Best Thermostat Option

My two Ecobee 3 Lite thermostats have been rock solid for over a year now. They have never randomly changed the temperature setpoint. I do have them integrated with Hubitat via the built-in integration, however Hubitat never sends any commands to them. I let the Ecobee built-in scheduling handle everything as that works well for our needs.

I am curious if you have any hypotheses as to what might be changing your Ecobee temperature setpoints?

I have 4 ecobee (3 3s and 1 3 lite). Setpoints never randomly change on mine, except by eco+ (which I do have turned on) and schedules.

1 Like

I have 8 Ecobee's (2 4s, 4 3s and 2 3 lite's) at 2 properties and have only seen the setpoint change when eco+ was turned on. Since disabling eco+ they have all followed the schedule set on them exactly.

I do know that there is the option to use the A/C to dehumidify using overcool and that you have the ability to set that and choose how much it should overcool by. So if you have your setpoint at 72 with a 1 degree overcool, if your humidity was higher than the threshold you set, then it would continue cooling until the humidity reached that threshold or you reach 71 degrees.

That's about all I know, but I have found Ecobee support very helpful in tracking problems down. Maybe shoot them a email and see if they can pinpoint it for you. Like the HE staff they have a lot more data to look at than we do.

1 Like

I have had my ecobee 3 for years with smartthings but recently I changed to hubitat and I was using the built in API and it would drop the temperature during the day on me to 65 instead of staying at 69. But at night it was solid. So I changed to a 3rd party API and now during the day it is rock solid and at night it moves up to 65 from the set point of 62.

Long-Term update: KONOz Thermostat runs great and never misses a beat. It takes instructions via Google Home consistently as well. Honestly, it is one of the most reliable devices that I have. Kudos to KONOz!

3 Likes

A newby question - my HVAC is a heat-pump with auxiliary heat, it automatically switches to aux when the heat pump is not enough. Is that the same as 2-stage heat, or does 2-stage refer to the heat pump stages only? Right now I have a 10 year old dumb Honeywell 6000 thermostat (TD6220D) which is rated as "up to 2 heat/1 cool heat pump" that I need to replace.

Will any of the thermostats recommended in this thread (Konoz, Ecobee, GoControl etc) work with my system?

Honeywell t6 should do it, I have three zwave version

1 Like

A single-stage air conditioner’s compressor only works at one level of operation, cooling your home at full blast. A two-stage air conditioner’s compressor works at two levels of operation and is more efficient. Aux heat has nothing to do with 2-stage

3 Likes

All of them will. As @tgrant48 indicated, you have a single-stage heat pump with AUX heat.

I have an Ecobee and have been very pleased. Same setup as yours

2 Likes

Same here. Same Heat Pump setup as well. I like fact that the Ecobee thermostats have built-in HomeKit support as well. Nice to have options!

2 Likes

Which Ecobee model do you guys have? Is that z-wave, and how is the battery life? Will it last for 6 month? Is the connection to the hub stable?

Thanks - How's the battery life on that one, and is the hub connection stable?
EDIT: Ignore this question please, I was just educated that it can use the 24V wire instead of the battery.

Never ran it on battery. I have yet to see it drop.

1 Like

You should get a thermostat that is powered by the 24VAC transformer in the air-handler/furnace. Like the Honeywell recommended by @napalmcsr, or the ecobee.

Then get a mechanical thermostat installed in parallel at the furnace, so even if your smart thermostat fails, the mechanical backup will prevent a freeze.

2 Likes

My bad, I did not realize how it works. I knew my dumb Honeywell thermostat had batteries, but I did not realize they must be for backup purposes only... I just took them out and it still works. Never mind then, my battery question is moot.

1 Like

Still recommend a pure mechanical thermostat installed at the furnace as a failsafe backup.

3 Likes

Ecobee 3 Lite is what I use. They do not use any batteries as they are powered via the HVAC 24VAC power supply. They are WiFi connected devices. The connection to Hubitat is via a cloud connection.

1 Like

Help me understand this point, does Ecobee come with its own cloud and app (for free I assume), and how do you connect it to Hubitat, is it via IFTTT or something else?

What's the benefit here as opposed to a zwave/zigbee thermostat that you connect locally to HE? Is it because the thermostat native cloud app provides additional functionality that is not available through HE?

There's a nice suite of tools for managing Ecobee with Hubitat:

The Ecobee are also pretty smart devices on their own so they don't need as much integration if you just want the basics. They don't just turn on and off on a schedule, they can also monitor humidity to maximize comfort and do eco+ to try to save you money. You can turn the sensors into presence sensors and have them de-prioritize areas you're not using. Lots of smarts built into the device / app / service that you don't have to build yourself.

2 Likes