Best siren?

There are 3 volume levels for the Zooz Multisiren's chime. You just have to plug the siren into a computer and open the chime management application in order to change the volume.

My Neocam Siren/strobe occasionally chimes the same sound. Usually after about 8-10 normal correct plays.
E.g I have it triggering off a contact sensor on my front door. The Hub log only ever shows one trigger but once or twice out of 10, it’ll chime 5-6 times.
Bizarre.

It is powered off the micro USB battery but it also does it when on battery.

After looking at the engineering specs you recommended. The Aeotec looks like it’s worth waiting for. Has everything I wanted. Just not a release date. I can wait.

Yup. That’s pretty much it. I’ve looked through the driver and added all sorts of logging. The driver only gets one command to chime but it does it multiple times.

It does seem to only happen on one of my doors. And this door has multiple things trigger at once when opened. But I can’t reduce it anymore so just going to move on.

Mine is only triggered by the single contact sensor and NOTHING else.

Yep. :slight_smile:

I've watched the Dome/Zooz version with a z-wave sniffer and the hub usually ends up sending the command multiple times because the device takes too long to respond. The heavier the z-wave traffic at the time, the worse the problem is.

In theory that shouldn't be a problem because the device should only execute the commands it acknowledges, but due to either a timing issue or an issue with the device it occasionally executes more than one of the commands.

SmartThings has the same problem and based on the complaints I've seen it tends to happen more often with the Neo version then the Dome/Zooz version. The Neo device isn't identical to the Dome/Zooz siren so there might be other ways to improve the reliability. I have a few ideas which I'll be testing when I write the official ST handler for it within the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Hmm, that's very interesting and I'll keep an eye on this thread re your ST Handler. Thx

Just received today the Heiman siren, is there a generic Zigbee Siren driver or I need to write it by my own?

Sold out :frowning:

I just switched from Iris, which supported the Utilitech Zwave Siren....however, it wasn't zwave plus and it was the only non plus zwave device on my network so I decided to switch it out.

Tried the zooz s2 siren...looked great, elegant, thought 4 'C' Batteries would make it last....but it ran out of power in a single day...switched batteries, but seemed to disconnect from zwave network, factory reset it and it wouldn't pair, plus volume was quite low.....sent it back.

Got Aeotec Gen5 Siren....awesome that it is plugin, much louder, paired ok…..driver has much fewer options than zooz, but no real issues other than lack of chime sounds? Some amazon reviewers stated that the internal lithium ion battery develops problems after 1-2yrs...

Yeah, that thing goes through new batteries every two-three months for me ... not very impressed :-1:

I did like that the siren was loud, though ...

Wire it up to a 6v power supply and connect that to your UPS. Then you’ve no worry about dead batteries. :+1:t2:

1 Like

It's not the driver, it's the device that doesn't support any type of chime functionality...

1 Like

Former IRIS newbie here looking for my first siren. Read posts and wondered what the best adjustable volume siren/or strobe that isn't hard to pair with hub. Not a techie but willing to follow instructions. Seems like Zooz s2 siren eats batteries, Aeotec Gen5 Siren lacks chime sounds, Neocam Siren/strobe occasionally chimes & Heiman siren is in search of driver... Any suggestions appreciated.

Still waiting? Lol. That stupid thing is never coming out.

Aeotec loves promoting vaporware. I like their products a lot, but hate the company / their marketing.

Capture

Capture2

So this one, Z-Wave siren for indoors • Aeotec by Aeon Labs, seems to be the one that would be top choice - if it ever comes out.

At least by the specs, it would be my 1st choice.

It's been almost 18 months since it was announced though.... Still not out.

Recently saw a post on reddit from somebody that got notification from Aeotec that the new devices will be available in the US by the end of April.

We shall see.

1 Like

We'll be restocking the siren shortly with improved hardware that will address any power issues reported in the first production run. Anyone that's experienced battery-related problems, can get in touch with our support to request a replacement.

6 Likes

Old thread new user. I'm in the market for a siren / chime and I like the backup battery if it's on it. If read it right people are the most satisfied with either the aeotec siren 6 or the heiman. But what are the differences between those two? Can anybody tell me that?