Best siren?

I have the new Zooz Siren and its pretty awesome. I was a bit disappointed that i couldn't power it by the Micro USB port, but i guess you win some, you lose some.

I was disappointed about that and I don't like that it takes 4 C batteries.

It's cool that it reports humidity/temp and has an easy way to add and manage the sound files, but I wish you could programmatically change the volume and strobe.

Have you had any issues with Hubitat and the sounds playing multiple times?

Also picked up the Zooz S2 Multisiren last week. Yeah, wish it allowed for volume change, but I don't mind the C-cell batteries as they're easy to fine. Wish there was also a wall-socket-powered version of this, LOL.

As for sounds playing multiple times, I haven't run into this. In fact, I can click on the Play button (in the device page) fairly rapidly and it seems to be able to queue the play list, for the most part ... unlike the Aeotec Doorbell where it will stutter and stammer through the playing of the sound file.

1 Like

This is what is driving me nuts with my Dome Siren. I like the thing but I can't solve this damn issue.

I have a back door that when opened will trigger a chime. There is a zwave motion sensor and light right next to the door as well so I'm guessing that those 3 things are causing the multiple chimes.

I'm in the market for a new one. I was going to grab the zooz but now seeing some of the restrictions you mentioned I will probably not bother.

Now I'll wait on the Aeotec Siren 6. It better be good. :slight_smile:

Don't get me wrong, it's a good device and it's supposed to be capable of changing the volume of the sounds so it will hopefully be fixed in a future firmware update.

@elf also brings up a good point about C batteries being inexpensive and the battery life seems to be pretty good so far.

If you Google Aeotec Doorbell 6 Engineering Specs you'll be able to find a PDF that has the full specifications of the device. It's the same device as the Aeotec Siren 6 except the doorbell comes with a button.

I just want something with a siren and a chime. Volume configuration is important as if the chime is too loud the wife will unplug it. Batteries are not a big deal. However being able to add your own chime looked interesting. I had a sound I really liked to use.

Checking it out now. At least that will give me an idea of what’s coming. Thanks.

There are 3 volume levels for the Zooz Multisiren's chime. You just have to plug the siren into a computer and open the chime management application in order to change the volume.

My Neocam Siren/strobe occasionally chimes the same sound. Usually after about 8-10 normal correct plays.
E.g I have it triggering off a contact sensor on my front door. The Hub log only ever shows one trigger but once or twice out of 10, it’ll chime 5-6 times.
Bizarre.

It is powered off the micro USB battery but it also does it when on battery.

After looking at the engineering specs you recommended. The Aeotec looks like it’s worth waiting for. Has everything I wanted. Just not a release date. I can wait.

Yup. That’s pretty much it. I’ve looked through the driver and added all sorts of logging. The driver only gets one command to chime but it does it multiple times.

It does seem to only happen on one of my doors. And this door has multiple things trigger at once when opened. But I can’t reduce it anymore so just going to move on.

Mine is only triggered by the single contact sensor and NOTHING else.

Yep. :slight_smile:

I've watched the Dome/Zooz version with a z-wave sniffer and the hub usually ends up sending the command multiple times because the device takes too long to respond. The heavier the z-wave traffic at the time, the worse the problem is.

In theory that shouldn't be a problem because the device should only execute the commands it acknowledges, but due to either a timing issue or an issue with the device it occasionally executes more than one of the commands.

SmartThings has the same problem and based on the complaints I've seen it tends to happen more often with the Neo version then the Dome/Zooz version. The Neo device isn't identical to the Dome/Zooz siren so there might be other ways to improve the reliability. I have a few ideas which I'll be testing when I write the official ST handler for it within the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Hmm, that's very interesting and I'll keep an eye on this thread re your ST Handler. Thx

Just received today the Heiman siren, is there a generic Zigbee Siren driver or I need to write it by my own?

Sold out :frowning:

I just switched from Iris, which supported the Utilitech Zwave Siren....however, it wasn't zwave plus and it was the only non plus zwave device on my network so I decided to switch it out.

Tried the zooz s2 siren...looked great, elegant, thought 4 'C' Batteries would make it last....but it ran out of power in a single day...switched batteries, but seemed to disconnect from zwave network, factory reset it and it wouldn't pair, plus volume was quite low.....sent it back.

Got Aeotec Gen5 Siren....awesome that it is plugin, much louder, paired ok…..driver has much fewer options than zooz, but no real issues other than lack of chime sounds? Some amazon reviewers stated that the internal lithium ion battery develops problems after 1-2yrs...

Yeah, that thing goes through new batteries every two-three months for me ... not very impressed :-1:

I did like that the siren was loud, though ...

Wire it up to a 6v power supply and connect that to your UPS. Then you’ve no worry about dead batteries. :+1:t2:

1 Like

It's not the driver, it's the device that doesn't support any type of chime functionality...

1 Like

Former IRIS newbie here looking for my first siren. Read posts and wondered what the best adjustable volume siren/or strobe that isn't hard to pair with hub. Not a techie but willing to follow instructions. Seems like Zooz s2 siren eats batteries, Aeotec Gen5 Siren lacks chime sounds, Neocam Siren/strobe occasionally chimes & Heiman siren is in search of driver... Any suggestions appreciated.