Best motion and contact sensor

Hello, trying to automate and thinking about purchasing the Hubitat. I need both motion and contact sensors.

1. What are the best "invisible" contact sensors for this system?

2. What is the best motion sensor to buy?

Here is "invisible" door sensor.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15268

It is hard to imagine what "best" would be for any device. If you are new to home automation, be prepared to make a few 180 degree turns and discard devices that just don't work in your scenario. What might be a highly recommended device for some, just totally fails in other situations.
If you already have some controllable devices, make sure they work with Hubitat. Without supported devices, motion or contact sensors won't be useful. Go through the supported devices list and do some research on some of the motion and contact sensors. If you already have devices, make sure they are on the list as well.
Before you make a huge investment in any particular motion or contact sensor, I would get a test device, to make sure they work in your environment before adding multiples.

1 Like

As Zarthan stated, "best" is hard to define.

My personal preference for most applications is to use a Zigbee motion sensor. In general, they seem to react faster.

My two favorites (at the moment) are:

SYLVANIA General Lighting E21266 Lightify Motion Sensor Light which is made by CentraLite

and

the NYCE sensors

NYCE NCZ-3041-HA ZigBee Motion Sensor
and
NYCE NCZ-3043-HA ZigBee Ceiling Motion Sensor

Note that NYCE has two sensors with similar appearances but different beam patterns depending on your application. The NYCE NCZ-3045-HA ZigBee Curtain Motion Sensor has a very narrow (hence "curtain") beam pattern. The 3041 has a wider pattern.

The Sylvania and the NYCE illustrate pretty dramatic differences in packaging and mounting. That may end up being a key driver in your decision process.

1 Like

Your mileage may vary as one person’s best is another’s worst.

I’ve had great luck with Hue Motion sensors paired through HE (and not the Hue Bridge). I’ve got a few Zooz sensors to try out waiting for me when I get home, I can only hope they work as well.

If you can pick up any of the Iris V2 (3326-L) motion sensors, they are reliable, tiny and blazingly fast. However, they don't do LUX or Humidity.

Best deals are had via ebay. I just picked up 10 for $50. Not sure if the same seller has any left. I did have one DOA stuck in active mode which caused disco lights (demo mode) when the battery is removed/reinserted, but the seller was quick to credit me $5 for it.

I've had mixed results with the Iris 3320-L V2 door/window sensors but things got better when I ditched all my zigbee repeating bulbs for AC powered repeaters. They're pretty small and also fast.

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!

Heed the above warnings. Go slow and recognize that there will be mistakes you are not happy with. Over time you’ll learn what is right for you personally.

Consult the compatible devices doc for a list of devices that have been test. You can sort by protocol and type to make your search easier.

If you’re starting out, I would suggest sticking to Zigbee, but whichever protocol you use, mains powered repeaters are important, so don’t neglect that aspect or your overall device reliability will suffer.

For Zigbee hidden sensors, or can look at NYCE (Zigbee) and Sensitive strips (Z-Wave). If you’re handy with a chisel like I am you can also embed small sensors in a mortise with a plastic plate over the opening, then put the magnet in the door by drilling a hole in the door, and putting some calking over the hole.

1 Like

I think I thought of trying this a few times but didn't for some reason. What sensors heve you used? Anything other than Xaiomi?

I’m using Xiaomi, but originally I did this with a Insteon sensor. THAT was a very big mortise. I also have my alarm system sensors installed this way. Battery changes are kind of a pain, but it’s otherwise fine.

1 Like

Thanks. I will give it a try with the Samsung multi on an inconspicuous door. I have had the Samsung devices get knocked off occasionally. Having them embedded in the door frame would clean that up.

1 Like

Yep, that was going to be my other suggestion. Play around with the idea of embedding the magnet far off center from the sensor. Do some tests with the extracted magnet in your hand first. Play with the two poles to see if one is more sensitive than the other. I took a leap of faith, but you might try embedding the magnet in a piece of scrap wood to simulate the final door installation in your tests. The 2018 Samsung Multisensors use a hall sensor instead if a reed switch, so the sensitivity to the magnet makes for a very large activation zone.

I often replace the magnets that came with a contact sensor with a rare earth magnet and intentionally place it off center. I can often get a much more sensitive open / close where the slightest open triggers the sensor. Great for doors where the slightest deviation from closed can cause the lock to fail. So far it hasn't caused issues over several years.

1 Like

Same idea yes. I use the original magnet and play with orientation and placement relative to the sensor for the exact same reasons.

1 Like

Mind expanding on that? I’m using a Schlage that fails to auto-lock if the door wasn’t shut all the way (which happens when we aren’t careful.)

I wouldn't trust auto-lock where I live. I often take out the organics stuff late at night. In the Winter, at 20 below, you don't want to get locked out for even a few minutes, at least I don't. As for the magnets, I position them so that contact sensor only indicate closed when they are fully closed. It takes a lot of trial and error to get it right.
We don't lock our back door until the end of the day. My locking up routine won't lock the door if it is not closed and we get a voice notification that the door can't be locked because of an unlocked door.

On sale right now

Do you know the range and angle this unit can detect motion? Also, can you tell me what LUX and humidity mean? I assume humidity means change in humidity level from a person entering the room?

As for door sensors, I would prefer not to drill out the door. I found these which are much thinner, require no door modification, and last for several years:

Sensative Z-Wave Plus Ultra Thin

Anyone have experience with these sensors?

They list the detection spec up to 15' and 120*

LUX is light level. Humidity is just relative humidity level. The V2 sensors don't do either.

Zooz has a 4 in 1 Z-Wave sensor that does LUX and humidity but some folks are reporting they're slow even though Zooz says they're the fastest. I don't have first hand experience with them.
Claimed 40' range and 125*.

That one came with my kit and did a bit of research on it. Real world testing shows a much much smaller detection range around 6' and it appears to be rather slow.

There are a lot of motion sensors listed that are compatible with HE. Is there a particular brand in that list that is known for quality and are quick with a 15' range?