Ball and Socket for Iris Motion

I decided against 100% because the "how far it sticks out from the wall" dimension increases too.

1 Like

I'd love a bunch of these, but don't have a 3D printer but has a friend that does. Where can I get the code to input in a 3D Printer to print these? Thank you.

The code is at this link.

1 Like

I use a motion sensor to turn ON the lights and not to turn it off. I have a door sensor on the bathroom as well.

If motion is active and lights are off - turn on lights
If motion is inactive for 1 minute and door is OPEN - turn OFF lights

Lights only go off when there's NO motion AND the door is OPEN. Now is somebody is just standing around perfectly still in the bathroom with the door open they have other issues.

That's an appt description of my kids brushing their teeth...

3 Likes

I tweaked another person's design and made this. It turned out OK. I'm going to use it to mount some sensors in the corner of my garage doors where they are semi-protected from the elements.

Any chance you could post a pick. Pretty sure I get the tube bit. Can’t really picture how you’re mounting them though.

`

Here is an old post of Mikes on the ST community with pictures:

1 Like

I played around with this idea and found that insulated terminal spades work great. It's pretty easy to pull the connector out of the plastic and they come pretty cheap. The large end of the plastic connector just fits on the sensor. You might need a very slight bit of adhesive to hold it on if it's prone to vibrations.

6 Likes

I wonder if this would work the other way to detect a dumb dog waiting at the back door. I could mount it behind the decking steps and drill through a hole to detect. Lazy thing lays on the top step and doesn’t bark.

I just purchased a magnetic ball and "socket" from a company called bulbhead.com
They call it "FastBall" it works very well. Its easy to adjust, very strong and pretty low profile. The black strips on the silver magnetic ball are resilient material aiding to keep the top part in position.

I would prefer it to be 1/2 the height but its fine for my Iris V3 motion sensor.
Cost $10

I will be removing the 3M VHB "don't want to move it again ever" sticky and replacing it with Command strips. And I'll paint the black base white.

3 Likes

Let me know how the painting goes.

I like the 3D printed ball and socket, but over a long time the 'roughness' that increases the friction does 'self sand' away.

1 Like

Too bad it doesn't come in other sizes. This is apparently a car phone mount?

And I know this comes across as cheap or whatever but at $10 each for my motion sensors, I would go broke pretty quickly.

Here's another option, via eBay:

Iris Motion Sensor 2 way adjustable/removeable wall mount.

I don't know how long that link will work, but the seller is "asus1963". $7/ea with shipping, in black or white. I like your design better (ball & socket, vs. 2-axis range of motion from "asus1963"), but the eBay version 'clamps' onto the sensor, rather than being glued to the back.

I understand........ just thinking if you know the angles you wish to use I would go to Home Depot and purchase a 1" wood dowel. Cut one end the angel you want. A little spray paint and two command strips and you should be good to go.
If you wanted to get fancy you could cut that above in half and screw a round magnet to each face.

1 Like

I ordered some of these off Etsy, much cheaper and work well. Here's the link:

1 Like

Please give the link.

When the paint is harder I can clean up the edge but the base looks great in white. This is the same white I use to repaint Decura wall plate screws.

John

6 Likes

You're right, it looks good.

Which paint is that, exactly? (Cuz I have a bunch of Decora screws to paint.) :smiley:

The color is not what I would call "perfect" but it is as close as I've come.

Paint_02