if i go directly:
h t t p s:
___//raw.githubusercontent.com/tomwpublic/hubitat_broadlink/main/broadlinkSystemManagerApp

But inside the Hubitat webpage, using HPM, I get the exact errors as reported here.

So something to do with the HUB/HPM getting to the weburl? Do i need to turn something on inside my Hub sidings maybe to allow this connection? When installed HPM I left the authentication switch off for now, not sure if that impacts this.

Hope this helps in understanding where the issue might be.

Sorry that it would be a sub post of the one I was refering to ....

I was referring to the errors and situation of the post above titled "Currently the driver & manager app are failing to install via HPM v1.8.7"