[BETA] A Z-Wave Mesh Tool [C7 and 2.2.4+ Only]

There are 2 cases where "unknown" will show in the stddev;

1. There is no data collected by the hub -- this most often is seen if the hub has been recently rebooted or if the device is a sensor and the hub hasn't sent any messages since the last reboot. In this case the RTT Avg will also show unknown

2. The data used to calculate StdDev doesn't appear to be valid; this appears to be the case seen here....

The details:

There are 3 metrics that are tracked for each device and used the RTT calculations:
"transmissionCount" - Number of messages sent
"sumOfTransmissionTimes" - Total RTT for all messages
"sumOfTransmissionTimesSquared" - Sum of RTT*RTT for all messages

The RTT Avg is based on only the count and the sum of transmission times. The Avg is simply dividing total time by count.

The StdDev is a complex calculation that uses these and the Sum of the squares of the transmission times to eventually calculate the square root of the variance, which is the StdDev. If this formula encounters an error or produces an invalid number, the StdDev will be displayed as unknown.

I am not certain of all the reasons that this can occur, but the most common from my investigations so far is that the sumOfTransmissionTimesSquared gets so big that it overflows the memory allocated to store the number and gets truncated, resulting in an obviously invalid number from the StdDev calculation. (The device would show valid values up until the sums of squares gets high enough that it overflows the accumulator.)

So.. if the RTT Avg is high and/or the count of messages is high, the RTT StdDev maybe invalid or unable to be calculated.

@tony.fleisher and @lewis.heidrick, ahhhh...I see where I got confused.

For whatever reasons, I went back into the configuration page for the tool and this is what I saw:

The "easy button" is no longer visible once you turn it on. I am guessing that the last time I saw it was long enough ago that I forgot that it exists.

If I turned things off and back on again, I can see the "easy" button once again:

but once you hit the "easy button" it disappears from view...

Marc

1 Like

@marcaronson408 Thanks for the feedback. I will try to find a way to make this a little more friendly to manage.

I bet you nailed it Tony, thanks for that explaination. Makes perfect sense to me. Really like this App btw, a very useful tool.

Just wondering. Is there a way I could extract some data from this app. Specifically I'm interested in the value of 'Repeater' 'DIRECT'. I realise it's not a perfect but I like to keep an eye on that number as I notice that over a period of time it alters and occasionally I'll do a reboot which will restore things somewhat. I'd like a way of grabbing that 'DIRECT' number for use in a variable that I can pop on a dashboard tile. That way I can avoid opening the app too regularly and having the comment from my wife "you and that bloody mesh....."

Should be able to export to excel or css

I'm not wanting to export it so much as 'grab' that value in and have it in a variable. I would then have that displayed on dashboard. It would give me a heads up if everything started rerouting through multiple hops without needing to open the app and have a look each day.

Just to clarify, are you interested in the route/repeaters for each device or the total count (in the filter panes)?

Interesting. I don't think I have heard the idea of rebooting to change device routing before this. Can you provide some details on your observations from this process?

@tony.fleisher Just the total count of Direct connections:

To be fair I don't have any major issues as such. I have noted though that on first power up or after a firmware update, the direct routes seem to be at their maximum number, in my case I've seen this as high as 34 (of 43 devices). Over a period of time it fluctuates and often I see it go down to 27/28. As I'm in the beta group, there were a lot of firmware updates and reboots but now all seems quiet on the update front so it's now been 25 days since an update or reboot.

@tony.fleisher ...I just updated my C7 to 2.3.3.128 and now I can not get the Z-wave Mesh details screen to populate. I ran it successfully just recently, but now it does not work. It just sits there and says loading.,,getting device data. I tried the force app setting reset button under the advanced tab. I also tried rebooting my hub.

Any suggestions? I do love the app and probably check it more often than I need to

Does this have anything to do with the recent database update in 2.3.3.127?

Seeing the samething

1 Like

@Sakman @krisjordan thank you for the reports. I am looking into it.

Can you confirm if this began with the update from 2.3.2.x to 2.3.3+ or if it changed with a more recent update in 2.3.3?

As for troubleshooting, if you can send me a private message with any or all of these details, it may help:

• Screenshot of logging with debug log enabled.
  • Screenshot of developer tools network requests
  • Screenshot of any messages in JavaScript console when the page loads.

Thanks.

1 Like

@Sakman @krisjordan

I have found the issue and will be working on getting a new release out to resolve this.
No need for the troubleshooting steps at this time.

6 Likes

Release v0.6.22-beta

• Fix loading issues
3 Likes

I was just about to start a post. Clicked my bookmark for mesh details this AM and stuck at loading. Now fixed - thanks

Just tried the update, still the same problem for me on all 3 of my hubs. All hubs running 2.3.3.129

I also just tried and still have the same problem. It does not load the data. C7 running 2.3.3.128. I tried removing and reinstalling the app. I also tried rebooting the hub. No luck. I have to leave shortly. I will PM you the troubleshooting data you requested this afternoon. Thanks

Same here. Mesh was running fine. After update, stuck at "loading..." forever.

I also sent Tony the info requested from the developer console in Chrome, so hopefully that helps track this down. Also @Sakman your image above has an access token in it, you way want to remove that. I am not sure if it could be used by someone for anything or not but usually any sort of "token" should not be shared publicly.

Same. The Update broke this app. This forever:

1 Like