Best motion sensor on battery?

Yup. Have two of them. They're as fast as my zigbee sensors.

2 Likes

glad to hear it ! I might get one and test it out......

Any suggestions on the zigbee front sensor wise ?

I'd go with @bertabcd1234's suggestion above.

ahhhhhhhh got yah, didn't realize they where zigbee devices.

thanks for the feedback everyone

I just ordered two of the Fibaro Sensors

You can get a Lot of 10 of the Iris v2 3326-L Motion Sensors (new) for $50 plus ~$18 in shipping from the following site. Add a Lot of 10 Iris v2 3320-L Contact Sensors for another $50 and the shipping cost barely changes. So, for about $120, you get 20 Iris v2 Zigbee sensors, or $6 per sensor. Hard to beat that. Get then while they last!

4 Likes

thanks ! I will check it out

The Iris 3310-L2 Zigbee outlets make very good Zigbee repeaters for these sensors. I have a bunch of the Iris 3310-L outlets around my house, supported a strong zigbee mesh for my Iris Motion, Contact, and Leak sensors, as well as some Sengled RGBW bulbs. This combination has been very solid and the performance is blazing fast. Take a half step into any of our bathrooms and the lights are on. Step into the shower and that light turns on, as well as the exhaust fan. For me, Iris Zigbee sensors plus Lutron lighting "just works", every time. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A question for the Fibaro Sensor owners.. I watched the video and it shows the eye flashing when motion is detected. Is there a option to turn off the flashing 100%?

Yes.

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Surprised no one has mentioned SmartThing. I have two different generation Samsung branded motion sensors and they work really well! Nearly instant reaction time, and batteries arent an issue.

The newer generation is really nice in that it has a magnetic ball that it clings to, so you can rotate however you want, or simply pull it off.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like

I think @bertabcd1234 summed it up pretty well too:

:wink:

1 Like

oops, i missed that one!

The one I find missing is the most recent version of the Aqara motion sensor.

It does include luminance measurement but in a bizarre scale, although perfectly usable.

In my case they are absolutely reliable, and incredibly compact.

Still prefer Aeotec Trisensors (definitively not Six sensors), but Aqaras are more discreet.

I alluded to the Xiaomi sensors in my reply, but they are problematic for many people due to being non-standard and requiring careful planning of your Zigbee repeaters for that reason. There's an entire thread about this: Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected (tl;dr, stick to the repeaters mentioned in the first post there).

The new, Zigbee 3.0 devices might address this. However, the Amazon model number for that listing is not the new model number (and it says it's been listed since 2018). So, until we're sure both that the new models are available (I haven't seen anyone mention them anywhere yet, at least not the motion sensor) and that they indeed address previous Zigbee profile issues with these devices, I'd stay away. This isn't to say they don't work well--they do for many people, and I myself used them for a while without many problems. I liked their small size and quick response. I just had to be careful about what Zigbee repeaters I had, a problem I eventually got tired of needing to care about. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I've had Homeseer, Smartthings and Hue Outdoor motion detectors. Hands down- the Hue Outdoor is a lot better in terms of sensitivity adjustment, speed and battery life. They cost a little more but in my opinion, are well worth it. Costco offers a 2-pack for $80 while most places charge $50 for a single. The indoor is cheaper but I haven't yet tried any.

@bcopeland thought you enjoy this thread

1 Like

Battery eaters

6 Likes