Best Thermostat Option

https://shop.luxproducts.com/collections/frontpage/products/konoz?variant=19867033141321

2 Likes

The site @ogiewon provided above is where I ordered mine.

Looks like there's currently an issue with the Lux site.

According to the Lux site, their thermostats are available at Home Depot. I know I have seen them in my local HD.

Not the KONOz. The KONOz is the Zigbee version that works with HE.

1 Like

I just had a look and it is only the WiFi version at HD.

1 Like

I got mine through the Lux website. Customer service is great. They initially shipped the wrong color but customer service quickly sent me the correct plate. I'll add that you're going to need the KonoZ model and not the Kono model. The Kono model is WiFi only and must be controlled through their app. Also, I don't believe any stores stock the KonoZ model, I've only seen them stock the Kono model. Furthermore, the thermostat is great. I've yet to experience any performance issues. Good Luck!

1 Like

I ordered through the link above. Did have issues with my order. Looks like the person handling web orders went awl. But it did finally sort out. Iā€™ve been happy with the konoz. Works better than my legacy product and seams to keep the room temp more consistent. Love that you can set the swing temp delta on when it runs on and off.

Bought 2 KONOz thermostats with my new HVAC systems and they work great with Hubitat Elevation. Been working perfectly for about 2 months using the Thermostat Scheduler App and built-in device driver.

1 Like

Wondering how the batteries hold up. Does the thermostat work with a C wire for power and the batteries for backup? I have a Gocontrol z wave thermostat and battery life was dismal. Batteries would only last 2 weeks. I ended up using the fan wire to make a C wire to power it.

As specified in the manual, batteries are not needed if using a C wire. That being said, I don't have a C wire and only use batteries. My 2 KONOz t-stats have been installed since January and are at a battery level of 95.

2 Likes

I'm on a simple single zone thermostat setup with a combi boiler and wondered if anyone had forgone with a thermostat entirely and used a smart switch such as the fibaro 213 to control the boiler? I've got devices that detect temperature throughout the house so I believe using rule machine I could actually create something smarter than an off the shelf thermostat.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good / bad idea?

My personal 2 cents...I would tend to lean toward it being a bad idea. Just get a purpose-built thermostat for your heating and cooling system and call it a day.

Not sure how the insurance company would feel about a claim for burst water pipes in your home after a home-made thermostat failed and allowed all of the pipes to freeze solid... :thinking:

To me, thermostat is a 'mission critical' piece of hardware in my home. Commercial, off-the-shelf thermostats are engineered to work very reliably. Hubitat is a great home automation platform, but I would not trust it to run something that requires extreme reliability. Hubitat firmware/platform updates have previously introduced new bugs that cause existing automations to fail. While these bugs are quickly fixed, the damage to your home might already be done.

3 Likes

Almost every boiler I've come across nowadays comes with frost protection. If the boiler detects <5c water it heats it up to 10c then turns off again.

So, that protects the boiler plumbing...which is great... But what about the cold and hot water lines to the Kitchen and Bathrooms? If the boiler gets down to 5C, odds are other parts of the home may be much colder than that which could result in frozen water supply lines, correct?

I have never had a home with a boiler... I have always lived in homes with forced hot/cool air ventilation. Either Gas Heat/Electric Air Conditioning (up North in the USA) or an Electric HeatPump (down South in the USA.) If my thermostat doesn't turn on my heat reliably and consistently, we will have frozen water lines in the house during the winter months. Once they thaw, we will have massive water damaged throughout the home. This is why I personally believe a DIY thermostat is a bad idea.

3 Likes

This happened in the first condo that I owned (in Wisconsin). The batteries in the thermostat failed, and I was gone for a week over Christmas/New Year. Since then, I have always wired a mechanical thermostat in parallel at the air-handler. Freezing is not much of an issue where I now live; however, I run the risk of mold growth if the house sits at >85F for an extended period.

1 Like

I understand what you're saying and I think our climates are very different! But point taken.

Sorry to start this up again but does this KONOz support a humidifier? If not what is the best thermostat that does? I have an ecobee for someone reason the thing keeps changing the temp on me.

Sounds like you have the new dumb eco+ turned on. Make sure you totally disable it so ecobee does not decide what temperature you want.

https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035246672-eco-Frequently-Asked-Questions

This shows how to disable it using the app - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1U-QUMYYyI

That is disabled