Best Zigbee Smart Plugs

My experience, FWIW:

I've been using mostly SmartThings Outlets for switching, with a couple of Leviton Z-Wave outlets for outdoor-ish stuff. Never a problem, never a slowdown, all LQIs in the 250s (except for the one Zigbee switch inside a metal fan housing, which hovers in the 180s).

Hearing good things about them elsewhere, and liking the form factor, I decided to buy a Peanut to test. It was plugged into an outlet in my Office, about 15 feet away from the Hubitat, with three of the ST outlets within 10 feet.

Within a day, the mesh started to malfunction - a random device LQI would drop into 80s, then repair itself in an hour or so, and then another random device would drop.

After three days of watching this, the Peanut got pulled. When three days went by without a single mesh hitch, the Peanut went into the circular file.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know I know. I paired my peanuts first with my first hub and you can guess how that turned out.
Edit: I had a lot of trouble getting devices to pair with the hub when I was switching from ST. Especially difficult were the Lightify 4-button switches, which took multiple attempts with each of the 10 switches. One of them I could never get to join and threw it away 🤦🏼 They all joined without issue to the new hub.

Just out of curiosity.

What are the steps to pair the iris plugs?

Is there a two step process for zigbee and zwave ?

That's about what I spent on the four I just removed. I have no hard data to support anything for this next statement, but I have noticed my Yale Zigbee lock on the front door seems to be more responsive now since replacing them.

1 Like

I concur with that sentiment. I will have hard data in about a week or two, but for now, my automations seem "snappier" without the Peanuts. They're mostly based on zigbee sensors triggering Lutron lights.

2 Likes

Yes.

Zigbee:

1. Reset the plug (press the button while plugging it into the receptacle. release as soon as you see a blue light. It will slowly pulse blue.
  2. Start zigbee device discovery - the plugs will be detected almost immediately as a "generic zigbee outlet".

Z-Wave:

1. Start z-wave device discovery.
  2. Hold the button in until the light begins to blink. It will be discovered as a "z-wave device"

Drivers:
You don't need any drivers, but may choose to use both of these:

1. Enhanced Smart Plug Driver, by @srwhite
  2. Iris Smart Plug Z-Wave Repeater Driver, also by @srwhite

I would recommend using them - the Smart Plug driver provides a lot more information than the generic driver. And the repeater driver lets you regularly assess repeater health. Both awesome contributions from @srwhite.

5 Likes

How reliable are these to act as zwave
Repeaters ?

Depends on the firmware version. I have enough powered z-wave+ devices, including 5 Aeotec Range Extender 6, so I am not using them as z-wave+ repeaters.

Just ordered the Iris plugs from eBay. Hopefully these will improve my mesh when I split off the Lightify lights.

Get them from alex_sari? One of my five needed a factory reset. Although it paired initially, it would shut itself off. After a full reset, I paired it again, and it has worked fine since then.

I’ve seen z wave repair, and any time i add a device i try and use that. I looked for a zigbee Repair.....can you tell me where to find that please.
Thanks.
Mac

Good to know.

This is who I purchased from.

You shouldn't have to run a zigbee repair. Zigbee networks are supposed to be robustly self-healing. So there is no "zigbee repair". If you absolutely feel like you have to do this, then turn off the zigbee radio for ~20 minutes and then turn it on again.

1 Like

There is none afaik - the network should be self-healing. You can turn off the zigbee radio for ~20 minutes and the devices go into some sort of panic mode and will rebuild when turned back on but I think but that's it as far as HE goes. I don't know if that is a recommended way to handle things or not.

ninja'd by @aaiyar!!! :rofl:

1 Like

I frequently (unintentionally) turn off the entire hub. Sadly my hub is in a terrible spot in my office...prone to being hit, dislodged resulting in the power cord coming out. .i know...i really need to relocate it....but the reason I ask is a hard boot the same as powering off the radio? Or does the hub have to be powered and the zigbee radio off to accomplish the heal? Thanks.

Yes I did order from Alex. Got my iris motion sensors from him as well. Theses have been working great.

It has to be off for a certain length of time to put zigbee end devices into panic mode and reform a mesh. I don't recommend unplugging the hub willy-nilly. That's a recipe for database corruption .... (relocate your hub!)

2 Likes

So I just paired all 5 and remove my 4 peanut plugs.

I held the button down as I plugged them in until it started blinking. I then paired.

When holding down fir the zwave it doesn’t seem to work... I’ve held it down for up to 20 seconds on two units and it never starts blinking.

You might have to reset them first.

I did. I held each down as I plugged in until I saw the blue light.