Best of both worlds - Hubitat + Z-Way

Shame, I thought I saw a post from @mike.maxwell about this working to remove or recover orphaned devices, although maybe that was for ZigBee. Perhaps creating a Virtual Device doesn't make it "owned" by the Z-Wave radio.

(you definitely used the Node ID as opposed to the HomeSeer device number?)

I used the device ID from PC Controller. Please read the UPDATE on my previous post for details.
It only works if I press the button on the device itself, If I use the GUI from HE/PC Controller, nothing happens, meaning the connected light does not go on/off. I tried with two different device types: a) Fibaro Double Switch 2 (FGS-223) and b) Honeywell dimmer (ZW3005). I converted the device number from decimal (shown in Homeseer and PC Controller) to hexadecimal (needed by HE).

Once its added would you not have to change the driver away from a vital to a proper one?

It was added with the correct device type.

I thought it should work .....

I expect the control issues may well be that the device needs configuring from HE (if you haven't done that already).

Also bear in mind that if your devices were Included SECURELY under HomeSeer then they probably won't work under HE using this method because HE doesn't know the network keys ...

Currently I do not have security lock in my z-wave network. Therefore, all devices were included without security.

Any ideas on how to do that? I'm so near, that I can't shake the feeling it seems I'm missing something obvious...

Go into the device from the devices list and hit the "Configure" button ....

You should also enable debug logging (if there's an option for the device) and open the logs page to give you an idea of what's happening.

I tried the configure Button to no avail. Debug Loggin is enabled, but it doesn't show anything...

On the last screen capture above, I find it weird the DeviceID and DeviceType still looks virtual and no "Clusters" appear. Device number 6 and device number 2 are exactly the same (Fibaro FGS-223). Number 2 was included using HE interface to add a z-wave device. Number 6 was originally added as a virtual device, with the correct type o driver (Fibaro Switch) and had it's Node ID changed manually from the GUID to the node number shown in PC controller. It looks like HE stubbornly resists "interviewing" the device.

Well we're in uncharted territory really so who knows :slight_smile:

What you could try, is to put HE into "Discover Z-Wave Devices" mode and then triple click the B-Button on that Fibaro device, it might populate the remaining data - it works like this on other Z-Wave Controllers if the Inclusion process doesn't complete.

Uncharted indeed!

Thanks @martyn, for your continued help. I tried the triple click thing (without first reseting the Fibaro FGS-223 to factory defaults) but it did not work. I was hopeful it would work and HE would "think" hey, here is a device I already know, let's give it the same node ID... but it failed...

I understand that if I factory reset it, it will essentially be me having to re-add all already existing devices and I'm trying my best not to go that way, as I still have HS3 working and do not want to loose this ability, hence the use of the backup/restore procedure in the first place.

Well it wouldn't Include it again as it's already Included, so it's more what happens after the home id / node id part of the Inclusion process, it's when the controller queries the device Command Classes. In some controllers you can do that part separately (Z-Way calls it an "interview", HomeSeer calls it a "rescan"), or in other controllers you can Include a device that's already Included and it will re-query that data.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will work with HE :frowning:

Yes, I did some extra testing and it doesn't look like it will work, for now...

For one, HE doesn't seem to have a way of importing and re-scaning the z-wave network for devices already stored in the USB controller.

Secondly, it also lacks a function to start the z-wave interface in "receive" mode, two capabilities that both HS3/HS4 and Vera have supported for a long time.

Obviously, nothing prevents the developers from adding such capabilities, as the z-wave specification allows those actions.

On the other hand, it looks they are about to launch a new service, allowing complete migration from a previous hub. Fingers Crossed!

Spoke to soon. The new service won't support C-4 to C-7 migration because the Nortek USB stick supposedly do not support something needed. :rage:

Are there plans to enhance secondary controller support in HE?

I find the Z-Wave tools extremely limited in HE, to the point I cannot properly diagnose problems. Having a secondary controller with advanced diagnostics tools appears necessary.

When can we expect support for secondary controllers to include pushing security keys to these controllers?

Alternatively, can I use HE as a secondary controller in another Z-Wave network that allows for things like preferred routes?

Does not seem like a thing that will happen anytime soon but I dunno. Also what other stuff are you looking for that you can't do with the existing implementation?

I would like to be able to set route priorities from within HE.

Clarification: I mean existing secondary controller implementation NOT the standard HE Z-Wave interface.

Without the security keys on my secondary controller, for all devices included through HE with security:

No control
No status
zniffer cannot read encrypted payloads
Cannot interrogate/interview a device to learn its capabilities
Cannot use the secondary as a portable to include secure devices in a distant area of my mesh

So the inclusion part I get - but if I have a UZB-7 paired with S2 security as a secondary controller (which I currently do) are you saying I won't be able to get the status of an S2 device or be able to send commands like a NOP (for example only!) to it?

Also I thought that using a "zniffer" was a different function - you need a device with updated firmware for that purpose. I have a UZB-3 which I've used for that in the past - I can see why that might not work with encrypted frames but am not really sure what gets encrypted (everything?, data?, routing info?).

Note: Due to the ongoing Z-Wave issues with some devices I've paired everything with no security except for a repeater or two. My lock is Zigbee.

Edit: I seem to be able to "Get Node Info" on my Aeotec Repeater 7 which is paired with S2 security... mmmm I'm a little confused and my understanding of this is not especially deep so apologies if asking obvious questions..