Best Zigbee Thermostat in 2020?

Mine's "regular" one AFAIK:

• Connected - Compatible with SmartThings, SwannOne and Securifi's Almond 2015 and Almond+, with additional ZigBee platform support coming soon

I frankly didn't even notice there were "Swann" verions as well that are different. There is a review on the Swann version page on Amazon that says below. You're sure they aren't compatible?

Im sure I saw something saying they weren't but now I cant find it. :man_facepalming:

Thanks. Frankly, I am a complete HVAC idiot, I need to get better versed, I still have to look up HVAC before I type it. :wink:

I have what appears to be a basic single-stage furnace that the previous owner installed to replace the one that came w/the house. Rheem RGPN-07NAMER - Classic Series NOx 80% AFUE Single-Stage Upflow/Horizontal 75K BTU Gas Furnace.

Since we're in SoCal heating really isn't a big deal generally, and haven't had any issues w/it other than it's a little noisier than we'd like. Unfortunately it keeps working so we'll likely have it for a while. :wink:

I should have made clear it was 28 Strayan Dollarydoos.

The Zens are ex-Telstra versions and were shipped from either NSW or QLD to VIC for cheap or free (there were a couple of Telstra "Smart" Home IP cameras in the order, so it was shipped from more than one store). There appeared to be multiple Zens when I got mine, but there arenโ€™t any at the moment. Iโ€™ll post if I see that they are back in stock, as Iโ€™m checking monthly so I can get more of the cameras.

Given Hellstra stopped selling their "Smart" Home plans in April, there are probably going to be a number of devices on the market soon-ish.

1 Like

Oh nice!

Please do as I'll grab some for sure - I assume they are zigbee and not wifi versions?

I found some NIB Xfinity Zen Zigbee units on fleabay for $56 AUD and grabbed a pair - I guess I'll be selling my Pearls as NIB when they arrive! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I have 4 of those installed right now. Working great.

1 Like

So my Zen arrived today, to compare to the Honeywell T6 that I had originally purchased to replace my Nest.

Paired easily w/the Hub, just pulled the battery strip out and set the hub in inclusion mode and it joined immediately.

One thing that I'm not clear on, is there are settings under the "Info" option that I don't get. Can someone explain what these "Info" settings are? Searched for "Info" in the Zen install PDF and didn't find anything.

When I tap up or down arrows on "Info" the options below appear.

It also won't let me out of "setup" mode...I can't get it to go on to the standard display screen. I've set cooling and heating set points on the device page. It appears I can't play w/it if it's disconnected from an actual HVAC system.

image image

1 Like

Is the Installer guide of any help?

Nope. :wink:

1 Like

oops, I missed that. :man_facepalming:

Btw, Amazon hadn't shipped my Pearls so I was able to cancel the order - Im looking forward to getting the Zen's.

1 Like

Good news! :slight_smile:

It does look kinda cool, and the display is much more readable than it looked to me in pics, so that is good. Just would like to start playing w/it but want to have all the settings done right before I start messing other things up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just looking thru that manual, it appears "info" is just:

If you press the Setting icon, does that exit?

Btw, did you run through the online configurator to generate your config code? Without this it wont know what type of system it's managing.

https://zenecosystems.com/zenthermostat/install/install.php?hub=smartthings

eg my upstairs system looks like this (I couldnt help myself):

Yeah, didn't do that yet...since I'm just going to play around with it, I guess I can go ahead and configure. Would still like to know what those Info settings are for... :slight_smile:

One of those is the firmware version, but I'm not sure what the other version-looking number is. (I have the most recent firmware update on these that a SmartThings update around a year or so applied to it. This is thermostat firmware 2.32. It was never the same since...but that's another story.) My guess is that "XXX" would display your configuration code (e.g., "31N" if you have the same setup as in the manual example above). I can tell you I never used "Info" in my years of using a Zen Thermostat except for checking the firmware version after that update. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'd suggest doing that as the manual seems to imply that it won't operate correctly until you complete the config.

1 Like

Cool...thanks for that info. I'll see what I can find out about 2.16 and 2.52. Either way I don't have 2.32, so maybe both are good news? :wink:

So here's the FW release info from SmartThings:

So looks like I have 2.16, so I'm happy? :wink:

@bertabcd1234 - what don't you like about 2.32? I believe I actually could get the update (I stil l have my ST hub connected) but based on your comments my tendency would be to skip it.

I was trawling thru the manual again and I found this:

1 Like