Best motion and contact sensor

One more thing I forgot to ask is do I need any additional equipment besides the HE and a compatible motion sensor?

For example, I had to buy a SmartBridge for my Lutron Caseta switches.

I have several Sensitive Strips sensors on Windows. They work fine. Jury is out on whether the non-replaceable battery will last for 10 years.

They are expensive. Very thin and easy to conceal.

Start out right by building a good mesh with repeaters for the protocol your devices require.
How to build a Solid Zigbee mesh
How to Build a Solid Z-Wave Mesh
Also recommend to make sure devices are on the Compatible Device List.

If there's a quicker responding motion sensor (that connects without requiring another hub or system) than the SmartThings Motion sensor, please tell me so I can buy one to try.

The Iris 3326-L is another good motion detector to consider. These are fast to respond and have a 30 second inactive window.

@billmeek The ZSE18 from Zooz is very fast also. Uses built-in driver.

1 Like

I'm not motion sensor poor (at this point), but ordered one anyway to try.

You already ordered the Zooz, but one of the fastest I’ve encountered is the Sylvania Smart+, which is basically a version of the IRIS because they are both made by Centralite. You’re fortunate that you can still get them in the US for a very low price. These are excellent sensors, so I would grab them while you can get them. Same with the iris.

Agree with you. The Sylvania seems to be just as fast as the SmartThings.

The best was the SmartThings Rev. 1 which had a USB power option and used AA batteries. Hard to find those.

1 Like

Would the Iris Motion Sensor 3326-L (v2) be just as fast as the Sylvania Smart+?

The sensor would be approximately 15' from the HE so shouldn't need a repeater.

Does anyone know which z-wave devices are now using the new Z-Wave 700 chip? These chips should increase range plus dramatically extend battery life.

I read recently that Aeotec got the Range Extender 7 and a recessed door sensor certified and Sensative was working on their strip certification. To my knowledge, no one has actually shipped anything with a 700 chip yet.

Amazing... and when that happens it will finally herald the end of the meager 8051 8-bit core that has sustained every Z-Wave device up to now (I have fond memories of integrating that thing into systems I designed literally decades ago). Even the lowliest Zigbee smart bulb uses some flavor of 32-bit ARM Cortex ; no surprise Zigbee is faster.

1 Like