[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

Good point, that's not a scenario I accounted for. I'll take a look, should be doable (I think?)

The search feature is hosted on a server at Azure which was graciously donated by a former HE user (he's still donating it even though he no longer uses HE). Even on the cheapest plan, this account still costs about $500/yr. Sometimes we hit the resource limits of this plan because it's underpowered. The plan it should be on bumps up costs to just shy of $2,000/yr. I just don't have that kind of money to dedicate to this project on an annual basis so we're stuck with some slowness sometimes using an Azure shared plan.

5 Likes

HPM updated webcore last night and completely killed my instance of it. I had to restore my hub from backup to get it working again. I tried multiple times and each time the same thing. I noticed that it didn't follow best practice and install the piston app first, it consistently did it the other way around. In the end I manually updated in the correct order, piston first, and everything works perfectly. However HPM still thinks I have the old version of webcore installed and so wants to update it again which will no doubt kill it again. So for now HPM is disabled.

Please provide logs. Really not much we can do without the logs of what transpired.

Unfortunately as I have to restore from backup each time it seems to delete the logs. I'm not going through it all again just to get the logs. I don't want to risk doing something I can't easily return from.
Sorry but guess I'll just have to update the old fashioned way from now on.

I can understand that, unfortunately, then there isn't anything I can do to help.

Hey guys. I am have been reading thru the post, and I just want to make sure I install this correctly. I am coming from Smarthings, and trying my best to get acquainted to everything around here.

Is the only way to install this is to post the code in the App section in the dashboard?

Sorry I am sure this is a dumb question to most of you, but once I get the basics I will be on my way.

Yes, you have to manually install the Package Manager Apps code. Then you can install whatever apps and drivers are supported by the Manager through it.

2 Likes

Sort of. You need to go to the “apps code” link from the menu on the left-hand side of the hub’s web GUI.

From there, create a new app and either paste the raw code from github, or click the “import” button and then paste the link to the page in GitHub that has the HPM app code. Save the code and then you can install an instance of the app from the “apps” page in the hub GUI.

Dashboards are an app that runs on the hub, it allows you and other users to see and interact with devices via tiles on the dashboard.

However dashboards can’t be used for any administrative tasks, like adding new app code as described above.

1 Like

Perfect, got it up an running. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Just found this.. weird.. ran it, lets hope for the best. X fingers.

@dman2306 Feature request that may be useful to add: right now we can deselect a repository so that it doesnt auto update, but we cannot prevent a specific package from updating. It would be helpful to be able to prevent a specific package from auto-updating (if for instance we want to keep a modification/fork from being overwritten by the original developer's code)

You can already. In the settings you can choose which apps to auto update.

Ah, i see it. We can de-select to install all available updates.

But shouldnt it be the reverse? instead of selecting which ones we WANT to update, wouldnt it be better to select which ones to NOT update? otherwise we have to remember to add/checkbox every new packages

1 Like

Really depends on perspective I guess. I use it as an opt in. I’ve experienced many apps breaking my automations due to bad updates so I only allow a few apps to auto update.

2 Likes

Yesterday, I noticed there were some updated packages, so I ran the updater and from what I can tell looking at the apps and drivers code, they all updated fine. But HPM is still telling me there are updates available and showing the 3 packages I downloaded yesterday as the updates. When I go to view apps and drivers, the versions showing there do appear to be the old version, even though I opened the code and verified the updated version numbers.

Instead of mucking about with it, I figured I'd post here first. Should I run a repair? Just let HPM run the updates again?

Do you have logs of when this occurred? That would help figure out what happened.

How do I get old logs to show? I go to logs, select HPM, click the show past logs button, and it does load recent log entries, but if I scroll down it doesn't quite go as far back as I need it to. If I keep trying to scroll, I see text saying "loading past logs..." but nothing ever loads.

I ran a repair on the 3 packages in question. That got HPM to stop thinking there was an update available for them.

I'm new with Hubitat and it is really frustrated due that all of the how to seems to be missing some part of the steps. Am I my missing anything about Hubitat Package Manager? I see how to use it, but I don't see where does explain how to install the Hubitat PKM to my hub.