Best Zigbee Motion Sensors?

I've had nothing but headaches with Xiaomi devices. Finally threw away the last of them last week.

Everyones mesh and setup is different though.

I'm a fan of the Iris sensors. They're stable, report temp and humidity, and take a CR123a battery that lasts forever.

I've bought a bunch from this seller.

3 Likes

Great feedback guys thanks. I am going to look at the Hue and Iris sensors for places where I woul d like a multisensor in place, and will use the Sonoff for the spots that a low cost simple solution is just fine. :+1:

Wait, the thread title is “Best Zigbee Motion Sensors”. While the ones you’ve listed here are indeed Zigbee motion sensors, the title of “Best” goes to the NYCE Zigbee motion sensors. :joy:

2 Likes

I don't think they are the best based on these reviews! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.amazon.com/NYCE-NCZ-3041-HA-ZigBee-Motion-Sensor/dp/B00W4C8JAK

As always, take reviews with a grain of salt. There are 11 reviews. These sensors work well with Hubitat, in spite of the 2 reviews saying they don't. They're discrete. And they have a nice ceiling one. The only downside is that they are expensive.

1 Like

Mike still have several Zigbee motion sensors available here for $5 (ST/PEQ Centralite) or $7 (ST) each. They may not be best, but they are very good. IMHO for the price, that makes them better than best.

(*) e.g,. my biggest complaint with the ST motion sensor is the use of a CR2450 battery

:joy: Amazon reviews can be trusted about as much as Ted Cruz can.

4 Likes

Politics? Perhaps a Biden reference is in order.

2 Likes

Keep politics out of here guys. Let's keep this on topic. :wink:

3 Likes

I like them too. It reports temperature as well, which is useful. I like that you can set them on a shelf.

1 Like

No politics. Just pointing out you don't have to be a proctologist to spot the obvious.

1 Like

Big fan of the Philips Hue indoor and outdoor Zigbee motion sensors. Pair beautifully directly to HE and report motion events quick for light automations. Indoor I use them in all the major walk-in closets, laundry room, and kitchen pantry to automate lights when walking into those areas. Outdoor I use them for automating security lights at night and also for outdoor temp sensors.

The hue motion sensors are great. Being a little pricey I just have one in all my major zones, then I supplement them with a bunch of Sonoff SNZB-03 as secondary sensors so I dont have dead spots. They too have been working great. A little smaller than the hues and only does motion but are like quarter of the price of hues.

For the record Home Depot has a two pack of the Hue motions sensor at a much lower price than you can get them on Amazon.

Costco has the best deal I've seen on two-packs of both the indoor and outdoor models.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=hue+motion+sensor

2 Likes

Great information. To be sure, do I need a Phillips Bridge with these or will they connect directly with Hubitat?

You win! That is even better than the Home Depot price. Wish I saw that before I ordered! I guess if I really like them, I can order more from Costco. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found the same. What I did was play with the placement of the sensor, both location on the house but also height, until I found that sweet spot where on low it would only trigger when people approached the entry to my front door.

1 Like

I have four Hue indoor motion sensors, and two Hue outdoor motion sensors all directly paired via Zigbee to the HE C-7 hub. Zero issues, rock solid, great performance.

Now with that said, I did purchase a Philips Hue Hub (Gen2.1). Why? Because the motion sensors support firmware upgrade and Hue has made some changes that supposedly improve performance. So I bought a hub (used cheap off eBay) to upgrade all the sensors which is only way you can upgrade them. But that was just for the upgrade task, Hue hub is powered off and in the drawer now.

Me too, only I upgraded one and couldn't tell the difference, so I bagged it on the others.