[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

HPM already handles the install ordering. Also HPM would not be able to read the contents of a bundle since there is no way to read a zip file from an app. I don’t really see the value. It’s a lot of extra work to code too. So I don’t have plans to add it. Libraries on the other hand make sense. I’m just sorting out the details and I’ve been busy the last couple weeks.

5 Likes

my point is packages handle two different orders

• install
    AND
  • update

so they can be different.

HPM only handles install. for update it tries to do things in install order, which generally is a bad idea.

My use case is for my LIFX Drivers which have one app - probably soon to be two, and seven drivers (soon to be eight), and will have one or more libraries once I get round to it.

I don't have a particular need for bundles, although I'll probably create one in addition to the HPM support to make it easier for people who don't use HPM.

Hi there, new to HE, migrating from Vera, getting this error when adding HE pkg manager- java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'repositories' on null object on line 3546 (method prefSettings)

Can you provide more details? When exactly did this popup? Were there any other errors?

The libraries make sense, it's just finding time to code it that's been the challenge. It'll definitely happen soon though. Bundles, however, I just don't see adding much value to HPM because HPM already does everything a bundle can do. In fact, they would restrict what HPM can do! For example what you mentioned -- 8 drivers, you only make changes to one. Well if everything is in a zip file (bundle) youy have to download the whole zip instead of just the single groovy file for that one driver. Using separate files might cause a little more HTTP traffic on first install, but it lets us have specific/selective updates.

4 Likes

I don't understand what you're saying here. Why is it "generally a bad idea"? It hasn't caused any issues that I'm aware of. Can you provide an example of why this is a problem?

1 Like

Tell me about it! :slight_smile:

I agree that bundles don't make sense for HPM. For manual installs they make a lot of sense for my use case (and even more so once I start including libraries), but I'd still rather people used HPM since it's so much more convenient.

Many parent child apps, during upgrades of data, the parent needs to be updated last to manage the upgrade.

However during initial install, the parent has to be installed first....

I see this in most every parent child app written if it manages upgrades that changes significant things. Echo speaks, webcore, etc.

Otherwise you cannot manage the upgrade without writing a lot more code.

Sorry, this premise doesn’t make sense to me. I still don’t understand what problem this is solving. What does the current method employed by HPM break? If you’re suggesting that for the brief second during the upgrade you might get an error because, say, a method has been renamed. Sure, but that can go in either direction and then in my opinion, that is on the package author to write backwards compatible code.

1 Like

It is worse than that. Coordinating shared data such as @Field on reloads is quite a bit of work.

Complex parent/child apps have to do this a lot, and it gets painful because one cannot control update order.

I’ve yet to experience any of these problems. This feels like an extreme corner case to me. I also don’t think install order solves it, you need simultaneous install. Parents can depend on children and vice versa. When the dependency can exist in either direction, order will not solve it. As a note I have written a ton of complex parent/child apps and experience no issues. I still see you talking in theory. I’d love an actual example of something that is broken.

2 Likes

When I execute command "hpm manifest-add-driver " the last parameter "required" can be set true or false, What's the difference?

Whether or not the user is forced to install that driver or is given an option to select it.

I was having a HE registration problem, it is now resolved and the error above no longer occurs and the pkg installed properly.

I keep at this status for a long time(many times I have tried):

The log as below:

Since I started use HPM, I have only successfully logged in twice, one of which has been in the refresh state after logging in.

How could I deal with the matter? And who can help me?I think i'm going crazy

I'm sure that the log is error, no log is created.

I found a solution to this problem:
In hub detail:

I found that the time was not right(now it was corrected.):

And after I updated the hub time. The HPM loaded successfully!

Now here is still a problem:

How to deal with it? Part of the update was successful.Part of the update failed。

You’re unable to connect to GitHub. This is likely an error with your router or firewall not HPM. Unfortunately there isn’t really much I can do. You need to figure out why you cannot connect to the url in those logs.

2 Likes

Thanks! I also think it may be a network problem, because I often fail to access GitHub through a browser or Git.