Best Water Shutoff (Z-Wave)?

In your opinion, what is the best water shutoff device?

I'm asking since we are building a vacation home and I will be adding one. At our current home, we have the Leaksmart Water Shutoff and it's been dynamite - literally ZERO issues, works like a charm.

But, since we'll be building a new system from the roundup, are there better water shutoffs I should look at?

I use the Dome valve shutoff. It's been great but it's one of those that clamps onto the existing valve handle and manipulates it with an actuator arm. I think if I was to do it from scratch I would use an in-line valve, but I have no data to back up that recommendation.

Been using a dome here for a while now and it's been flawless.

I had a Dome (or something like one). Worked well until the ball valve became stiff. Replaced it with a Leaksmart inline valve, and it has worked well for 7-8 years.

I’d get the Sinopé. It’s zigbee, like your LeakSmart. The build quality is excellent, and it has a flow meter.

2 Likes

Funny you should bring this up. I'm looking at the Zooz ZAC36 due to where it has to go. I'm in a condo and my water cutoff is inside a little door in the guest bathroom. I cannot turn off the water and put anything inline so it has to manipulate the existing ball valve. Anyone using that with good results?

Haven’t, but seems to have a lot of torque. Which is excellent.

Also, you know you can put an inline valve in pretty easily. In the old days, plumbers would use liquid N2 to create a freeze block, and maintain the block with dry ice. And then cut the pipe etc. etc.

These days, they’ll just use something like a cold-shot. Very clean - no mess.

I'm on the 5th of 10 floors. Not going to take any chance of flooding those below me as I'd be responsible! :smiley:

1 Like

I think I'd consider two shutoff valves in series!

I was on the 42nd of 48 floors when I saw this done. It was to run a cold line to the kitchen in the apartment I was renting.

So it wasn’t my liability :grin:

But, FWIW, I’ve since learned that plumbers routinely do this on as big as 4” pipes when the supply can’t be shut. Pretty wild!

1 Like

Color me chicken yellow.

2 Likes

I have the Zooz Titan and have had zero issues. Of course, it's not a device that necessarily gets used daily either.

1 Like

I think that’s the prudent approach!

There are a few options for you the Dome being one. The Zooz being another. Also look into the Bulldog. And if your ball valve moves with ease, then there are a number of inexpensive choices on AliExpress like this one:

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256804523229471.html

It moves with ease until I have a leak and then my buddy Murphy will be sure it needs the force of an elephant to move it.

3 Likes

I have 2 of the Dome shut offs. They work fantastic & are very reliable.
I also like them because I can change the shutoff valve whenever I want/need but with leaksmart or other integrated valves, you'll require a very expensive part. I do have a leaksmart but only connected it to monitor it. It stayed connected for a year without issue, but don't even know IF you can get replacement valves. FYI the only listing on Amazon for leaksmart is $450.00 !

Yo-Link has a shutoff for 300, and someone has built a yo-link -> HE integration

And then it will break and leak all over the place.

Zooz ZAC36 in the basement here and it seems to work good. Has a strong antenna, some devices route through it from the main floor, it is directly below the hub. It has a temp sensor and a leak sensor included. I have the leak sensor up against my DHW since it is right next to the shut off.

2 Likes

You can. And Waxman’s support is fantastic.

https://shopleaksmart.com/collections/leak-detector-products

When they installed my new meter, they installed 2 valves. One before and one after the meter..... Easy to work on... (Also lucky they used a 1" meter)

1 Like

Because I have an inline valve, I added a ball valve right after it, in case the inline valve failed in the open position. I also added a loop around the inline valve with a ball valve, which is usually shut. This ball valve can be opened to restore water off if the inline valve fails in the closed position.

I think this setup is essential for any automated inline valve. And, is a non-issue for valve controllers like the Dome.

1 Like