Blast from the past

Soup Kitchen was the first iteration and closed years ago, but the owner has since opened (and closed, and opened again according to Wikipedia) a chain of soup takeout places:

1 Like

I used to spend a week on Long Island (Cold Spring Harbor) every summer. And spend a day in the city on the way out. Post-Seinfeld, we’d be sure to hit the Soup Kitchen for lunch.

1 Like

I'm disappointed that is what was sanctioned while other community requested developers have not been.

2 Likes

I am surprised and disappointed as well. He is clearly charging for his apps, I though that was not allowed. Or at least not allowed without an agreement with HE.

He has been added to a "developers plus" group. I take that to mean they have come to terms.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Doesn’t mean that anyone is “required” to or will purchase one of his apps/drivers....

4 Likes

:man_shrugging:

Yves came to an agreement with Hubitat that they could both live with (presumably including a cut of his “contribution” fees).

RBoy didn’t.

It really doesn’t have much to do with how much we as users want to be able to access one dev’s code over another’s.

2 Likes

Yet I am still allowed to be disappointed.

3 Likes

But you’re implying that they approve of his history that’s been mentioned above.

Last post before Bruce closes the thread! :rofl:

2 Likes

Not closing the thread. :popcorn:

16 Likes

You guys are all in time out, wait you are already. :popcorn:

9 Likes

Clearly Hubitat was able to arrive at terms with him, SharpTools and ActionTiles.

So, if other developers can’t come to agreed terms, it would suggest they are willing to part with less, or expect something else from Hubitat Inc.

3 Likes

would love to be a fly on the wall, and see what the differences in the negotiations and settlements were.. Too bad I would love lock manager as in my experience it was much more robust than the built in one.

Feel free to interpret my comments as you see fit.

All we can do is our best to interpret others' comments here (and elsewhere in life). Nonetheless, I apologize if anything I've said came across as dismissive of your opinion, which as you've noted we're all free to express.

How come you guys are taking this all so seriously? What do you care how someone offers their apps? If you don't like the terms, or the app, or the dev -- meh, don't buy it. Seems like much ado about nothing.

I mean, here we are in the Time Out Room of the Lounge, banished here by Bobby for going all negative... Lighten up!!

11 Likes

1 Like

Long ago, while Bobby and I were developing (and learning the most basic groovy on the fly) EchoSistant, we thought about charging for it.

But decided, nah! That would take all the fun out of it.

In the end we're pretty sure Amazon was sitting on us and now Alexa does 90% of the ideas we came up with.

I'm ok with the guy charging for his app. I just think he's am unethical ■■■ hat and that his coding, while better than mine, sucks.

6 Likes