Hubitat compatible with Baldwin?

I can't find any information regarding Baldwin Evolved keyless entry locks on this forum. I spent some time yesterday trying to pair our Baldwin keyless with the Hubitat with no luck. Before I go the next step, maybe someone can tell me if the two are compatible?

From some quick Google searches, it appears that to integrate that lock with anything else, it may require the addition of a Kevo Plus device?

EDIT: It appears it is possible, using a Kevo Plus, based on these threads.

1 Like

I took a quick look on the Baldwin site. It seems they use bluetooth to communicate with your smartphone.

Hubitat does not have a bluetooth radio. Unless there are other options with the Baldwin line it will not work with Hubitat.

I would not consider this a shortcoming of Hubitat as bluetooth is by design limited range and I don't believe it has mesh technology.

As @ogiewon mentioned, they offer a cloud gateway that can be integrated into HE. That said, while it works great for me, Kevo has routinely made changes to their website that break the integration. So far I have managed to keep it working but there are no guarantees it will always work. Kevo does not provide a public API and can kill it at any time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses. We purchased the Baldwin keyless locks because they are Z-Wave compatible. So I'm just trying to find a Z wave hub that works with it. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to unlock our doors from an iPhone app. I guess Kevo Plus is my best bet. Does that mean I return the Hubitat hub?

Interesting, Z-Wave Alliance shows 4 Baldwin locks that are certified Z-Wave:

Baldwin Z-Wave Certified locks

2 Likes

Yes, we have the Baldwin Boulder touchscreen, which is Z wave compatible.

OK, if it is Z-Wave Plus, then it will need to be paired with Z-Wave Security as most locks require this. You may need to move the Hubitat hub fairly close to the lock in order for pairing to work. This is because these 'security' devices use a low power Z-Wave radio setting during pairing to prevent others from pairing to your lock without your knowledge.

I am not a Z-Wave expert, so I'll step aside and let those in the community with more Z-Wave experience step in and assist you. My locks are Zigbee based, which has been very reliable for me.

2 Likes

Okay, the product is Baldwin Boulder 10 (model 8235), which is Z Wave Plus. (I was mistaken in my initial post that it is a Baldwin Evolved product).

I am a bit confused about moving the Hubitat hub closer to the lock. I guess this would be possible with a long ethernet cable. I am of the belief that the Hubitat hub has to be plugged into our wireless router.

I'm somewhat technical savvy, but this is all very challenging.

I bought Z-Wave daughter cards on EBay and managed to configure my Baldwin Keyless locks. You can buy the locks with or without the daughter cards already built-in.

What I did:

1. Move my Hubitat pretty close to the locks (~5-6 ft). Took a long ethernet cable (and extension cord).
  2. Installed the daughter cards (drop-in installation).
  3. Launched "Discover Devices" on a web client connected to my Hubitat's internal web server. This is accessible on the mobile app as "Connect to Hub".
  4. Clicked "ZWave"
  5. Started the Z-Wave exclusion process.
  6. Pressed the "Z-Wave Ready" button on the lock itself - this is the left button of the two buttons near the top of the reference card. Before you install the Z-Wave daughter card this button does nothing, but once the card is installed it causes an amber light to display through the reference card on the back of your lock.
  7. Confirmed that "Unknown Z-Wave Device Excluded" displayed on my phone.
  8. Started the Z-Wave inclusion process
  9. Pressed and HELD the same button on the lock.
  10. Stopped when "Z-Wave Device Found" displayed on my phone - it will be a Generic Z-Wave Lock.

Through this pairing I was able to add codes, lock/unlock, etc. Everything I wanted. I'm hoping to be able to get battery low notifications as well, though we'll see. I was also able to move the Hubitat back much farther from the locks and the connection still worked - I think you do need to be fairly close for this pairing as it wasn't working earlier when I tried it with some distance.

Good luck! Just didn't want to leave this thread hanging since I have actually made this work.

1 Like