[Beta] Wink Relay - LAN Integration

Josh - Thanks for the work and for sharing this. Just got mine up an running and am very pleased to be able to still use the Relay device.

For anyone ... did you figure out how to gain individual control of the 2 relay buttons? I have rule machine working with a VR switch to give me the ability to use custom names and drive simple on/off through Alexa.. but I can't find where to locate the individual relays for the action.

1 Like

It's a custom command to control the relays:

• relay1On()
  • relay1Off()
  • relay2On()
  • relay2Off()

For the buttons it's the attributes:

pushed [1, 2] (eg. 1=top, 2=bottom)
topButton ['on', 'off']
bottomButton ['on', 'off']

Thanks... I found a post last night directing me into Button Controller as well... I created a the custom commands, then a Virtual Button controller to assign the commands to through and finally a VR swithch for the On/Off and tied it through Rule Machine.

MK

If I do this and also use the homebridge plugin, will the relay buttons be available in homekit

Also my top relay is connected to hue bulbs. Is there a way I have it always on (powered) but have the physical button toggle my hue lights on and off, but not cutting the power?

How did you set the bottom button to do nothing? I’m looking do do this Good morning, how to make a switch/button do nothing

Thanks for the message! I replied in the other thread, but cross posting it here as well...

I don't use Wink Relays in my home anymore, so I'm going from memory on this but I thought I had included an option directly on the STWinkRelay app for choosing what action is taken when the button is pressed (eg. control the built-in relay or do nothing).

What rule did you use?

Has anyone successfully modified the driver to display both relays. I use homekit via homebridge as my front end. Now, it only shows one relay. If it showed both, it would be a very rare and imo the best HomeKit switch one can buy

Wow! What case enclosure is that? Very slick lookin!

It was made by a guy named Bob Strenger, but I believe he's stopped producing them.

There's several available on Etsy though:
https://www.etsy.com/search?ref=tab_search&q=fire+tablet+mount

@josh I realize the thread is kind of stale, and that you no longer use your Wink Relays, but I just migrated over to HE and figure why not give it a try. Already had my Relays rooted, so I skipped all that way to the end, installing the STWinkRelay apk. Install there goes fine, however the app never opens. Hit the app button, blinks up, then immediately closes. Thoughts? Tried reboots, uninstall, and reinstall. Force Stop, Clear Cache etc.

U sure you’re clicking thr right app? If I remember, I had 2 apps with the same icon

2 Likes

It sounds like you've taken some good troubleshooting steps. The STWinkRelay app requires root access to run, so depending on what you've used for rooting the Wink Relay and what tools it has for granting root permissions, that could be a potential thing to look into.

You could also watch the ADB logs while you try to open the app. It sounds like the app is likely crashing when it first tries to open, which would likely be reported in your ADB logs.

The app crashing when it first opens could coincide with it expecting to have root permissions and failing to be able to take the actions it needs root for.

#facepalm. While I was\had rooted, I remembered after reading you reply that I had let the native Relay app run its last update, which killed off root. Re-running KingRoot has solved that issue

2 Likes

Curious if you still have this working, i.e. the Virtual Buttons. Trying to get this set up so that I can see the top and bottom loads in the dashboard

I actually got rid of the Wink Relay as it was becoming unstable.

My memory is also failing but I think it was within Button Controller (Now Rule Machine) that you could see the custom commands and tie to them.

Sorry.. I'm not much help on this one.

No worries. I have been able to get each light load configured, albiet with separate on\off functions. Meaning in the dashboard I would have 1 each for on and off for each light load. Not terrible, but not ideal as each on or off doesn't know about the other. Visually within the dashboard you wouldn't truly know if it is on or off as they could both report the same status.

Trial and error, I'll figure it out - probably with some If\Then statements within Rule Machine.

YEs, because it is a virtual button and not a switch it separates the functions or each relay

I think what I had at one point was the VR Switch that could be 'toggled' and "On" would hit button 1 aka RelayOn and "Off" would hit button 2 RelayOff

Then you could put the VR Switch on the Dashboard as your single reference point, instead of the two seperate button functions.

Sounds like you're on the right path.

2 Likes

You can create a custom command for each switch in Rule Machine and that will give you the ability to see them in Dashboard. I can't remember the steps now but I can take a look once I get home

1 Like