[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

The company will never do anything that would imply that the apps in HPM are official and supported.

1 Like

@dman2306 Please consider adding some way to find out more about a package listed in HMP. If you could include a link to the package's github repo and/or the thread about the package on the forums, I would find that incredibly useful.

As it stands currently, if I am looking for a package to install, and I want more information about one of the packages available, I have to look at the name listed and try to search for the forum thread to find out more. In some cases, the right thread isn't obvious from a search, such as if the package name has changed since the discussion thread was formed.
In my case, I had used HPM a little on my old hub, but installed it after my hub had been up and going for some time, so mainly only used it to check for updates. Now I've moved to a new home, started fresh with a new hub, and am actively looking packages to install. Often, there might be multiple packages for a specific driver, function, or integration, and I have to look each up to see which one I want to use based on which is newest/best/recently updated/otherwise superior. being able to click through to more information on each would be incredibly useful.

Thanks for the great app!

2 Likes

Try the package explorer app.

2 Likes

Would a last updated date really require backend processing? It seems like that could either be pulled from github or included in the manifests by the package creators. I assume they are already updating a version number or something in the manifest file to indicate when a new version is released, so it wouldn't add much extra work to include the date as well.

I saw that app, but based on the second sentence in it's description, "This app can no longer handle the amount of developers, apps & drivers that are now on HPM.", I assumed it was no longer functional, or at least not recommended for use. Is that not correct?

:man_shrugging: seems to work ok for me.

Which would require downloading and processing all of those hundreds of manifests. That’s the problem.

3 Likes

Is there a way to write a notification rule when HPM has an update? (And keep up the fine work, this program has become a main staple)

I get notifications now when there are updates. Look in HPM / Package Manager Settings.

4 Likes

Ahh, I found it! Thank you!

I am the first time to use HPM, and the running error as below:

Can anyone tell me what's wrong happen? The account and password I filled in are the access account and password of the hub, are they correct? Or where do I need to set one?
The log is:

If you have hub securlty turned on (Settings|Hub Login Security) they should be the same as what you entered when enabling security.

1 Like

Hub security isn't on unless you explicitly turn it on, so you probably don't need to use this option in HPM. It isn't the same as your admin account credentials.

You can check at Settings tab, Hub Login Security.

Thanks! I followed your instructions and solved the problem.

2 Likes

@dman2306 - do you plan on supporting the new (as of 2.2.8) Libraries Code and Bundles features at some point in the near future?

I can't speak for Dominick exactly, but there was a lengthy discussion about this in Beta testing that he participated in.

There are some challenges to overcome with the use of these new libraries and bundles, and it may or may not make sense to support them. They are so new I am not sure if anyone has really explored the use of them that deeply. Or if it even makes sense to use them at all.

Either way, I wouldn't expect anything anytime to show up in HPM in the near future from my observation of how that discussion went.

1 Like

I'm not particularly concerned about Bundles, but Libraries Code would be very convenient.

1 Like

I think that this is a discussion that someone (you?) should start as a new thread. I am not a coder, so I don't understand why exactly these would be "convenient". (Don't even bother explaining to me :smiley: ) I guess I get the reusing code part to a point, but there seem to be some pitfalls with this code reuse, at least with this early version of libraries.

Maybe a bunch of people smarter than me can hash out the use case for these, and how they should be implemented as well as any feature that need to be added. That thread in Beta was pretty interesting, but it isn't visible to everyone, so a new thread probably would be appropriate.

3 Likes

I plan to add library support but I don’t really feel like bundles fit in HPM. What exactly would you be looking to do with a bundle that you can’t already do in HPM?

3 Likes

Bundles appear to deal with the needs for different ordering for install vs. update (which can affect parent/child apps and apps/drivers).

It may offer HPM less steps as far as downloading components.

It likely would be a good optional add to HPM, but likely given the different HE firmware versions in the world, HPM would have to deal with both styles of deployment...