Best Zigbee Smart Plugs

I frequently (unintentionally) turn off the entire hub. Sadly my hub is in a terrible spot in my office...prone to being hit, dislodged resulting in the power cord coming out. .i know...i really need to relocate it....but the reason I ask is a hard boot the same as powering off the radio? Or does the hub have to be powered and the zigbee radio off to accomplish the heal? Thanks.

Yes I did order from Alex. Got my iris motion sensors from him as well. Theses have been working great.

It has to be off for a certain length of time to put zigbee end devices into panic mode and reform a mesh. I don't recommend unplugging the hub willy-nilly. That's a recipe for database corruption .... (relocate your hub!)

2 Likes

So I just paired all 5 and remove my 4 peanut plugs.

I held the button down as I plugged them in until it started blinking. I then paired.

When holding down fir the zwave it doesn’t seem to work... I’ve held it down for up to 20 seconds on two units and it never starts blinking.

You might have to reset them first.

I did. I held each down as I plugged in until I saw the blue light.

Then I'm out of ideas.

Just found this on SmartTHings community forum:

@mik3
Some users have reported than holding down the button doesn’t work and instead they needed to tap the button 8 times rapidly in order to get it into pairing mode.

2 Likes

@mik3

I hope that worked. I feel badly - I actually knew that at one point of time, but just completely forgot. Mine didn't need the 8 taps - maybe that's why.

I will let you know if it works.

I’m going to wait until the weekend is done before trying. I want to make sure I have no zigbee issues.

1 Like

I must say that my zigbee devices are more responsive. And overall, so far I've experienced no temporary slowdowns for a minute or two like I used to previously.

1 Like

After the Zigbee pair, I'd just unplug/plug them back in, wait a few seconds, then the 8 rapid taps. If the relay cycled, not fast enough on the taps.

Had to learn the secret handshake for the first one, the second was confirmation, the next 7 worked without issue.

2 Likes

Now I’m trying to decide. What do I do with the peanut plugs ??

Since this thread started 2 weeks ago I should mention that I still have zero issues with any of my 70+ zigbee devices with using 12 PEANUT plugs included in this mesh. Have zero hub slowdowns and haven't rebooted this hub a single time since before this thread was started.

You want to buy the 4 peanut plugs I have ?

1 Like

I don't have a need for anymore (but I would if I did). I haven't bought any new devices in months besides a couple Lutron light switches.

I sold mine on eBay as a set of 6 for ~$50 + shipping, while noting that their use on Hubitat was not recommended. They sold right away.

4 Likes

@aaiyar I bought some of these Iris plugs from eBay. Had the same issue getting the Z-Wave repeater to pair by holding the button. Then I found this same article your referencing. 8 pushes works every time on the ones I have.

2 Likes

Any chance I need more of these iris plugs then the peanut plugs?

Do the iris have better coverage or do the peanut plugs have better coverage ?

No idea. I've seen the Iris plugs repeat for more devices than I ever saw the Peanuts do. I have one fewer Iris than Peanut plugs. Everything is working very well. So, I would suggest you wait before spending more money.

So far everything is running well.

I think I’m seeing a slight speed increase with motion lighting too.

1 Like