Best siren?

Still waiting? Lol. That stupid thing is never coming out.

Aeotec loves promoting vaporware. I like their products a lot, but hate the company / their marketing.

Capture

Capture2

So this one, Z-Wave siren for indoors • Aeotec by Aeon Labs, seems to be the one that would be top choice - if it ever comes out.

At least by the specs, it would be my 1st choice.

It's been almost 18 months since it was announced though.... Still not out.

Recently saw a post on reddit from somebody that got notification from Aeotec that the new devices will be available in the US by the end of April.

We shall see.

1 Like

We'll be restocking the siren shortly with improved hardware that will address any power issues reported in the first production run. Anyone that's experienced battery-related problems, can get in touch with our support to request a replacement.

6 Likes

Old thread new user. I'm in the market for a siren / chime and I like the backup battery if it's on it. If read it right people are the most satisfied with either the aeotec siren 6 or the heiman. But what are the differences between those two? Can anybody tell me that?

I've never heard of the heiman before, but it appears to be a simple on/off siren/strobe.

The Aeotec Siren 6 comes with 30 sounds, 6 light effects, and the siren/strobe can be used independently. In additional to a siren it's also a chime that can play the 30 sounds once, multiple times, and can even limit them to a specific number of seconds.

I have 10 different z-wave sirens and the Aeotec Siren 6 is the most reliable and has the most features.

If you think you might want to add a panic button at some point you should get the Aeotec Doorbell 6 instead of the Siren 6 because it's the same device and it comes with the button so you won't have to purchase the add-on button separately.

3 Likes

Thank you. I just ordered the aeotec siren 6.

Does anyone know exactly how long the power adapter is on the Aeotec Siren 6? I asked on Amazon and got a super vague "at least 2 feet" answer.

58" or 148 cm (I just measured for you). But if you need longer (like I did) this extension works perfectly. The size of the plug is 1.35x3.5 mm.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ryan780, That's much longer than 2 feet! I have an outlet above my kitchen pantry, so I'm trying to figure out if I can mount it on the ceiling. Don't think I'll need that long of an extension, but that could come in handy for other things.

Can the Doorbell 6 be set up to only be a button? Wouldn't want to startle the button pusher any more than will already be the case with the other Siren 6s blaring away.

The Doobell 6 is functionally the same device as the Siren 6, it just comes with the button and all that the button does is send a signal to the device it's been paired with.

The child button device Hubitat creates has the same sound/LED options as the Siren 6's child Chime device so you can specify the chime/led options for when the doorbell button is pushed.

Technically you could just buy the button and pair it with the Siren 6, but since child devices are locked down in Hubitat I'm not sure if changing your existing Siren's driver to the Doorbell 6 will work.

Can the button and siren/chime be operated independently? I have the Siren 6 already and need two more. One of those could be a Doorbell 6 which might allow me to have 3 chimes and one button. The three chimes would normally be triggered by my EufyCam's motion sensing. However, would like to also activate those three Siren 6s in siren mode if the (panic) button is pressed. All of this hopefully under control of HE with no direct pairing between the button and the chime/siren.

There are some very bad reviews on Amazon on this siren.. is it ready for prime time? Users are reporting spontaneous tripping during normal usage and the tamper alarm that makes it sound when you are configuring it.

The Doorbell 6 appears as a chime in Hubitat and it has settings for volume, sound #, etc. You can also use Rule machine to make the device play different sound #s based on different triggers (door/motion/etc) and/or change the chime volume.

A child siren device gets created that has its own configuration so you can specify the sound #, volume, duration for when it gets activated. You can use this device to activate the siren/strobe in Rule Machine and/or the built-in HSM app.

The Doorbell 6 can have 3 buttons paired to it. A child button device gets created for each button that's paired and each child button device has its own configuration settings for volume, sound #, duration, etc. that gets activated when they're physically pushed. You can also activate the child buttons sound within Rule Machine.

If you had 2 buttons you could configure one to play a chime sound at a low volume and the other to play a siren sound at a high volume. The buttons communicate directly with the base unit so they'll activate the sound even if the hub is completely dead.

Everything mentioned above can be done with one Aeotec Doorbell 6.

Vibration activates the tamper alarm and the default setting makes it turn the siren on for about 5 seconds, but Hubitat disables that feature during inclusion.

Some platforms have only implemented the bare minimum functionality because it's a complex device so that probably explains some of the other bad reviews.

2 Likes

Thank you. If I had one button and two sirens can the button activate all three sirens?

You can pair the button with one of the sirens, but that requires changing the Siren 6's driver to the Doorbell 6 and I'm not sure if that will work with the built-in drivers.

If it does work or you end up getting a Doorbell 6 then you can make it trigger all 3, but only 1 would trigger without the hub. You'd need to use a rule in Hubitat that activates the other 2 when the child button device reports that the button was pushed.

The other option is to pair a regular z-wave/zigbee button to Hubitat instead of using a Doorbell 6 button paired to one of the siren's and use a rule to make that button trigger all 3 sirens.

Sent my aeotec siren 6 back, was dead on arrival

So what is the consensus about sirens?Reading this thread i got some names but then read bad things about some. Another one that took forever to be available and now that is out (Aeotec) reading about poor manufacturing or QC issues.

I'm not looking for nothing fancy but i only want 3 things

1. Not to rely on batteries as main power, only as a backup
  2. Electric
  3. Strobe

Recommendations?