Blast from the past

How come you guys are taking this all so seriously? What do you care how someone offers their apps? If you don't like the terms, or the app, or the dev -- meh, don't buy it. Seems like much ado about nothing.

I mean, here we are in the Time Out Room of the Lounge, banished here by Bobby for going all negative... Lighten up!!

11 Likes

1 Like

Long ago, while Bobby and I were developing (and learning the most basic groovy on the fly) EchoSistant, we thought about charging for it.

But decided, nah! That would take all the fun out of it.

In the end we're pretty sure Amazon was sitting on us and now Alexa does 90% of the ideas we came up with.

I'm ok with the guy charging for his app. I just think he's am unethical ■■■ hat and that his coding, while better than mine, sucks.

6 Likes

Well, I hope I'll not be crucified for expressing my opinion ... :love_you_gesture:

I'd like to congratulate Hubitat for creating this category of users.

Some users here put a lot of effort and countless working hours to provide us with amazing apps for free. Although altruistic, I think that such effort should be paid for. Why not? If someone decides to charge for their work, are they wrong?

If Hubitat has a cut of their fees, it is not wrong. It's business! If you develop an app for iOS, for example, you are charged by Apple as a developer and when an user buys your app. It's fair!

I believe that it is healthy for everybody: developers, users and, don't we forget, Hubitat itself. I want to Hubitat Elevation environment to flourish, making Hubitat financially healthy and long lasting.

Let's do business!

2 Likes

I donate regularly to devs who provide a donation option, and have purchased apps/services (e.g., Rboys) where the value of the app and the quality of the experience was worth it. I don't think anyone here is against developers being compensated for their efforts.

I think the issue was this particular developer had a history on the ST platform that some of our former ST users remember, and didn't look forward to it being repeated here.

But yes, carry on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was not aware of the previous history ... makes sense.

Like you, I use to contribute too. Makes me feel good for doing it. And I don't even consider myself entitled for special treatment doing so - the excelent job done by the developer sufices me.

Yeah, let's do business!

2 Likes

Yes, that is the issue in this thread. I don’t think anyone has voiced a categorical disagreement with the notion of charging for one’s hard work.

5 Likes

@maffpt

I think the majority of folks would agree with @marktheknife.

I also don't think anyone has anything against that particular developer charging for his work. I think the issue is with his business practices (eg. access to paid upgrades can be denied if the developer doesn't like the enduser's opinion).

4 Likes

Probably I misunderstood the comments. I'm glad that the paid developers is not an issue.

However, if any developer take that direction, I think that we have the power in our hands: we go on strike over him!

1 Like

I agree. There is zero issue with charging or Hubitat taking a cut. Personally, I’ll never charge for my apps because I do it for fun. If it becomes about the $ then it becomes unfun (see my FAQ) besides I make plenty of $ as a squirrel whisperer...

13 Likes

Do you teach squirel whispering?

1 Like

Times are pretty lean for squirrel whisperers in Aus... We make our $$ from Kangaroo whispering....

3 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this. While Hubitat is easier, if people started charging I’d move to home assistant. If anything I feel Hubitat should charge more for the hub and have a nest egg to pay developers.

I disagree with your perspective. Developers charging for their work is no different than SharpTools charging for their Hubitat integration, ActionTiles monetizing their work, or paying $5 a month for Home Assistant to integrate seamlessly with Alexa.

In all three cases there are free alternatives. Why should someone who isn't interested in any of these integrations pay to subsidize those who use them?

5 Likes

How would that even work?

If you want an aftermarket part for your car, you buy it from someone that makes the part you want.

You don’t pay more for the car and then subsequently pick and choose extra stuff to add-on in the years after you first drove it off the lot.

3 Likes