Bathroom Humidity Fan

Nice. I was actually going to ask if we could have comparison sensor setting allow multiple devices (and use average), as I have found this works better for some of my use cases.

I've run the new combined sensor code for a couple days now and everything looks like it's working well. Update 1.1.27 posted to github. I think I've coded for any weird things you could do to break the new combined virtual humidity sensor, including renaming or deleting it from the devices menu. If you unselect all the combined sensors from the parent app it will throw an error but I'm leaving it as is to show that you shouldn't do that. Just delete it if you don't want it. It's super easy to just make another later.

You might also be running a version of hub software older than 2.2.4 which would prevent it from showing up. I don't think there is any reason why it couldn't run on older versions but it's hard to troubleshoot issues on versions I'm not running which is why the 2.2.4 requirement was added to the json. If you do run into any issues let me know and I'll try to track it down.

Try running a matchup and see if hpm will pick it up and you should be able to do a repair and then it should update as usual.

Ok. That worked. I was able to match up, then update through hpm to 1.1.27. Thank you! (Hub has been at 2.2.4.158 so no idea what the deal was earlier but it’s working now).

Now if only I could manage to get this Zooz 4-in-1 sensor to pair… But that’s a separate story...

I'd toss that 4-1 in the trash.

1 Like

added my sensors and got an:

" An unexpected error has occurred trying to load the app. Check Logs for more information."

and can't get back into the app now. THis from the logs:

2021-01-18 09:22:12.032 am errorgroovy.lang.GroovyRuntimeException: Ambiguous method overloading for method java.math.BigDecimal#plus. Cannot resolve which method to invoke for [null] due to overlapping prototypes between: [class java.lang.Character] [class java.lang.String] [class java.lang.Number] [class java.math.MathContext] on line 69 (mainPage)

For $20 these sensors will join properly and work just fine. Note that I wouldn’t buy any new 500 series battery powered Z-Wave device, S0 issues or not.

There is a thread here somewhere that the 4-in-1s on a new C7 if there are more than one of them can cause issues...so look into that for sure. I've been phasing mine out one by one. I'm down to two. Just need to find a GOOD zigbee motion/illuminance sensor.

Any recommendations for a reliable humidity sensor? I don't need any other sensors bundled with it, though temperature would be kind of nice.

I should have checked the forums before ordering the Zooz ZSE40. (Gotten it to pair but it was an ordeal. Seems to be reporting the motion activity as expected but other sensors either aren't reporting or are unusably delayed—I'll dig through the forum some more there).

I just got a sonoff zigbee temp/humidity and its been great even outside in sub freezing temps.

2 Likes

Do you have a C7 version of the Hubitat hub? If so, you must use a secondary controller ($20, any will work) and PC Controller software (free) to add a ZSE40 to your Z-Wave mesh. Pairing directly to the C7 will get you only trouble as the C7's 700 series chipset will only pair with S0 security and will likely kill your mesh and drain the battery. When paired with no security the unit will work as intended.

I use the NYCE Zigbee sensors where I need humidity. They work well, look good, have long battery life, but are expensive.

link please, I'd try one

https://m.banggood.com/SONOFF-SNZB-02-ZB-Temperature-And-Humidity-Sensor-Work-with-SONOFF-ZBBridge-Real-time-Data-Check-Via-eWeli<x>nk-APP-p-1715999.html?akmClientCountry=CA&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=CA&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-ca-en-pc&currency=CAD&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1

1 Like

I prefer the Nyce ceiling sensors for bathrooms since you can cover inside the bath for motion and keep the lights on even with a fairly short timeout. Also provides temp and humidity and is Zigbee so don't have the typical zwave issues like update speed. Zigbee motion is about 4 times faster. For other areas I just needed motion and temp so the Samsung 2018 motion sensors work best for me. They're also Zigbee and I use the for triggering lights in different areas based on time of day and r situation.

Both are pretty expensive though and sometimes hard to find. Batteries in the Nyce sensors last for about 5 years on 2 triple a battrries so that's also something to consider.

1 Like

Thanks for recommendations all.

I’ll probably go with the Sonoff Zigbee. I was deciding between it and the AerQ. I’d love the dew point, mold-condition calculation, and high/low watermark features of the AerQ but the footnote on AeoTec’s site says Hubitat doesn’t support the dew-point & mold.

I’ve got about 20-25 feet of distance between the hub and the sensor location, two interior walls and a floor. This would be my first Zigbee device (so no repeaters). Should not be a problem signal-wize, I gather?

Yup. Just found your posts in the thread about C7 Hub / SO security on ZSE40 problems. I’m on a Mac. Also would rather spend on more or different sensors than a secondary hub to get the ZSE40 included without security.

Note that I wouldn’t buy any new 500 series battery powered Z-Wave device, S0 issues or not.

Now I know. I feel like Hubitat should put an asterisk next to the ZSE40 in the list of compatible devices until Zooz re-certifies it or something. I ordered it going off of that list.

Nyce’s do look great - Thanks for suggestions! I learned that don’t have much use for the motion sensor in this situation but I’ll keep a mental bookmark for a next project.

2 Likes

Looks like that has already been done...

2 Likes

Whoops. This is very likely my user error! :grimacing:

Perhaps... I think it was a fairly recent addition.

same, same...

Added an option to create a virtual switch and a switch selector to use in other rules to keep the lights on or whatever other crazy things you guys come up with. It will sync the switch state with the current operation of the fan. Add it to any motion lighting rules to disable turning off the lights when it's on. I wouldn't put the light itself in there in case your fan evacuates the humidity faster than the bath or shower. The device will automatically name itself the same as the child app. You can rename it if you like.