Baldwin Soho AC Z-Wave Deadbolt

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to purchase several Baldwin Soho AC Z-Wave Deadbolt (below is the info I found on them) with integrated Z-Wave Plus cards, which are zwave certified for under $75 each.

Is it worth going this route with ZW+ vs LR?

My place is 120' long and 40' wide, so the + seems perfectly fine, but I don't want to buy several of these and, in two years, be forced to upgrade.

Here is the information that I found on this lock;
http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=8285&cert=ZC10-18096236
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3070/embedpics

What say you? I appreciate any input, advice, gripes, raves, and general chit-chat.

So Z-wave LR is probably a ways off from its final, stable form with widely available devices. You're never forced to upgrade, z-wave+ will be around for a long time and your hub & devices will continue to work. IMHO I'd go for the bargain, but first do try and find reports on the product, as there maybe a reason behind the steep discount, when many comparable deadbolts go for 150-200.
Historically z-wave locks have not been so great in performance, just search around here and also on the smarththings forum, but that's not to say maybe Baldwin has finally figured it out :grinning:

1 Like

It appears that Baldwin is using a plug-in board so they support both Zigbee or Z-Wave (this from my read of their website - no personal experience with these specific devices).

@Eric.C.Miller Yeah, I saw that. It's a module within the lock, but I've never seen a Zigbee version of it, only the Z-Wave, which is fine with me.

I've read a post here, and it seems to be good. I DM'ed the person that got it working to see where it's at for them. Here: Hubitat compatible with Baldwin? - #11 by nadime

I'm going to take the risk and get them, and I guess the worst case is I sell them on eBay at cost. The lock has a Key, so even without the smart card (z-wave module), these locks are hundreds of dollars.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone else posts on this.

1 Like

I forgot to add that the module is Z-Wave Plus, which is a great thing over the normal Z-Wave.

Just add this lock has 30 codes. It's been a year and the lock is at 50 battery with little use. The Generic Z-Wave Lock driver works but it does not know the status of the Lock. The remote lock/unlock works. It supports S2:128 encryption.