Brilliant Smart Home Controller

Just discovered these and they look pretty cool! Anybody have them?

https://www.brilliant.tech/home

Might want to check with @arlomiller and a couple others in this thread:

I have one, and as much as I wanted to like it, it's in a Box on the shelf.

Tried it in a 3-way location, and it wouldn't ever quite work (odd wiring as I recall). Looked around the house, and every single pole switch I have (outside of a fan) is in a double or triple gang box, which won't work - or contains no neutral wire.

My situation is probably unusual, but in the end, I could never find any place to put it. One day, I'll pull a neutral in one of the upstairs bedrooms and stick it there.

S.

1 Like

I guess I'm "poor" or just cheap, but $300.00 for one single switch, that's a huge no. I'm not sure why HA companies insist on pricing themselves out of reality(at least my reality).
And if the company goes "iris" then what?
For 300 I'm getting 2 more hubitats and 2 small tablets, and I'll be running when the web goes dark.

6 Likes

Don't disagree with you at all. For me when I purchased it on some crowdfunding site (can't remember if it was Kickstarter or Indigogo) it was more of a "that's a cool toy" let's see what it can do purchase, with no real intent of actually deploying multiple units across the house initially. I had hoped that if it worked, and it went into some sort of Mass production, the price would drop into the much more reasonable ranges...

Not to mention, I bought it during my less wise SmartThings days....

But you're spot on. For me, It's an expensive doorstop in the end, and that function would be better served by a tastefully colored $0.66 brick.

I have several brilliant controls and am thinking about switching to hubitat. Has anyone tested this? While they are an expensive lightswitch the ability to control lighting, sonos, etc without a phone or computer is nice. Any experience with these playing nice with hubitat?

Welcome to the forums!

Sadly I never really got my Brilliant to work in a useful way.

Since these are wifi devices, and I'm not aware of any Hubitat integrations for them, I suspect the answer is "no".

However, reading the Brilliant Home controls page here: Smart Home Products That Work With Brilliant – Brilliant Support

Indicates SmartThings compatibility, which means it might be possible to have a Hubitat integration, but given the high cost and seemingly low adoption rate (at least based on the typical forum response here), I don't really expect a formal Hubitat integration.

I haven't looked for the SmartThings integration, but you may be able to port it if you can find it on the SmartThings site.

Of course I may just have missed mention of it here. Hope I'm wrong about it! Good luck.

S.

I have 4 brilliant switches. They range from single pole to 4 pole switches. I love them!!! Im hoping that there will be HE integration soon.

2 Likes

Anyone used hubconnect and the SmartThings integration to get these working in hubitat?

Also, is the SmartThings integration cloud or local?

It’s through the cloud.

Hey this is the resurrected wink relay, and we know how that ended...bend over

1 Like

I stuck it to Wink, after they repeatedly bent me over and stuck it to me over the last 5 years, and integrated my Relay into Hubitat. Now I feel a little better.

1 Like