Battery backup UPS feedback

Continuing the discussion from What are your battery backup strategies for Hubitat and network?:

Found this thread and I thought it would be better to start a new one but pointing out that I read a lot of what was in that old thread.

I got an APC Back-UPS 650 for free, so making use of it. I wanted one anyway, so it worked out. Sorry this is long so thanks if you read it all.

I thought I had this all planned out and now that its hooked up I might change my mind. Main goal is just to prevent everything from going down if we get a power flash for a couple of seconds which happens sometimes with bad weather. Secondary is to keep some things running longer and get a clean shutdown during an extended outage (rare).

• Cable modem is on the other side of the basement, with ethernet going to the router. Could be relocated to just below the stairs so it can feed from the UPS.
  • Router, Hubitat, two mini-PCs connected to battery power on UPS.
  • One PC is connected to the UPS via USB cable and running apcupsd, and also NUT on a VM mirroring the apcupsd info.
  • Using apcupsd and NUT to get the info to the other PC and the hub for shutdowns.
  • UPS was reporting 207 mins run time but after testing it today and letting it recharge it is showing around 127 mins now.

Questions / thoughts

• Moving cable modem to be on UPS would keep internet from dropping out for a brief outage, I know for a major outage the internet may not work anyway. Might just find a small UPS for just the modem as alternate solution.
  • If modem is moved, I would be out of outlets on the UPS. So might move the UPS to below the stairs and run a non-surge power strip up for the other devices unless that is a bad thing to do.
  • UPS is connected to non-critical PC, just runs a Plex server right now and a VM for testing things mostly. Only reason I did this was because the USB ports on the main PC are on the side so it would annoy me.
  • Debating if I should move it to the main PC anyway, which has all my extra HA software running on it and my local DNS server so I want to keep it running longer. I tested powering down the extra PC while on battery and I only got about an extra 15-20 mins of run time, so not huge.
  • OR, I think I could connect the UPS to the router and run NUT or apcupsd on there, the router will stay up until power is cut. I just didn't want to tie up last USB port on the router for that.

Thoughts or feedback?

1 Like

I like this mini-UPS by TalentCell, they make several other similar ones too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME3ZH7C/

Hah, I just came across this on Amazon. Looks interesting...I just with there was one with more 5V USB ports.